Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reply to yehaaaaa

Options
  • 20-11-2004 1:35am
    Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭

Lol sorry i could not reply guys i was given a little ban. Thing was i typed it out in word and copy and pasted it over but it left out a whole paragraph about the garda thing, lol did not see it (head was a bit sore to notice lol)

What i was getting at was one thing but i had the whole was done in the line of duty but hey that never went in sorry again about that.

What happened was they ( the bad dudes ) were knocking off a post office and had cut the phone cables we came across on of them who then drove off at speen we followed and a high speed chase started (heart pumping stuff) hit crazy speeds but hell we were going to take him down ( bad boys tune starts to play )

After alot of bad bends just north of jack whites he spun out his car, we came around the bend and lost it on the muck that he flung out on the road when he hit the ditch our car spun and we hit with the other car we then went airborne over his and barell rolled for quite a distance (not much left of the car) with the blood pumping we kicked out the door of our mangled car and gave chase on foot loosing him in the woods. None the less however bad we are hurt he is hurting more lol. the saving grace was the fact that we had our seatbelts on but god damn it man it was hairy for a while at that speed i would guess that the odd of coming out of it in one peice is very slim. I'm off work for the next while due to delayed injury ( did not feel pain till next day ) but i count my blessings i really should be dead noone can understand how we made it out when they saw they cars.

In case anyone is interested the car had one tire left intact if anyone needs it :) i owe my ass to that belt yeah granted its what is after screwing me up but better sore than 6 feet under. Lol i have to admit in all fairness i was laughing all day after because we walked from it. Kinda does not kick in for a day or so just how near to death we came thats deffo 8 of my 9 lives gone.

So next time you get a ticket for not seat belt think of it lucky its a ticket your name is on and not a grave stone

At least this time i've read this over over and its all there this time lol

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

i would have included all that in my last trread but i was banned before i knew about it. Lol it was EYE who told me about the storm and when i went to fix it lol could not. But i think this about explains it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Not wanting to sound like and ass and all that, but surely trained cops should remain calm and in control in all situations

not
    we followed and a high speed chase started (heart pumping stuff) hit crazy speeds but hell we were going to take him down ( bad boys tune starts to play )

Sounds like what would happen to me if I was in your drivers shoes, and I would not want to recommend myself as a high speed persuit driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Have you got any pics

id love to see some

I don't think anyone could go at those speeds in those conditions and not be pumped up training goes as far as to know how to drive better and all but the risk of death is still there.

As for the pics i'm hoping to have some when i do i'll post them

as for the bad boys i was being dramatic lol believe me we don't go around with that on a tape we can play on the speaker when thing call for a blue light :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Dont tell me you have never pumped out music on the PA system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Mayshine wrote:
    Not wanting to sound like and ass and all that, but surely trained cops should remain calm and in control in all situations

Yes, as all our police officers are emotionless androids....

Cops are people too, people react to stimuli, i'd call a high speed chase pretty stimulating, wouldnt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Your famous!!! :p

http://www.unison.ie/wicklow_people/stories.php3?ca=34&si=1289629&issue_id=11707
    Two Gardaí had a miracle escape from a serious injury or even death in the early hours of Wednesday morning, when their squad car smashed into an out-of-control vehicle they were pursuing.

The crash happened near The Tap pub on the N11 around 5.40 a.m., as the Gardaí - one from Wicklow, and one from Gorey - were chasing a car that had failed to stop at a checkpoint near Inch, just over the Wexford border.

As the suspect attempted to round the Ballinameesda bends, he lost control of his vehicle and spun across the road. The Garda car ploughed into it and ended up turning over onto its roof.

Both officers were taken to Loughlinstown Hospital for treatment but, after a check-up, they were released later that morning.

While sources describe them as being 'shook up', it is understood that their injuries could have been a lot worse.

Both were fortunate that the roof of the vehicle didn't collapse, crushing the pair, as the front and back ends of the car suffered major damage in the smash.

There was no sign of the person they were pursuing at the scene and it is believed he fled on foot through nearby fields.

According to a Garda spokesperson, 'they were both very lucky to escape. Considering the damage to their car, their injuries are very slight.'

Meanwhile, another two vehicle crash on the same stretch of road yesterday afternoon caused huge tailbacks.

Both vehicles collided further up the Ballinameesda bends shortly after lunchtime, and a woman had to be hospitalised. It is not thought her injuries are serious.

The road in Ballinameesda was closed for some time with traffic diversions in place, causing massive disruption to mid-afternoon traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Dark knight , I can't believe that Gardai are allowed to give chase at such high speeds for such a small thing like a robbery. I believe what you did was irresponsible , you put more people in danger chasing the offenders .

