Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Recluse spider bites!!!**Warning graphic pics in link***

• 19-11-2004 7:40pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was just googling around for some info on spider bites(looking to see which one is the worst) and found this site:

http://www.highway60.com/mark/brs/default.asp

Just put in the search box---Pictures=Yes and Severity of bite=4.
    All the stories are from people who have been bitten by these spiders in the states.The bite causes Necrosis of tissue and the pictures are quite disturbing.Although death is rare the effects of the venom can last years.

Just though Id liven up everyones weekend with the thought that how lucky we are here to have no dangerous/venomous insects.
    Fairly horrible spider this one seems to be.
    Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

you're a very scary man richie, a very scary man lolol ;)

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

*shudder*

:( bad spiders

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

you're a very scary man richie, a very scary man lolol ;)

;)

Bit of a wierdo actually!!!!!

No seriously what got me thinking of the above was a thread I was reading on a Tarantula forum about spider bites and the fact that there have been no deaths from tarantula bites ever recorded and people dying from tarantula bites were just a myth.

The brown recluse spiders bites were also not believed for years until a test for the venom was discovered.Now there are people who were bitten years ago testing positive for the venom and who still have side effects from the bites.
    Interesting subject since these are found in nearly every part of the states aswell as one species found in the Mediterreanean(sp?).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sorry about dragging this topic up hellrazer
    Is it possible for pet Tarantulas to give the same effect as the ones in america?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tarantulas dont cause the same effect like that but there are those that are venomous like some of the Southern Asian ones like the Ornamentals(P.regalis etc) or the African ones like the Baboon spiders(C.Crawshayi for example).

The effect of their venom is generally more systematic like muscle spasm,loss os consciouness(sp) and even coma whereas the Brown recluse causes localised tissue destruction and can kill in really bad circumstances.

However no death has ever been recorded against any species of Tarantula(Latin-Theraphosidae).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Would you be able to recamend some that wouldn't have that much of a venomous bite and would be good for a begineer?
    I was looking at that bug something.co.uk site, what do you think of their begineer kits on the site?

Lenny go for any of the Brachypelma species--Mexican red knee etc.Or the grammostola species ie Chile rose.If youre going to handle the spider Chile rose,brazilian black,Pink zebra beauty are the best.As a matter of fact the Pink zebra beauty is one of my favourites.Latin name is Eupalestrus Campestratus(reason I give the latin names is because the common name is not always the same for each species.)

If you want a bit more of a challenge the Pink toes(latin-Avicularia) are great and not prone to biting but they are very fast.They are also tree dwelling and spin huge webs in their tanks.They need more heat than other Tarantulas though and also you have to learn to flick crickets up into their web for them to learn to eat.If you go for a really young one you may even need to hand feed with a long tweezers for a few weeks.Go for a Avicularia Versicolour or Avicularia Metallica--these can grow to 7+inches and are bright green to purple in colour.Try to buy a sub-adult female if possible as females live for up to 30 years and males only live for 4-8 if youre lucky.

General rule starting out is to start with New world species ie South/North America avoiding the monsters like the Goliath bird eater which will grow to 12+ inches and whose fangs are 1.5 inches long.Not venomous but the bite alone can require surgery.

Old world(Africa/Asia) are only recommended as "display" animals due to their aggressive nature.

As for where to buy-- http://www.faunology.co.uk/shop/customer/home.php?cat=262
    ship to Ireland.

Ive also bought from http://bugsdirectuk.com/tarantulas.html
    and his prices are one of the cheapest around.Metallica pinktoes babies for only 12.99 sterling.One of these over here would cost around 70-90 euros.

"If youre going to handle the spider Chile rose,brazilian black,Pink zebra beauty are the best" I assume these are the least aggressive to bites?
    what size tank would be suitable? one size does all kinda thing is it?
    if one escaped, wuld I see big webs all over the room after a day?
    I was looking at that bugs direct.. all their spiders are sold out! about them deliverying to ireland what mehtod of posting would they use? courir?thanks for your reply, what shops in town would be a good wide range to have a look at the spiders?

The above are the least aggressive.Cage size 2x1x1 glass/plastic tank with a lockable lid.As a matter of fact Ive one spare you could have to get you started.
    If one escapes it will more than likely die after a day or so in the cold.As for postage they come in registered post with a 24 hour heat pack in the container.Any Ive ever ordered arrive safely.
    Go into reptile haven in Fishamble street if you want to see them.They usually have a good selection but Ive found their prices a bit on the expensive side compared to overnight shipping from the UK.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

I found a brown recluse in my garage once. i squished the little devil.( i live in Ohio)

• Advertisement

I might take the spare one off you, how much would you be looking for and where you located as I have no car :( This garage room is usually warm enough because of the computer and the heating(which I usually turn off because it gets too ****ing hot)
    Also, spiders aren't generally expensive at all to look after at all are they? and I read somewere that they can live up to a year without eating shed some light on this, is it true? would they be ok on their own on a 2 week holiday?

Lenny wrote:
    I might take the spare one off you, how much would you be looking for and where you located as I have no car :( This garage room is usually warm enough because of the computer and the heating(which I usually turn off because it gets too ****ing hot)
    Also, spiders aren't generally expensive at all to look after at all are they? and I read somewere that they can live up to a year without eating shed some light on this, is it true? would they be ok on their own on a 2 week holiday?

You can have the tank for nothing---Im in Celbridge but could meet you somewhere.The tank has a bulb fitting in it and a 15 watt bulb is all you need.Tarantulas eat maybe 5-10 crix a month so they are very cheap to keep.They can go for months without food but its not recommended.A 2 week hol is no problem though once theyve water(leave a small container in the cage and you should be ok).
    Richie

Thanks for the offer, a suggestion to the ma there and she hit the roof. she still regrets letting me "mind" the cute little puppy that we got 10/11 years ago which just constantly barks at any noise or anything and she is not tolerating a spider in the house lol. so its either keep at her or just give up... but don't see her giving into this one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clareybear

Man, some of those brown recluse spiderbites were absolutely disgusting, and almost nothing grosses me out! And I thought I wanted to be a doctor :eek: Regardless, I still love my tarantulas!

Advertisement