Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizing an Image to fit the Screen

Options
  • 20-11-2004 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm currently helping with the redesign of a website about an Irish band. What I'd like to use as a front page, and possibly as the background for some pages, is the attached image.

I asked a friend to set the resolution on this to 1024 x 768 but he just cropped it. When I set this image as the background in Dreamweaver it does not properly fit the screen. Instead the image is cut off on the right hand side and the bottom.

I would have thought that what I'm aiming for, to have this image fit the screen, is simple enough and that I'm just missing something amazingly simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

here it is at 1024x768

http://tcal.net/images/earthhorse1.jpg

However Earthhorse, that's not really going to work, because people at different resolutions - like 800x600/1152x864 etc. - it's going to look a bit funny for them. it will cause scrolling on screens smaller than 1024 wide if you use it as a pic on the intro or wherever.

You could use CSS to control how it tiles if its the background your using it for, but you'd be better off going with an image that fits inside the 800x600 viewing range so you don't cut out part of the image for those visitors. also worth considering is that @ 1024x768 that images file size is quite big and would cause pain to people on 56k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Create a table about 760 wide or less and then design the image to fit into the table. The next problem is what happens when the page becomes too long for the image and it tiles.

Use css as illustrated above or use an iframe in your table and set the picture as the background of the loaded page and set it so it doesn't repeat when the page scrolls.

See www.amazinginteriors.net

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cheers for the replies guys. When Dangerman posted his response I was thinking of doing something along the lines of what you suggested buddy. It'll be good to have a template to work off of though so thanks for the link.

I'll also try and bear in mind what you said about 56k users Dangerman. I'll be posting for feedback here when the redesign is done so you'll be able to see how things went.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

No probs. Post for more help if needed.

Advertisement