Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations Shels

• 19-11-2004 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Well done lads for winning the Eircom League for the second year in the row. Now we can look forward to being seeded in Europe next year :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

conqrats to cork for their great run aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Shels have confirmed that they signed the three players from Bohs !! Feck Shels are going to be some team next year !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ehhhcksellent! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

that team and crowe, hawkins & ryan, happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Nuttzz wrote:
    that team and crowe, hawkins & ryan, happy days :D

more like monopoly , Shelbourne could easily become the Rosenborg of Irish football .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Ears wrote:
    more like monopoly , Shelbourne could easily become the Rosenborg of Irish football .

I was thinking that very thing this evening as the match came to an end.

Rosenborg have a crap turnout at their league matches IIRC, no more than a couple of thousand. Get full houses for the CL games.

I await the bitter Pats/Bohs/Cork/ABSers on thread for some humble pie... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Quality night, to win it in Inchicore was very special. The game wasnt great, referee was abysmal but it doesnt matter now.

Did anyone hear Ollie Byrne giving out about Bohs not playing the 3 players Shels signed tonight? - "Small teams have small minds" He has a point but its not the type of thing he should be saying after just winning the league.

Shels are gonna have great competition for places all over the pitch now, but especially in midfield. I reckon Alan Moore will leave, something about his body language tonight said he didnt really belong.

PS - AFAIK Hawkins, Crowe and Ryan live together, that cant be bad for a bit of team spirit !!!

Champions League next year anyone?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I reckon Alan Moore will leave, something about his body language tonight said he didnt really belong.

He hasn't looked right all season, only time he seemed to want to be there was for the CL games.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    PS - AFAIK Hawkins, Crowe and Ryan live together, that cant be bad for a bit of team spirit !!!

There's got to be a rumour in there somewhere... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

So $hell$ have won the league it could have be worse im not sure how though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Did anyone hear Ollie Byrne giving out about Bohs not playing the 3 players Shels signed tonight? - "Small teams have small minds" He has a point but its not the type of thing he should be saying after just winning the league.

Small minded my bollix! If for example Arsenal had just snatched Rooney & VanNistelrooy from ManU in the closing week of the season and then Fergusons lot were playing in a game that could (with a positive result) deny the Arze qualification for the CL 2005-06 (and therefore close the gap finanically etc) do you not think even he'd have done the exact same thing?

Ollie Byrne is a blathering arsehole ... but then we've always known that.

Sorry to sound like I have sour grapes but, what with all that's happened on & off the pitch, today is a dark and ominous day for EL soccer IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Brutal game... It only came to life in the last 15 minutes when Pats actually decided to come out and play.

Congrats to Shels though, they were the best team all season. Hopefully Cork will be able to put more of a challenge to them next season, which I'm sure they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Shels were the best team this season, from a BOHS fan. Very sad to see the trio go. Shels could well become Rosenborgesque. (check dictionary!)

Congrats to Cork too for doing what we couldnt - string a few victories together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ah well **** won it in the end , hard luck Cork.

Must be a nice change to win a league on the pitch.

kdjac

Must be a nice change to win a league on the pitch.
    HAHAHA.

Roll on next year is all I can say !! Champions league here we come. Pat Fenlon is building already and depending on the draw we could be watching Shelbourne in the group stages of the C.L or UEFA Cup.

Shels defintely deserved the League, they are by far the most professional outfit in the league and I couldnt see anyway Cork City FC were going win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Champions, Champions, Champions, Champions, Champions, Champions.

Was back in Tolka last night, and it was class, good night of celebration.

Best bits of the season?

Davey Scouse's goal against Hajduk Split

Injury time against CHF and they score a goal to make it 2-2, then we go and score straight from the kick off, that was class.

Glen Fitz's goals in Landsdowne against Lille.

What a season, and to top it off we win the league in Inchicore, in that shít hole.

KdjaC wrote:
    Ah well **** won it in the end , hard luck Cork.
    You bitter bastard.

seansouth wrote:

You bitter bastard.

This whole "we hate you Shels DIE! DIE! DIE!" just doesnt seem to sink in with you.

