Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card temperature

Options
  • 20-11-2004 2:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey,

was just wondering about this

my set up is this
    AMD 2200xp
    512mb
    MSI 6800 128mb graphics card (non ultra or GT, just a plain 6800)

i got the card a few months ago, all working hunky dory, temps were always about 60c even after playing games (with the fan at the lowest speed)

however recently, just cahnging the setting around a bit, i notice that the temperature is now

temperature.jpg

now both the ambient temperature is massive, and therefore the graphics card is overheating.

also this is just sitting on hte desktop, after playing HL2 yesterday i noticed it was over 100c

when i open up the case, turn the fan up to its max (pretty loud) let the case get cool again, and replace the case siding, the temperatures are normal again. if i do the same again, then put the fan speed to the lowest the temps skyrocket again

i havnt had any lock ups or graphical glitches, but i reckon running a GPU at over 100c isnt good

i installed the beta nvidia drivers 70.41, before i noticed these temperatures

Can drivers cause an increase in temperture??

also a few days ago i installed extra harddrive, again before i noticed any of these temperature anomalies

i dont have any case fans or anything

any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Could be a driver fault, maybe reporting temps wrong??? Try older drivers. if it is running at 90 thats dangerous for the gpu, u will definitly need to get that sorted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

k, i might try rolling back the drivers or somet

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

got it, the fan was turning off completly when the fan was (supposidly) down at 2000 rpm

which is weird cos it never done that before

i just notched the fan up a tiny bit, and it started up. well problem solved anyway

thanks for teh suggestions

/me thanks MSI for the copper heatsink that made my card not fry even though ther was no fan spinning

Advertisement