Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Ripwave still causing you problems??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

GreeBo wrote:
    Its a crying shame that they couldnt have made this a stable product. The modems would have walked out the door if the service was there.
    :(
    I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 appsy

Hi guys,
    Wanted to know if anyone is using ripwave or the breeze products
    in marino and if so how do they find them. as I am thinking of
    getting one of them.

Also does anyone know when ntl will be available in the area ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ardent wrote:
    Just to provide an update:

It's been three days since my rant on this thread and all is well again with the world! I didn't get the name of the IBB support guy I was talking to on Monday but whatever he did (he spotted it straight away whatever it was) has resolved the issues I've been having with their Ripwave service. Over the last two days, from what I can tell, my modem has not dropped it's connection once and my bandwidth has pretty much returned to what it was at when I first joined IBB's service. The acid test is this weekend but the signs so far are very good.

I'm very grateful for the way the support guy on Monday listened to my grievance - I was fairly irate on Monday - and for spotting a way to improve my service. One his colleagues, who I had had several conversations with prior to Monday, kept fobbing me off in a very annoying way and either chose to ignore the obvious quick fix he implemeted or was simply not aware of it.

I don't know what the moral of this story is, maybe that some support staff care more about their customers than others and that you should you keep calling back until you get someone who actually gives a sh*t or knows what they're doing.

Let me know how it goes over the weekend. I had virtually no service this week but it seems to be working fine this morning, which is nice. I'm contemplating upgrading to the breeze but will this solve the issue. Does the breeze work??

sprinkles wrote:
    Let me know how it goes over the weekend. I had virtually no service this week but it seems to be working fine this morning, which is nice. I'm contemplating upgrading to the breeze but will this solve the issue. Does the breeze work??
    I went from ripwave (WHICH DIDNT WORK FOR ME) to breeze 1 meg lite, i am VERY satisified, very good overall service, however i waited ages for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ripwave is awful tonight on 3 rock. I've been averaging 5.4 kb/sec all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

at least im not getting dropped every ten seconds, wanky ****ing three rock.

I'm gonna ring them and ask to be put on the sandyford industrial estate mast tomorrow, see if thats any better, couldnt be any ****ing worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I think it would be a good idea if everyone just sent their Ripwave modems back and just tell IBB to stick it.
    It's not good enough for IBB to promise a service they can't deliver -
    Navini's catchphrase is "internet at the speed of thought." They should have picture of someone with learning difficulties next to their caption.

mrplop wrote:
    I think it would be a good idea if everyone just sent their Ripwave modems back and just tell IBB to stick it.
    It's not good enough for IBB to promise a service they can't deliver -
    Navini's catchphrase is "internet at the speed of thought." They should have picture of someone with learning difficulties next to their caption.
    It seems to be a good description of about 90% of ripwaves users, just doesnt seem to be able to deliver a good enough service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Anyone have bad pings on IBB last night ?? MINE was really unstable !!!!

D

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=924ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=405ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=601ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=499ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 405ms, Maximum = 924ms, Average = 607ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

sprinkles wrote:

Sprinkles, I wasn't at home all weekend but I was able to remotely check whether I was connected or not - I was connected whenever I checked.

Also, on inspection since Monday night, my bandwidth has been rock solid. My download speeds are typically 57k/sec, I haven't seen any disconnections in over a week. I'm a happy camper again. When it works, Ripwave is a brilliant product.

• Advertisement

"when" being the main word, LOL :D

when being the very operative word, I rang them today to ask them to lock me onto the rte base station, I don't think it will help, but its the second last step before i cancel, the last step is getting them to lock me onto three rock instead of having me on nomadic, and if they don't work, then I'm going for a refund :(

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 9ms

YEHARRRRRRRRRR PING IS BACK !!!!!!

this is a ripwave thread drapper, you low ping bastard

Lol

OPsssssssssss sorry !!!! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ffs, i hate when people post off topic like that. A friend of mine is on IBB at the moment seeing as it's his only viable option at the moment. ADSL can't reach him, lines aren't good enough, and he's about 100 meters away from the nearest ntl connection (bummer) . The thing that gets me is, he doesn't seem to mind the fact that he gets low speeds and stuff all the time, he's definatly not getting the service he paid for, and from the likes of it neither are any of you.