Do you honestly think any EL fan is really going to say well done to Shels and mean it?
    If Cork had of won it , we all be saying well done congrats etc: and meant it but only 5 people like Shels. Your the Man Utd of Ireland enjoy it, you could win the Champions league next year and we still all hate you.

:)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'd be very proud of my team if they played for a draw against a poor SPA side. :rolleyes:

I'd also be a proud supporter of a team who can only bring about 1000 people to an away match that was just a bus ride away from you. :rolleyes:

City didnt do their part of the bargain last night, but that was due to some of the worst refereeing ever seen (not an excuse, I heard the ref in Inchicore was tripe also).

City will win the title next season. Shels will have too many stars, won't be able to keep them all happy.

gimmick wrote:
    I'd be very proud of my team if they played for a draw against a poor SPA side. :rolleyes:

Why bother exerting oneself when you can take it easy against a poor SPA side, still win the league and have enough left in the tank for a night on the tiles after to celebrate...

I expect Fat Pat and the Village to be also-rans next season as well.

'Mon the Shels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Congrats to Shels , was a poor final game but they did the business throughout the season to fully deserve the title .... Kdjac :( ... since when did you get elected to Eircom League Fans spokesperson ... you should get used to Shels winning cos they're just gonna get better and better , Pats for the drop next year ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

KdjaC wrote:
    This whole "we hate you Shels DIE! DIE! DIE!" just doesnt seem to sink in with you.

Do you honestly think any EL fan is really going to say well done to Shels and mean it?
    If Cork had of won it , we all be saying well done congrats etc: and meant it but only 5 people like Shels. Your the Man Utd of Ireland enjoy it, you could win the Champions league next year and we still all hate you.

Good, wouldn't want it any other way :)

• Advertisement

LizardKing wrote:
    Kdjac :( ... since when did you get elected to Eircom League Fans spokesperson ... you should get used to Shels winning cos they're just gonna get better and better , Pats for the drop next year ....

Since i actually go to games :) I hope you get better and better league needs another Rovers and somfin for other teams to catch up to. Nice feeling winning 2 in a row isnt it ?

Would bet on Pats for the league with our new signings and our mix of youth (yah know it is possible to bring players tru U21 rather than buying mercenarys)
    Just need a striker to get us 20 goals, Doyle not up to it Markey a waste of a pair of boots and O Keefe too young, maybe Caffrey can do it.

Altho how God Mark 2 will be repalced i dunno , there wont be another player like Osam in the league for years.

kdjac

Fenlon unveils Shels development plan
    22/11/2004 - 16:07:07
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2004/11/22/story177082.html

Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon’s rebuilding for next season and a bid for a hat-trick of titles continued today.

Fenlon, who saw his current squad deliver a second eircom League championship in succession last Friday night, today confirmed details of five new signings he has made so far and released the names of six players who have been released by the champions.

As expected, Republic of Ireland striker Glen Crowe tops the list of new recruits and has signed a four-year contract. Joining him in an exodus from Bohemians will be winger Bobby Ryan and defender Colin Hawkins, both on three-year deals.

Also transferring to Shels will be Gary O’Neill from Dublin City while Richie Baker is rejoining the club after a season in United States Major League Soccer with New England Revolution. Both have signed two-year contracts.

Those making an exit from the Tolka Park dressing room are defenders Alan McDermott and Tony McCarthy, midfielder Thomas Morgan and strikers Ger McCarthy, Alan Murphy and Juan Sara.

According to Shelbourne’s official website, Fenlon also wants to make at least one more signing, with right-back his priority, while he is planning on sending 20-year-old striker Gerard Rowe out on loan in an effort to get him regular first-team football. Fenlon has ordered his 2005 squad back for pre-season training on January 27.

The planning for E.L and Europe 2005 has begun already!!! :)

Sad to see Jaun Sara gone, he was a true Shels legend!!!!

Ger Mac and Tommy Morgan should get good clubs.

LizardKing wrote:
    Kdjac ... since when did you get elected to Eircom League Fans spokesperson
    KdjaC wrote:
    Since i actually go to games
    Crawl out of your own arse there mate. I go to games too (So does LizardKing, and thejollyroger afaik), and I don't come in here pontificating about the views of fans of any other club.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Would bet on Pats for the league
    Go, on, put your house on it.
    KdjaC wrote:
    (yah know it is possible to bring players tru U21 rather than buying mercenarys)
    We didn't buy anyone, they all came on frees!

seansouth wrote:
    Sad to see Jaun Sara gone, he was a true Shels legend!!!!

