Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein/IRA members found with list of TDs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Muck wrote:
    Personal Protecton weapons issued by the PSNI are not to be decommissoned , either the DUP ones or the Sinn Féin (IRA) ones.

M

Eh? We don't get personal protection weapons a chara (or do we? I might get onto my branch secretary for one fo those!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Elaborate
    Awwwwwww Puuuuuuhhhhlease DUUUUUHHHHH ! Read An Phoblacht will ya :)

http://republican-news.org/archive/1999/May06/06arm.html
    British set to arm Sinn Féin

Reports in Belfast last week have suggested that Mo Mowlam is set to issue personal protection weapons to senior members of Sinn Féin. The application for gun licences had previously been made ahead of the anticipated change in NIO policy that had blocked the issue of weapons to Sinn Féin members. Guns have already been issued to politicians from the SDLP, DUP, PUP and UDP

Yes Gerry and Martin asked the Brits for them by filling out an application form .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Muck wrote:

Yes Gerry and Martin asked the Brits for them by filling out an application form .

M

Whats the DUH for????????

Whats the DUH for????????

Damp Underarm Handgun....... for the slow learner ! :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mad Cyril

Muck wrote:

M

That suggests arming high ranking members of Sinn Féin. However it does not address the issue of Provisional IRA members retaining arms for their personal protection, which was no doubt what FTA was referring to.

• Advertisement

Iam on my knees laughing....:roll:

Mad Cyril wrote:
    That suggests arming high ranking members of Sinn Féin. However it does not address the issue of Provisional IRA members retaining arms for their personal protection, which was no doubt what FTA was referring to.

Up North they apply to her majesties government . Most at risk Provos are also "high ranking members of Sinn Féin" anyway .

Down here they are not issued . If you apply for one the Branch will 'keep and eye out' for ya .......all at the taxpayers expense.

M

Most at risk Provos are also "high ranking members of Sinn Féin" anyway .

How did you reach that conclusion? Many PIRA members are known to loyalist paramilitaries. they do not need to be high ranking members of the organisation. The suggestion of retention of weapons for defensive purposes no doubt refers to all PIRA members who would be in danger of attack after large scale decommissioning. It would be naive to think that someone in that position would be willing to hand over all the protection they have.

Mad Cyril wrote:
    retention of weapons for defensive purposes no doubt refers to all PIRA members who would be in danger of attack after large scale decommissioning.
    Not all of them, only about 50 are 'at risk' and they can join Sinn Féin as 'research' or 'finance' operatives as many already have. The rest can fúck off an get a job (and no gun) lke the rest of us. Most of them have actually gone out and done so long ago, the peak membershp of the Provos was 30 years ago. Is some guy who did a few weeks in Long Kesh in 1971 entitled to a gun ? No!
    It would be naive to think that someone in that position would be willing to hand over all the protection they have.
    Tell them to apply to her majesty for a gun licence and fúck off and get a job .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm maybe the Dastardly British are trying to arm them so they can shoot them and go "Look they had a gun" :D

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Hmm maybe the Dastardly British are trying to arm them so they can shoot them and go "Look they had a gun" :D

Even more Darwinian, The dastardly Tans have a piece of paper in a filing cabinet whereby they can prove the ' victim intended to carry a gun ' , signed by Gerry or Martin .

Why could the decommissioning body not issue the Personal Protection Weapon , rather than Her majesties underlings ?

M

Muck wrote:
    Not all of them, only about 50 are 'at risk' and they can join Sinn Féin as 'research' or 'finance' operatives as many already have. The rest can fúck off an get a job (and no gun) lke the rest of us. Most of them have actually gone out and done so long ago, the peak membershp of the Provos was 30 years ago. Is some guy who did a few weeks in Long Kesh in 1971 entitled to a gun ? No!

Tell them to apply to her majesty for a gun licence and fúck off and get a job .

M

You have misunderstood me completely. Far more than 50 members of the PIRA are in danger of attacks from loyalist gangs, that is an undesputable fact. The only point I made was that the issue of retention of arms for defensive purposes will still be a relevant and important one after any large scale decommissioning.

The rest of your post as regards people getting jobs etc has no relevance to the point I was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Muck wrote:
    Even more Darwinian, The dastardly Tans have a piece of paper in a filing cabinet whereby they can prove the ' victim intended to carry a gun ' , signed by Gerry or Martin .

Why could the decommissioning body not issue the Personal Protection Weapon , rather than Her majesties underlings ?