I am only glad that no-one was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Both were fortunate that the roof of the vehicle didn't collapse, crushing the pair, as the front and back ends of the car suffered major damage in the smash.
    If the roof came in you'd be dead because of your belt holding you in place.... Like it or not when you are in a crash you are in a lottery where in one situation the belt can save your life and the other it may kill you. By the way, something similar happened to the cousin a year or 2 back (back road, bad car, ditch, too fast for the conditions, rolled couple of times... ) who didn't wear any seatbelt and as it happened the roof did come in... not wearing it saved his life and left him with only minor injuries. I'm not arguing against the use of them merely pointing out that they aren't as good as you appear to think they are...

Dont believe too much of your own propaganda, seatbelts aren't the answer - not crashing is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Boggle wrote:
    Dont believe too much of your own propaganda, seatbelts aren't the answer - not crashing is!

Couldn't agree more, but be careful - they're going to jump on you with that one (they did for me http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202620&page=1&pp=20) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As echomadman says, I'd be more worried if he wasn't pumped up during the chase and in the same euphoric mood after cheating death. I know a few Gardai, and I could see them down the pub, telling the story with the same enthusiasm if this happened to them.

Fionn101 - Curious, if they didn't give chase for robberies, what would you have them do? Take the number plate, then hmm and haw when they find the stolen vehicle dumped a few miles down the road? Checkpoints don't work, they'll drive around them. Notifying other Gardai ahead won't work - if they aren't giving chase, there's no way of getting other Gardai to man all possible routes the car might take, in time. Roadblocks don't work - people will die.
    I'm not getting at you, just curious as to what you think the right course of action would have been?

seamus wrote:
    As echomadman says, I'd be more worried if he wasn't pumped up

As I would, since you can't exactly 'turn off' your adrenalin glands, can you? And if you weren't running on the stuff, you wouldn't benefit from that incy-tiny bit of extra-perception/alertness which you need badly during a chase...

Couldn't agree more, but be careful - they're going to jump on you with that one (they did for me http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...20&page=1&pp=20)
    Sound mate! ;)

Yeah we had a thread on this where people were jumping on me for thinking that drivers shouldn't necessarily HAVE to belt up in built up areas ... Personally I reckon removing seatbelts would be as good a way as any to slow drivers down! Currently we tell (young) motorists to buckle up and be safe which leads to an inflated sense of safety = higher speed. If you removed that safety belt, then you would really think about what will happen if you hit something!!

('spose I'll get jumped on now for not conforming with the masses?!!?)

Seamus ,(i know you not getting at me)
    Checkpoints do work , as does co-ordination with other units, thats why we have them .

If I recall correctly , one raider sped off in the car, they should have gone for his accomplice (who is on foot) and nabbed him ,

I really don't care if the local post office gets knocked over (they are insured) but I would care if a garda car came blazing around a corner and went out of control and killed someone.

Having said all of this it's just my opinion, I would like to hear from a more expert source governing when gardai should and should not give chase. But dark_night_ire should be removed for his stupidity , i know if he crashed on my road at 90mph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Fionn101 wrote:
    But dark_night_ire should be removed for his stupidity , i know if he crashed on my road at 90mph I wouldn't be going over to give him assistance , rather the opposite. 0.02

So you're saying, that you'd not help someone after a crash.

what goes around, comes around as they say. karma, etc.

/side note: one of my relations was killed on duty in car crash a few years back, cars crash, fact of life, but say that it's the cops faults for chasing the bad guys, or going to the assistance of colleagues, get real. We expect cops to be there when we need them, yet some people, complain !! I'll agree, as most cops would if you asked them, more training on advanced driving, better spec's car's (not just engines, but brakes, suspension and steering) and more advice to other road users, when car with blue lights flashing and siren comes behind you on the road, please make it easy for them to pass by pulling over, not sticking to the middle of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Fionn101 wrote:
    Seamus ,(i know you not getting at me)
    Checkpoints do work , as does co-ordination with other units, thats why we have them .

ps, co-ordination is great but considering the lack of money that we, through our government, are willing to spend on things like Radio Comm.'s, Helicopter/air craft/boats, the guys at the front have to make do and make decisions based on that.

ps to ps, How do you expect the other units to set up road blocks, are they to travel at the speed limit -10% as you seem to suggest.

And how do you suggest they stop the car at that check point, as you know raiders, armed or not, don't just see cop car and get out and give up, as per dark knights tale, even after high impact crash, they still ran!
    You know, those stinger pads and sticks can be dangerous, can't use them, and sure they can't place a truck cross the road, cause that might delay you on your self righteous journey.