Chairman of Ireland Offline and some top brass from IBB were on Newstalk 106.8 there yesterday debating this and the IBB guy was constantly saying things like 'well adsl isn't your only option... wireless broadband requires no extra equipment accept and ariel and modem....' i'm sorry.... the ariel aint extra equipment? Since when? I know it sounds kinda childish but it really annoys me when people say things like that, especially seeing as the IBB guy hadn't got a clue most of the time when asked questions by the presenter, yet Damien was trying to butt in with the answers and the present wouldn't let him speak. Well not that he wouldn't let him speak... just kinda ignored his answers in general and tended to focus more on the IBB guy. I'm surprised that they didn't have a phone in... ALOT off irate IBB customers would have gotten on then, as i'm sure most of you would have too.

The reason they actually had this debate is because of some guy who was literally only few meters away from the Guiness mast, was the only one he could pick up and yet couldn't get a signal... strange no?

Anyways, bottom line is... IBB shoud stand for Irish Bloated Bollocks (which is basically what they feed you over the phone with their poor excuses anyways...). Ohh and the installation costs are phenominal.

That said (just to make a few people jealous) i'm on NTL 1.5Mbit connection and get top constant download speeds of 190kbps...

*walks away whistling trying to avoid the taunts and broken glass being hurled at him...*

But there a lot of people on the breeze package having no problems 1meg up 1meg down. it is a known fact that the ripwave product in general is sub-standard, IBB would be better off discontinuing it or improving it dramatically. But their breeze product seems to be great, ive had it for about a month now and no issues and i know plenty of people have had it over a year and no bother either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Just as an update in general:

About 3-4 weeks ago, my rock solid ripwave performance nose dived dramatically...as it did for a number of others, judging by the sudden increase in ripwave posts here. Anywho, a lot of very shaky connections later, things seem to have come full circle in the last week or two. My ripwave connection is now performing as it did before all the problems began, my pings have returned to 105-115 average to jolt.co.uk, and download speeds generally max out around 59KBs (!).

Its a shame - although RipWave CAN be made to work well, it looks like its simply not mature enough yet for wise scale deployment. It seems to be pot luck whether you will get a good connection, rather than any kind of scientific approach IBB can take to ensure it will work for you. Breeze works well because...well, you either have line of site or not, and if you have LOS, it just works(tm). Well, mostly :)

It was foolhardy (some might say brave) of IBB to launch this technology without giving it a proper trial - a proper trial would have shown that its prone to, er, being a bit crap at picking up signals. But who knows? Maybe a firmware upgrade out of the blue might suddenly make it all better, but I think it basically just comes down to an inherent limitation in the technology used.

Wah, rambling a bit, sorry :)

- lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mine went down altogether at about 12 last night, so I went to bed.
    This morning I had a quick check and it was back up and actually seemed quite nippy i.e. I could actually browse the internet.

It was almost like having broadband in your own home. /me wipes tear from eye

I'll do some proper tests later and report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Greebo, I experienced the same last night. From about 7 PM till late. Mad spiking, dial-up speeds at times.

Rang IBB, fearing they had changed something on their end and fecked up my service again. The support guy explained the 40:1 contention (like doh!) and suggested that what I was experiencing was perhaps due to everyone being on at the same line at the same time. (I argued the point that maybe everyone should be getting acceptable bandwidth regardless but I got the impression he didn't want to enter a debate on that.)

Anyway, my download speeds are back to normal again today. So, can I ask everyone on the Guinness masts to please not use the internet between 6 PM and 12 PM on weekdays and at weekends? It help me out a lot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Achilles wrote:
    ffs, i hate when people post off topic like that. A friend of mine is on IBB at the moment seeing as it's his only viable option at the moment. ADSL can't reach him, lines aren't good enough, and he's about 100 meters away from the nearest ntl connection (bummer) . The thing that gets me is, he doesn't seem to mind the fact that he gets low speeds and stuff all the time, he's definatly not getting the service he paid for, and from the likes of it neither are any of you.

