Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio - Questions for the masses

• 23-06-2000 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭

Don't really listen to the radio for music anymore as I have most of what I want to hear either on my PC or my CD collection. I do however go out of my way to listen to the last word. Dunphy defo is a sh!t sturrer smile.gif I can't see a day when radio is obsolete to tell the truth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

in answer, in order...

1) Rarely, if ever. Last program I listened to was Dempsey's brekkie show on Today FM about a month or so ago when he was calling out ebid.ie handles. (Hear your handle called out, ring in within 30 mins and win £1,000) and thats all I listened to it for.

2) If and when I listen, it would be the Last Word or the Strawberry Alarm Clock on FM104. Just a pity they don't do repeats of the Goon Show any more.

3) As for my favourite radio show ever, it'd have to be The Goon Show (classic BBC comedy from the 1950's and 60's) - it wins hands-down. Getting more contemporary, I used to love that f*cked-up program they used to have on 104 after Adrian Kennedy at night. All the weird sick wackos from around Dublin used to call in and make total tits of themselves. Don't remember what it was called. Apart from that... the Last Word, the Strawberry Alarm Clock, or it's predecessor, the Rude Awakening... although it's been a while since I've listened to any of 'em.... apart from the Goons...

4) Oh, apart from Dunphy? Erm... am I allowed say Larry Gogan without getting beaten to a messy pulp? (JUST KIDDING!!!) ... OK, it'd be Mike Moloney from 2FM.

5) It's certainly not what it used to be, it really needs to be more intelligent and entertaining these days to even merit listening to than it used to. If video killed the radio star, wtf is the web doing?

I've said my bit...

Bard

home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Just sitting here wondering what people think of Radio these days, especially the national stations and the entertainment and content on them, a couple of quick questions...

1) Do you actually listen to the radio anymore?

2) What programmes on what stations do you listen to?

3) Your favourite radio programme is?

4) Your favourite DJ is? (Apart from Dunphy, I know we all have a weird fondness for the shít stirring bástard!)

5) With all the means of communication/entertainment/public forums these days, is radio obselete? or is radio still, in some cases, an intellegent, informed media, worthy of our attention?

Thanks in advance for answers! biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't listen anymore and haven't listened for about 3 years because I never hear the music I want to hear. I know that my tast is pretty damn far from mainstream, so I'm not very annoyed at this.

That said, I used to love Gerry Wilson on the World Web Radio slot - the hours spent having the craic on IRC listening to that fella! Then he toned it all down when 2FM had a complete reform and he sucked a$$. Ah well, c'est la vie!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the only radio i ever listen to is phantonfm.com smile.gif
    nice mix of indie and other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

1) Rarely

2) & 3) Used to listen to Chris Barry and Adrian Kennedy before they turned into Jerry Springer wanna-be's.

4) DJ? - they're all tossers imo.

5) Not as much as it used to be, but UK radio is still usefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Phantom FM is good at times , 2fm does it for me , the World Web Radio slot is top stuff , and Jazz FM is well good , same with Jam FM , if thats still up at all , but sometimes gets too dancy pancy sh1te for my liking . ALthough I find that most of the decent pirate stations are going very commercial with their 2 minutes of ads and promotions for clubs , just acting like FM 104 and the likes with less and less music every so often . And the 98 and 104 talk shows used to be a bit funny ages ago , but now they are unbearably annoying and are full of payed sh1t stirrers.

It's about a society in freefall....

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

1. Yes...sometimes
    2. Pet Sounds on TodayFm...& The Last Word
    3. The Last Word - PetSounds
    4. Tom Dunne
    5. ummm YES...especially when yer in the car!

ps. check out http://www.licksy.net/mp3.htm

www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

[This message has been edited by Licksy20 (edited 27-06-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

2fm.
    uaneen fitzsimons show.. load of great new music on that.. brilliant selection of stuff.

Advertisement