The stuff of legends. He came, he sat in the stands, he played poorly in U21 games, he didn't make his debut and he left. What a guy.

We've such an amazing squad now, espically in mid field, I haven't a clue what Nutsy will pick in mid field next season but I'd imagine there'll be alot of rotation.

This would be my fist choice XI for next season.

GK : Willo

RB : Owen
    CH : Jamie
    CH : Hawkins
    LB : Scouser

RM : Ryan
    CM : Stuey
    CM : Moore
    LM : Ollie

ST: Jayo
    ST : Crowe

You can't leave out Ndo though, he's probably our best mid fielder. And I think Wes will feature alot next year for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Cork only took a single point out of a possible twelve from Shels, that in itself is a fairly damning indictment of why City didn't win the league. I'm confident next season though, that we can build on our European success and just maybe take the extra step and take the title.

It'll be interesting to see how Shels do in Europe next season, it looks like they might be banking a fair bit of money on making some progress in Europe. A bad season and they might go the way of Shamrock Rovers.

I agree with Slash/ED. Ndo has to be in the starting 11 if he is fully fit ;)

I wonder who Fenlon will pick up for right back ??

but WHAT A TEAM !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

D'ya think Shels could do with a LB?

eirebhoy wrote:
    D'ya think Shels could do with a LB?

The scouser, Dave Rogers, is a fine left back. Crawley is pretty hopeless though, but Hawkins signing means Rogers can go back to being a left back again.

Slash/ED wrote:
    The scouser, Dave Rogers, is a fine left back.
    I disagree.

I think Jamie Harris has made the Scouser's season. I think Harris tells Scouse what to do, how to play and position himself. There have been times when Scouse has been out in the LB position this season, and this has resulted in disaster, and I think people have tended to blame the replacement CB, usually Kev Doherty, but there have been others.

I think Dave Crawley has had a fine season, and was very consistant through the Euro run. I think sometimes Ollie Cahill makes him look suspect, because when Cahill drifts out if a game, he never drifts back in, therefore leaving the LB more exposed.

I'd even think about dropping Ollie, and pushing Wes out there. Wes has been used as a right winger this season, but it is not his best position.

Ill say it again - Shels will not progress past the preliminary in next seasons CL. Too confident, and they will probably have a squad that is fighting.

Crowe and Byrne, while two proven strikers (and I think possibly anyone can say that their 2 strikers have been capped by Ireland), will probably not complement each oter, meaning that one or the other will be spending a nice bit of time on the bench.

Ditto for midfield. Moore, Stuey Byrne, Ndo, all for 2 positions? I can see Byrne opting out of that.

Then Ryan, Cahill and Hoolihan? Again, one big ego will loose out here, and wont stand for it, knowing he will walk into any eL team.

The future is bleak for Shels if Fenlon doesnt control the situation impeccably, and I cant see Mr Oliver Byrne being too sympathetic or patient either.

gimmick wrote:
    The future is bleak for Shels if Fenlon doesnt control the situation impeccably, and I cant see Mr Oliver Byrne being too sympathetic or patient either.

:D

Yeah, wouldn't you like to think so

As for LB, scouser was oustanding there last season. I think he got into TV3s team of the season as a LB, not saying much okay but it says something. We had the best defence in the league last season and he was left back most of it.

And I just don't rate Dave "hoof the ball" Crawley. He gives away the ball more times then the rest of our team combined, I've never seen him not punt it even when he's under no pressure whatsoever. He also has no pace, so when faced with a fast winger he gets destroyed. Now, he does have a good left foot and is a good crosser/free kick taker, but the bad more than outweighs the good. Scouser is a far far superior fullback and kept Crawley out of the team last season in that position.