M

can I just ask

wtf are you talking about this is nonsense

legally held weapons north or south obviously are not covered by decommisioning
    so what is the ****ing problem
    It is getting really boring the whole blame sinn fein for everything shlte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

LVF IRA,big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

LVF IRA,big difference
    Not if you are murdered or crippled by either. And nitpick all you want on their justification, but that's ultimately what both groups do.

daveirl wrote:

They did not get rid of "explosives" they handed in a carrier bag full of pipe-bombs, these are simply 6 inch lengths of copper pipe filled with black powder from shotgun shells, hardly 2 ton fertiliser bombs. De Chastelin also stated the IRA decommisioned "explosives, and weapons of a light, medium and high ordanance" so work that out for yourself. Decommisioning is only a thing to be praised once the party concerned is fully committed to working a political process. While the LVF continues to peddle drugs and target nationalists their petty instances of putting arms beyond use are not akin to that of the IRA's.

Not if you are murdered or crippled by either. And nitpick all you want on their justification, but that's ultimately what both groups do.

Nitpicking at justification? By your logic the Nazis were akin to the Allies in WW2 because they both "ultimately crippled and murdered". A sectarian drugs-gang with neo-nazi overtones is not akin to a secular liberation movement.

FTA69 wrote:
    Nitpicking at justification? By your logic the Nazis were akin to the Allies in WW2 because they both "ultimately crippled and murdered". A sectarian drugs-gang with neo-nazi overtones is not akin to a secular liberation movement.
    I suspect you’re being a bit fanciful in your analogy. The reality is probably closer to a WW1 comparison, as I would question your romantic comparison of the IRA to the Allies in WW2 (especially if you consider the irony of WW2 collaboration between the IRA and the Nazis).

So in the case of the IRA and LVF, both are paramilitary groups that will cripple or kill those who do not conform to their ideology (or interfere in their rackets), regardless of how you want to paint one as good and the other as evil. As such the difference between them is largely academic to their dead.

My comparison had no air of romance to it, my point was that because one participant in a war killed people it does not make them comparable to sectarian neo-nazis, justification and purpose are of enormous importance when determining whether a war or particular action was justified or not.

To reiterate myself, the purpose and justification of the IRA campaign was to expel a foriegn, repressive power and to dismantle a neo-colonial apartheid state. The LVF on the other hand, sliced people's throats to the spine because they were of a particular religion. There is no comparison between the two, academic or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

the purpose and justification of the IRA campaign was to expel a foriegn, repressive power and to dismantle a neo-colonial apartheid state. The LVF on the other hand, sliced people's throats to the spine because they were of a particular religion. There is no comparison between the two, academic or otherwise.

there are more prods up north then catholics so that makes the IRA the foriegn force as there are more people there that want to be britsh there then irish. Also fighting the repressive power ie shooting at SAS men is one thing. but how is bombing a load of civialians with absoulutly no power fighting a power.

FTA69 wrote:
    To reiterate myself, the purpose and justification of the IRA campaign was to expel a foriegn, repressive power and to dismantle a neo-colonial apartheid state. The LVF on the other hand, sliced people's throats to the spine because they were of a particular religion. There is no comparison between the two, academic or otherwise.
    Whatever one may claim of the provisional IRA’s origins in the late seventies and early eighties, it now operates as a self policing and self perpetuating Mafia. Given that the democratic majority of would most likely reject a referendum to leave the UK and certainly would reject a referendum to join the Irish Republic; I find it difficult to believe your claims of foreign, repressive powers and neo-colonial apartheid states.

Indeed, most (if not all) of the provisional IRA’s activities today revolve around a mixture of vigilante and criminal activity - much like the traditional view of the Mafia. So whether I get beaten because I’m not paying protection or because I’m of another religion makes little difference at the end of the day. A thug, is a thug, is a thug.

Whatever one may claim of the provisional IRA’s origins in the late seventies and early eighties, it now operates as a self policing and self perpetuating Mafia. Given that the democratic majority of would most likely reject a referendum to leave the UK and certainly would reject a referendum to join the Irish Republic; I find it difficult to believe your claims of foreign, repressive powers and neo-colonial apartheid states.

Indeed, most (if not all) of the provisional IRA’s activities today revolve around a mixture of vigilante and criminal activity - much like the traditional view of the Mafia. So whether I get beaten because I’m not paying protection or because I’m of another religion makes little difference at the end of the day. A thug, is a thug, is a thug.

