Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealth Games? Whats the point

Options
  • 19-11-2004 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Was just playing Splinter Cell 2 and gave up after failing 4 times cause I kept shootin people and getting caught.

Theres not enough mindless shooting games a lot of the new games are getting too realitic and you can't do what you want. :mad:

Any suggestions on games? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I enjoyed Splinter Cell 2. Not the best game ever but decent. It isn't a very hard game, some parts are a little challanging but thats it. Some of the situations have different routes or alternative ways to complete the task at hand. Try them all. You will figure out what works soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oden_91

I have a twitchy finger so its a bit of a problem getting around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well your wrong. There are tons of mindless shooting games if you cared to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

oden_91 wrote:
    I have a twitchy finger so its a bit of a problem getting around :(
    So do I :D
    Usually play the level with all guns blazing first and see where it gets me. Then try the stealth approach, works better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

NURSE! 3 cds of Painkiller for this poor chap, STAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Splinter Cell is a great game, although online play normally involves a shower or morons all who want to play "Sam Shepard does Deathmatch". Still not as bad as Rainbow six where you have muppets who think they should be to "Spray and Pray" or spend 10 minutes tying up your squad because they don't realise you need to take a gun out of your hands to get up a ladder.

You need to ease up the trigger finger there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try Deus Ex2. You can do the stealth approach. Or shoot everything that moves. A mate did the stealth appoach. I shot eveybody who saw me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

the_syco wrote:
    Try Deus Ex2. You can do the stealth approach. Or shoot everything that moves. A mate did the stealth appoach. I shot eveybody who saw me.
    Probabyl the only redeeming feature of an otherwise pants sequel, was the variety of ways the end objective could be achieved...... but it still sucked :( looked forward to that gaem so much too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Go play the Thief series of games, great introduction to stealth type games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Hitman is good. Hitman 2 is disappointing because the levels seem less well-designed, and you can somply blast your way through too often. You are better off just playing Quake/Unreal/HL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

tman wrote:
    NURSE! 3 cds of Painkiller for this poor chap, STAT!

Indeed.

Actual MSN convo when Splinter Cell was 1st out.

Me: Yo you get Splinter Cell yet?
    Mate: Nope , any good?
    Me: Well yeah if you enjoy sitting in a alleyway for 3 hours waiting for a guard to pass before you knock him out and hide his body.
    Mate: hmm sounds boring
    Me: It is kinda but strangley addictive, somehow i enjoyed sitting in the alley , think i a closest stalker.
    :)

he got it and loved it. If you like the slow approach it can be good. But if you wanna murder everything in sight , painkiller or serious sam.

kdjac

Ah serious sam, legendary game, cant beat it with a stick for raw fire power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Well said Pugsley. I remember one particular scene from the first one where you go across a large pit of spikes and turn a corner to be met by about 500 kleer skeletons. Grenades, rockets, lasers and bullets everywhere for about 5 minutes without taking my finger off the trigger while backpedalling furiously and diving left and right to avoid incoming lunges.

Then the second wave arrives :D.

That said, the thief series contains some of the most well designed and thoroughly enjoyable games ever made (Looking glass studios, you shall be remembered). Just because they emphasise different areas of gameplay doesn't make them less valid as games. Stealth games and mindless shoot'em'ups are just completely different genres regardless of whether they share a similar viewpoint.

Different games for different people I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stealth games are all well and good - you buy one - you know what you're letting yourself in for. What I don't like is the annoying trend of shoehorning stealth levels into totally unrelated games. We've already had them in Zelda, Tomb Raider and even Tony Hawk's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Steven wrote:
    Well said Pugsley. I remember one particular scene from the first one where you go across a large pit of spikes and turn a corner to be met by about 500 kleer skeletons. Grenades, rockets, lasers and bullets everywhere for about 5 minutes without taking my finger off the trigger while backpedalling furiously and diving left and right to avoid incoming lunges.

Then the second wave arrives :D.

I remember that part of Serious Sam very well. The amount of enemies you had to kill was fantastic. Serious Sam 2 any good? I might buy it on budget if it is a good as the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ionapaul wrote:
    I remember that part of Serious Sam very well. The amount of enemies you had to kill was fantastic. Serious Sam 2 any good? I might buy it on budget if it is a good as the first.

Just better looking , same insane killing spree as the 1st so yes its damn good.

SS3 nearing completion should be out next summer , wonder what to expect :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

KdjaC wrote:
    Just better looking , same insane killing spree as the 1st so yes its damn good.

SS3 nearing completion should be out next summer , wonder what to expect :)

kdjac
    i'd forgotten all about this.
    the video from e3 looked fairly goddamned promising... vehicles, tasty physics, shiny graphics... and serious sam :)

ionapaul wrote:
    More of the same, the end boss is nowhere near as good as the endb oss to SS1, but the gameplay as a whole is still mindless fun, great stuff, 2 new weapons are both pretty good too. You PC may hate you however playing 8 people in co-op on the last level all with flamers however. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Serious Sam was Doom reinvented...it was class...

Advertisement