Chairman of Ireland Offline and some top brass from IBB were on Newstalk 106.8 there yesterday debating this and the IBB guy was constantly saying things like 'well adsl isn't your only option... wireless broadband requires no extra equipment accept and ariel and modem....' i'm sorry.... the ariel aint extra equipment? Since when? I know it sounds kinda childish but it really annoys me when people say things like that, especially seeing as the IBB guy hadn't got a clue most of the time when asked questions by the presenter, yet Damien was trying to butt in with the answers and the present wouldn't let him speak. Well not that he wouldn't let him speak... just kinda ignored his answers in general and tended to focus more on the IBB guy. I'm surprised that they didn't have a phone in... ALOT off irate IBB customers would have gotten on then, as i'm sure most of you would have too.

The reason they actually had this debate is because of some guy who was literally only few meters away from the Guiness mast, was the only one he could pick up and yet couldn't get a signal... strange no?

Anyways, bottom line is... IBB shoud stand for Irish Bloated Bollocks (which is basically what they feed you over the phone with their poor excuses anyways...). Ohh and the installation costs are phenominal.

That said (just to make a few people jealous) i'm on NTL 1.5Mbit connection and get top constant download speeds of 190kbps...

*walks away whistling trying to avoid the taunts and broken glass being hurled at him...*

Agree 100% with this post. Ripwave has been a huge dissappointment to me, €100 connection fee down the drain. I've had it 3 months now and never had period when the signal has been constantly strong, you could be writing an email and the signal would just dissappear. We're surfing at home when the signal dictates and that to me is not 'always on internet'. Anyway, at the start of the last billing month I wrote to IBB (and phoned them) saying that I wanted to discontinue my account with them, asking them not to bill me again and to contact me about where to send the modem back to. I've not been billed since but no one is answering my mails about where to send the modem back to so it's just sitting there, red led blinking like an expensive Christmas decoration.

I have signed up for NTL BB and they're coming to install us tomorrow, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well Ive had nothing at all so far this weekend.
    95/100 packets dropped.
    Stupid phuckers dont even support over the weekend.
    Anyone have a contract around anywhere, I cant remember what the minimum service level is, though Im pretty sure its higher than 0kB's. :mad:

GreeBo wrote:
    well Ive had nothing at all so far this weekend.
    95/100 packets dropped.
    Stupid phuckers dont even support over the weekend.
    Anyone have a contract around anywhere, I cant remember what the minimum service level is, though Im pretty sure its higher than 0kB's. :mad:

Contract tis on the website !!!! ohhh yeah you got no connection !!! Sorrrrrryyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fig

after the third weekend in a row plus multiple outages during the week, I've given up and rang irishbroadband to return their product. Tuesday is their day to pick it up.

I can see the top of the rte tower from my bedroom, so I would expect that signal is no problem. (except if I stuck the modem under the bed).

but right now, its as solid as the first 2 weeks in november when I got it. I thought it was a great product. if the red light shows, then I dont know if its going to be 2 minutes or two days off-line.

for the record,
    $ ping -c 4 www.boards.ie
    PING www.boards.ie (82.195.131.130) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from boards.ie (82.195.131.130): icmp_seq=1 ttl=61 time=128 ms
    64 bytes from boards.ie (82.195.131.130): icmp_seq=2 ttl=61 time=129 ms
    64 bytes from boards.ie (82.195.131.130): icmp_seq=3 ttl=61 time=129 ms
    64 bytes from boards.ie (82.195.131.130): icmp_seq=4 ttl=61 time=129 ms

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 26739ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 128.739/129.243/129.555/0.310 ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Drapper wrote:
    Contract tis on the website !!!! ohhh yeah you got no connection !!! Sorrrrrryyyyy

That has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on Boards.

How the hell did he post to boards with no internet connection???
    :p

AHHH, i never thought of that eiher, LOL

ballooba wrote:
    That has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on Boards.

How the hell did he post to boards with no internet connection???
    :p

well how is he online if he got no signal ????? Maybe lyinh !!! I was being sarcastic you dumb git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Behave, children.

• Advertisement

Agreed

Advertisement