First of all the Provisional IRA originated in the late sixties, not the late seventies, also the raison d'etre of a "mafia" is to organise criminal rackets for the personal gain of those involved. Believe me when I say that there is no money to be made from being an IRA Volunteer, IRA members face futures of hardship, suffering, beatings, intimidation, imprisonment or as proved by the case of Vol Keith Rogers last year, death. The IRA is a political organisation with a political mandate and popular support in many areas, it is not a mafia as much as it suits you to call them that.

No-one is denying the wishes of those contained in the 6 County state, what I am saying is that they make up 20% of the Irish population and as such should not have a veto over the direction of the Irish nation. Like it or not the British Army are the armed force of a foriegn country, Britain and they are stationed in a seperate country from that, Ireland. The 6 Counties is just how I described it, a neo-colonial apartheid state. Look at its foundations, it was created against the will of the Irish people to give a Unionist minority a free hand to implement a system of government akin to that of South Africa with religion being the devisive factor instead of race.

Regards punishment activity, in the absence of a police force the IRA are called upon by their communities to take action against drug-dealers and anti-social elements. Your comments about people getting beaten for refusing to pay imaginery protection money confuse me, what people have been beaten by the IRA for this reason Corinthian? I am interested in hearing your vastly experienced opinion on the subject.

FTA69 wrote:
    Believe me when I say that there is no money to be made from being an IRA Volunteer, IRA members face futures of hardship, suffering, beatings, intimidation, imprisonment or as proved by the case of Vol Keith Rogers last year, death.
    Gosh you nearly had me crying there sob sob .....
    Tá brón orm faoi na h'oghlaigh bocht :(

But then I remembered you forgot to mention the holiday homes in Donegal...

I wasn't asking for your sympathy, I was simply pointing out that being an IRA Volunteer isn't a life of luxury and prosperity.

Name me an IRA Volunteer with a holiday home in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

FTA69 wrote:
    First of all the Provisional IRA originated in the late sixties, not the late seventies
    Bizarre typo upon my part.
    also the raison d'etre of a "mafia" is to organise criminal rackets for the personal gain of those involved.
    Actually the Mafia was originally formed as an alternative to the ineffectual and often corrupt government of Naples (originally Spanish) that ruled southern Italy. They were vigilantes. Sound familiar?
    No-one is denying the wishes of those contained in the 6 County state, what I am saying is that they make up 20% of the Irish population and as such should not have a veto over the direction of the Irish nation.
    Isn’t that what democracy is? Or does the Manifest Destiny of the Nation supercede this?

Of course, one might by your logic argue that we should abandon any powers of veto we have in the EU as it would be unfair influence over the direction of the European nation.
    Like it or not the British Army are the armed force of a foriegn country, Britain and they are stationed in a seperate country from that, Ireland.
    When did they cross the border and come south?
    The 6 Counties is just how I described it, a neo-colonial apartheid state. Look at its foundations, it was created against the will of the Irish people to give a Unionist minority a free hand to implement a system of government akin to that of South Africa with religion being the devisive factor instead of race.
    Is that what it is now then?
    Regards punishment activity, in the absence of a police force the IRA are called upon by their communities to take action against drug-dealers and anti-social elements. Your comments about people getting beaten for refusing to pay imaginery protection money confuse me, what people have been beaten by the IRA for this reason Corinthian? I am interested in hearing your vastly experienced opinion on the subject.
    Love that “in the absence of a police force” justification - the Mafia’s been using that line for centuries.

As for protection money, you probably should have tried running a hot dog stand in Dublin in the mid nineties to experience that.
    How about Waterford? I’ve known one or two of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FTA69 wrote:
    I wasn't asking for your sympathy, I was simply pointing out that being an IRA Volunteer isn't a life of luxury and prosperity.

Gerry Adams has a holiday home on the coast

http://lark.phoblacht.net/belfastgranny.html

http://www.artpolitic.org/infopedia/ge/Gerry_Adams.html

http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/Irelandclick/adams_stand_in_donegal11-5-01.htm

Its good to see Gerry take an interest in local matters -
    http://www.dun-na-ngall.com/atp.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

Look at its foundations, it was created against the will of the Irish people to give a Unionist minority a free hand to implement a system of government akin to that of South Africa with religion being the devisive factor instead of race.
    WHAT . there is a unionst majority in the north .

• Advertisement

Of course, one might by your logic argue that we should abandon any powers of veto we have in the EU as it would be unfair influence over the direction of the European nation.

You are misrepresenting his logic. He denies the right of the Northern state to exist, which automatically assumes it does not have the democratic right to remove itself from its national territory regardless of whether the democratic majority within wishes to do so or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement