Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm not a huge fan of U2 but for god sake the're a huge band.

Being a huge band does not mean they're good. Britney, Westlife, NSync, all big groups, not particularly good...

Queen however are incredible. One of the greatest groups of musicians ever. Up there with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

elvis2002 wrote:
    I have every album, every video, every single, every solo album of dire straits

You have my deepest sympathies.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

feylya wrote:
    Being a huge band does not mean they're good. Britney, Westlife, NSync, all big groups, not particularly good...

Queen however are incredible. One of the greatest groups of musicians ever. Up there with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles imo.

I meant huge as in significant. At the end of the day their music connects with a lot of people. You don't have to like it, but its stupid to dismiss it as not significant.

Sorry Ricardo, but U2 are a talentless bunch of ****wits. The edge should be strangled with his own guitar strings as far as I'm concerned.

What has talent got to do with it? Look at Ozzy, can't sing, can't even talk for that matter. But hes brilliant! ACDC been playing the same song for decades, but who cares! Just enjoy the music and stop being so judgemental. The edge has a very limited style, but very distinctive and makes up much of the sound of U2. You could say the same of Brian May. Hes no Satriani but hes definately got something. Some kind of magic maybe? (groan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You could just as easily say "Just enjoy the music and stop being so judgemental" about Westlife or any other talentless yobs that don't deserve a single bit of praise they get. And don't get me wrong, I don't mean that you have to be able to play like Satch to have talent, because quite frankly, you could train a monkey to do what he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

they were my fave band when I was a wee one.. and they still make my hips wiggle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Queen are THE band, actually it was freddie mercury's anniversary yesterday (wednesday)

I hear greatest hits III is sold in brown paper bags down dark alleys :) although there were one or two songs on it that I liked that I didn't have. One by One (only the good die young), and princes of the universe. I know it was made for the movie and the TV series highlander, but it is a great track nonetheless.

Another favorite of mine is "Love of my life." I think the piano playing in that one is superb.

You could just as easily say "Just enjoy the music and stop being so judgemental" about Westlife or any other talentless yobs that don't deserve a single bit of praise they get. And don't get me wrong, I don't mean that you have to be able to play like Satch to have talent, because quite frankly, you could train a monkey to do what he does.

Westlife...oh no I wouldn't...

Satch can't agree with you there, the man has tone AND chops. But can I hire the man who trains the monkey.... ;) Didn't Satch originally become known as quitar teacher, before "Surfing..." etc?

But back to Queen. What can you say. Amazing band. A unique talent. One I really wished I'd seen live. "I want to ride my bicycle..." brilliant. I'm going to have to dig out the greatest hits album again. Can you get the Live Aid performance on DVD or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Just have to echo most of the other peoples comments - Queen are fantastic!! They are just amazing, great for playing at loud volumes while driving in my car!!!!

Never tire of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Live Aid has just been released, 4 DVDs, 10 hours, €65. Doesn't say exactly what's on it though, which can be worrysome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Skelz

well none of ye seemed to have pointed out the fact that it was freddie mercury's 13th year anniversary of his death yeaterday the 24rd of november.

as brian may sang in 1999, only the good die young.

killer queen would have to be my fave track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

their music connects with a lot of people.

A lot of people also happen to be gormless cretins. I'm not saying there's a link there. That would be rude and unfounded. My word, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

a lot of people who listen to Nirvana may be gormless cretins too but that doesn't make them any good.

Obviously not listening to or not liking a particular band doesn't mean you're not a cretin :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

exactly.
    But liking some bands does.
    eg) Boyzone
    <!--//THIS IS "OMNICORP"(S) OPINION AND NO OTHER PERSON(S) NO OFFENSE INTENDED//-->

omnicorp wrote:
    exactly.
    But liking some bands does.
    eg) Boyzone
    <!--//THIS IS "OMNICORP"(S) OPINION AND NO OTHER PERSON(S) NO OFFENSE INTENDED//-->

Fair nuff... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

queen so cool. very tired, cant type welll.

Advertisement