Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bjork - any fans?

• 20-11-2004 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Anyone into bjork? The latest album, medulla, is amazing and really shows her creative genius as a composer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I'm not a real fan of female singers, apart from our own singer in our band who is outstanding!!......but - Bjork is the one real exception I really like her voice,,some stuff is a bit odd,,,but theres lots of stuff by her thats super,,,haven't heard this new album but must buy it and Homogenic sometime

ciao' amigo....Baggio..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Definately my fave female artist.

Her new album took a few listens for it to grow on me, but I really like it now. The single mix of "Who Is It" is better than the album version, IMHO, even though it's not acappela like the album is.

Homogenic's probably my favourite Bjork album. Vespertine is good too of course. Although "All Is Full of Love" (the video version) is by far and away her best song I think. I never really liked the orginal version on Homogenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Yeah it is a grower. My favourite songs would be Vokuro, oceania and mouth's cradle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Some Bjork is really good, some Bjork is far from good. She's hit or miss with me but I do think she is one of the few decent artists able to keep the pace in the mainstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Bjoerk is great the best female artist out there at the moment hands down.
    Anyone into her unusual stuff should check out an album of icelandic jazz called Gling Glö

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Just had a listen to that. Sounds amazing. Gudmundar Ingolfsson is great on piano. Surprised i've never come across it before. Is it easy to get in Ireland?

Just had a listen to that. Sounds amazing. Gudmundar Ingolfsson is great on piano. Surprised i've never come across it before. Is it easy to get in Ireland?

I got as copy of it in HMV, so the answer would be yes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

personally i find her to be too pretentious.
    Weird for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Bjork is incredible - quite underrated i think(in mainstream music) but still brilliant

Beautiful voice and her phrasing is very unique to say the least

im_not_ok wrote:

No way!! nothing pretentious about her.
    she is weird but that's what makes her stand out from all the other boring music in the world today

• Advertisement

im_not_ok wrote:

I would not agree at all, she is normal, snorting coke off midgets heads is weird. She got a bad rep for clocking some scumbag reporter once, give her a chance and listen to the music, she is a genius.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I would not agree at all, she is normal, snorting coke off midgets heads is weird. She got a bad rep for clocking some scumbag reporter once, give her a chance and listen to the music, she is a genius.

BINGO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Yeah, Bjork is amazing - haven't heard much of recent stuff though.
    I think my favourite piece of hers is from her album "Debut", titled "Like someone in love", a really mellow and gentle piece.
    She has an incredible skill at sewing many textures together without making it messy or murky, or losing any of the identities of the individual layers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think she's a bit hit and miss myself, though she's absolutely great when she does hit.

zynaps wrote:
    Yeah, Bjork is amazing - haven't heard much of recent stuff though.
    I think my favourite piece of hers is from her album "Debut", titled "Like someone in love", a really mellow and gentle piece.
    She has an incredible skill at sewing many textures together without making it messy or murky, or losing any of the identities of the individual layers :)

I love the song "Venus As A Boy" off the same album - such an incredible song!

There was a documentary on about her a good while back, it showed her music against the backdrop of the icelandic landscape, when you see the soundscapes she paints you will fall in love with the music, well I did anyway ;)

Her singing style apparently emanates from traditional icelandic singing, bare with me on this one I forget the exact story, an icelandic king banned either singing or storytelling and they merged into one form ( like I say the exact details are fuzzy) as a result they ended up with a monotonous chanting.
    I must find this story again, will look on google.

<edit> cant find the background to the Stemmur and Rimur song styles that are the style that bjoerk bases her style on.

Advertisement