If I'd drop Ollie, I'd move Moore out there, Wes is better in the middle than out wide, left or right. I actually think if anything he's better on the right than the left as he cuts in more, he's also seriously improved on his right foot and can now cross very well on it (Plus score spectacular goals on it if Waterford is anything to go by).

gimmick, I think your just hoping for the downfall of the best E.L club in Ireland. Well its not going to happen:D. Fenlon is one of the best managers in the country, if not THE BEST. Players joining Shelbourne know that its a club on the rise, thay know that with such a big squad of talented players not everyone can play at once. Having such a big squad is great for competition for places. If a player isnt producing the goods he knows that he wont get regular first team football. Plus everyone is on contracts so they wont be walking anywhere !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Heres my Provisional Squad Placements for next season

a lot of healthy fighting for positions i forsee :)

GK - Williams / Delaney

2 - Heary / New Player ??

4 - Harris / Hawkins

5 - Rogers / Doherty

3 - Crawley / Rogers

7 - Cahill / Ryan

8 - S Byrne / Ndo

6 - J Crawford / A Moore

11 - Wes Houlihan / R Baker

9 - G Crowe / G Fitzpatrick

10 - J Byrne / G Rowe

Obviously a few areas double up and players can cover 2 positions but it does look very promising IMO ... roll on 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LizardKing wrote:
    8 - S Byrne / Ndo

6 - J Crawford / A Moore
    The 2 holding midfielder Byrne and Crawford will be fighting it out for that position with Ndo and Moore in competition for the other. I'm sure you'll see 3 of them on the pitch together every now and then though.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

eirebhoy wrote:
    The 2 holding midfielder Byrne and Crawford will be fighting it out for that position with Ndo and Moore in competition for the other. I'm sure you'll see 3 of them on the pitch together every now and then though.
    Yeah, they usually play the 5 man midfield in Europe anyway...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So when is this inter ireland cup taking place?
    Is it going to happen this season or next?

jank wrote:
    So when is this inter ireland cup taking place?
    Is it going to happen this season or next?
    It is on in March.

Shels, CVFC and Longford have qualified, and AFAIK Linfield, Glentoran and Portadown from the Irish League.

Should be good

• Advertisement

oh seansouth whats with the CVFC??

what does the v mean?

village.

Its the ha ha ha HI-Larious way $h€£$ ( :eek: ) call Cork City FC, Cork Village FC.

On the original question, the Setanta cup is to be next March/April, but the NI teams know even less about it than us, not to mention, in a recent interview, the marketing bloke with Setanta said he knew nada of it either.

So it doesnt look too clear.

Oh right! Well at least the village can get break the 4 figure mark in terms of attendances :p

dont worry about who's in it, Shelbourne is going to clean up and the €300,000 is going to come in handy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dont worry about who's in it, Shelbourne is going to clean up and the €300,000 is going to come in handy.:)

Id like to see Cork get the dough , as it would hopefully give them a better chance of competing with Shels next year .

Big Ears wrote:
    Id like to see Cork get the dough , as it would hopefully give them a better chance of competing with Shels next year .

Dont care who wins it but each EL team better seriouslt thump whoever they playing from the north.

Odd altho i want Shels to crahs burn in Europe i would like to see them thumping Linfield or whoever they get.

Tis great being fickle :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

seansouth wrote:
    Crawl out of your own arse there mate. I go to games too (So does LizardKing, and thejollyroger afaik),

I go to mostly all blues home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

jank wrote:
    Oh right! Well at least the village can get break the 4 figure mark in terms of attendances :p

Good one, don't exagerate or anything will you?

So Jank how many Shelbourne match have you been to that have had less than 1000 people there? I've been going to home and away matches on and off since '95 and I can't recall being to one with that amount (except maybe away matches at UCD). :rolleyes:

Shelbourne have a regular, vocal crowd and it's nowhere near as bad as some make out. Also, poor attendances are a problem for the whole league not just one team in particular.

SteM wrote:
    Good one, don't exagerate or anything will you?

So Jank how many Shelbourne match have you been to that have had less than 1000 people there? I've been going to home and away matches on and off since '95 and I can't recall being to one with that amount (except maybe away matches at UCD). :rolleyes:

Touched a nerve have i? :D

Im just saying that the so called real reds of ireland have crap home attendences while the village are the best supported team in the country.
    Thats a fact isnt?

And dont even use the excuse of 20 odd thousand watching shelbourne in europe as the vast majority of them were EL supporters and football supporters in general.

• Advertisement
Advertisement