Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Break-In

• 20-11-2004 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from my dad there about something. As an aside he mentions that my brother got burgled last night.

First thing I ask is obviously 'What did they take?', I'm picturing his TV, Video, Stereo, all too big to steal.

All they stole was two passports and two driver's licences....

Anyone else had this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Passports worth about a grand each.

Drivers Licence is worth a lot less, but more than it used to be with the new EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Licenses are great for identity theft once you change the photo. Passports are gold for people smugglers. 99% likely that the burglars were non-nationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

ballooba, thats really crap to hear.

Identity theft is becoming a big, lucrative business.

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9403402

^^ an old article but you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

dangerman wrote:
    ballooba, thats really crap to hear.

Identity theft is becoming a big, lucrative business.

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9403402

^^ an old article but you get the idea.

Well it doesn't really affect him really does it? The guards didn't seem to give a toss.

My sister also had her Passport and Driver's licence knicked from my gaff.

It's a bit of a coincidence and I have my theories. I don't want to go pointing the finger though.

Anyway what's the point, i'm not going to get anything out of it, apart from potentially getting my legs broken.

It's funny because my mate from the U.S. was stopped at holyhead last week because he was using an Irish passport. Yet people of other nationalities breeze through with them because the UK officials take the attitude that they'd rather it be our problem than theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

yeah a work mate of wife got a call from FBI saying that her identity was hijacked and that they were ringing her to tell her.They hijacked her credit card details when she was over in states.She didnt believe it was FBI and asked for a number to ring them back,so she rang back and got through to FBI....the thiefs had ran up a huge bill with her identity.

• Advertisement

So who's liable for the bill?

Surely if she never entered a contract with the credit card company then they are liable?

yeah i think she was covered by insurance though credit card company anyway,especialyy more so the FBI was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ballooba wrote:
    So who's liable for the bill?

Surely if she never entered a contract with the credit card company then they are liable?

It's your word against theres taht it wasnt you that ran up the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stekelly wrote:
    It's your word against theres taht it wasnt you that ran up the bill.
    Not really... Sounds like mad m's workmate is not from the US and so was not there to run up a bill on a credit card!! Unless it was all done over the net that is but then why have the stuff delivered to the states when she is not from there..

If it happened in the same country she is from then it would be different.

Yes, but if there is no way that it was you that signed up for the credit card in the first place then what can they do???

It ws his passport that was stolen not his credit card.

• Advertisement

i know im sorry i went off thread topic for abit i was just refering to identity kidnapping etc....my wifes work mate was in states for holiday and i think she paided for something over there and someone cloned her card or something....sorry its not enough information...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

AFAIK the shop that accepted the credit card is responsible for the money. They are responsible for checking the ID of the person using the card. Their merchandise is gone, and never get paid for it. Course, in the long run the customers end up footing the bill in higher prices to cover this.

My CC number has been stolen at least twice. The credit card company calls me up at work and asks me did I just use my card at a petrol station in Florida / shopping mall in Virginia, or something else hundreds of miles away. I have never had to pay, though it is interesting to get the bill with some bizarre stuff on it.

Before you go on holiday, you can call your bank and credit card companies and tell them where you will be, and when you are coming back. Then it gets flagged if your card is used in the foreign country a week after you return.

Getting passports stolen is a pain, though. At least you weren't in a foreign country when they got robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i've had my passport stolen twice in the same pub.. it turned out to be a bouncer he would pick out irish people with unusual names, but he did a runner. theres alot of theft in dublin at the mo,esp theft to order. best thing is notify the passport office they can track it to a certain extent. you know when you put your details that appear on your passport...ie corect name address date of birth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit careless letting your passport be stolen twice in the same pub!
    Any idea why he was picking people with unusual names? I would have thought it would be easier to sell one with a common name so it would be harder to trace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

thats insane i lost my drivers license a few weeks ago on a night out in limerick , i was freakin but luckily a guy working in the club i was in found it and posted it to me , id be really freakin if i read this after loosing it .

Advertisement