Fionn101 wrote:
    But dark_night_ire should be removed for his stupidity , i know if he crashed on my road at 90mph I wouldn't be going over to give him assistance , rather the opposite. 0.02

You know, they put people in jail for not assisting people in distress, in France - good job you're in Ireland, then, eh? And that kind of attitude explains a lot, e.g. why I'm more often than not the only person to let other cars through intersections or out of drives in a queue of 50-odd...

Too right - what goes around comes around. Hope ya don't crash in the middle of nowhere and that another person driving by mistakes your gestures for help as threats :mad:

bogger , self righteous nothing , stop being so silly ,

I said that I'd like to hear a more expert opinion on when irish gardai are/are not meant to give chase, I don;t think this was one of those times. I really don't.

as for how to stop future raiders , i don;t fooking know , i'm not an expert on police tactics, and as for their different methods I won't comment , I (like everyone) pay my due taxes and leave the rest to the experts.

Ok , of course I would help someone (even the raider) if they were in an accident , so i retract that bit.
    Karma , well I just don;t believe inthat , but thats another thread .
    And very sorry to hear of your relative, truly, and I'm usually 99% supportive of our force, just not in this particualr instance.

Ambro , please , stop being so very silly , you don;t know me , how do you know I don;t let people out in queues (and wtf does it have to do with anything??) , i have no attitude and consider myself an ordinary decent person, just like you do.

As for frances laws that one is also for another thread , but humans do have a survival instinct that will prevent them from endangering themselves, something which you cannot be *successfully* prosecuted for , also is that law not governed under their old napoleonic laws ??? ach , another time perhaps

Thanks
    Fionn

i owe my ass to that belt yeah granted its what is after screwing me up but better sore than 6 feet under
    Out of interest, what kind of protection are ye actually afforded in the gard car? Is it reinforced (side-impact bars etc...), do ye have proper headrests to protect against wiplash, do ye have 4 point seatbelts (raly belts)...

If ye dont have proper spec'd vehicles then why do you put your life at risk like this? Surely if the govt can goive 100Million to horseracing then they could give ye all properly spec'd vehicles and equipment?!?!

• Advertisement

Fionn101 wrote:
    bogger , self righteous nothing , stop being so silly ,
    I said that I'd like to hear a more expert opinion on when irish gardai are/are not meant to give chase, I don;t think this was one of those times. I really don't.

It's a judgement call, which I believe Gardai officers are empowered to make - you a Gardai officer, Fionn101? you ever been in the situation? So htf can you comment?
    Fionn101 wrote:
    as for how to stop future raiders , i don;t fooking know , i'm not an expert on police tactics

You don't say - so why the aggro against dark_knight_ire?
    Fionn101 wrote:
    Ok , of course I would help someone (even the raider) if they were in an accident , so i retract that bit.

You gonna have to start standing by your opinions, lad.
    Fionn101 wrote:
    And very sorry to hear of your relative, truly, and I'm usually 99% supportive of our force, just not in this particualr instance.

You gonna have to start standing by your opinions, lad - you hear? :D
    Fionn101 wrote:
    Ambro , please , stop being so very silly , you don;t know me , how do you know I don;t let people out in queues (and wtf does it have to do with anything??) , i have no attitude and consider myself an ordinary decent person, just like you do.

Well, I think we have a definitional problem, here. So, an ordinary decent person sounds like: "But dark_night_ire should be removed for his stupidity , i know if he crashed on my road at 90mph I wouldn't be going over to give him assistance , rather the opposite. 0.02".

It's too easy to provoke reactions with moronic comments like that, then disallow the flaming it so rightfully deserves with 'retracting' and then asking people to 'not be so very silly' about it - grow up.
    Fionn101 wrote:
    As for frances laws that one is also for another thread , but humans do have a survival instinct that will prevent them from endangering themselves, something which you cannot be *successfully* prosecuted for

It's an example of a law devised exactly because of people with the kind of attitude displayed above (that was YOU, until you retracted) - it's too easy to abandon a duty of care when the person in danger is not the young & sexy damsel in distress...

ambro i'm not going to let this descend into an argument, I know that I would help anyone in distress , so what I wrote was not a true reflection , more an angry statement, which I have edited , so chill till the next episode.

Also you wrote "It's a judgement call, which I believe Gardai officers are empowered to make - you a Gardai officer, Fionn101? you ever been in the situation? So htf can you comment?"

yes I know Gardai are allowed to make the call , but they do realise that sometimes they have to call off the chase also (it happens a lot with joyriders)
    no i haven't been in the situation(c'mon) , so what , I just think that particular chase got too dangerous . but if you don;t agree , fine , your perfectly entitled not to.

Advertisement