Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you published anything?

Options
  • 19-11-2004 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    this is probably more for postgrads (though plenty of undergrads publish papers too).
    I was talking to a few PhD students in other departments about publications (peer reviewed papers,book chapters and the like). My supervisor is strongly pro-publications so I've a few out there already and I should have a few more when I finally submit.
    Everyone in my group does the same, so I reckon the average is heading for 6-8 per person by the time they're ready to submit.
    There's no departmental requirement to publish, there was talk of making a single publication mandatory but I don't think it went through.

I'd be interested to hear what the story is in your place, I know that some of the people I was talking to wouldn't have any plans to publish ever. Their supervisors would be against it for whatever reason.

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, perhaps in some areas it would be disadvantageous to reveal some of your findings before your thesis is finished but in most cases, I think it's good to be able to list some published articles on your CV. I managed to get an article that I wrote as part of a summer research job I did as an undergraduate published in a fairly prestigious book and I'm pretty sure it was a factor in my getting a scholarship for postgrad research. It's also a way to get possible future employers aquainted with your name and research interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If your PhD work has generated some published papers, it's generally accepted that that makes your viva much easier on you as your work has already been peer reviewed at a high level; and if you want a career in academia, it really is publish or perish.
    6 to 8 papers by the time you sit your viva is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Sparks wrote:
    6 to 8 papers by the time you sit your viva is pretty decent.

and that's only average for my group! The latest thing is writing book chapters. I'm involved in 2 atm.

That's basically my supervisor's thinking - once the papers are peer reviewed they're as good as set in stone and that's one thing less to be quizzed on in the viva.

I don't know about a career in academia though. I'm not at all sure what I'll do when I finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

my undergrad thesis is to be published, comp sci paper. Supervisor was really into publishing.

Advertisement