Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

typewriting & technology exams!?

• 20-11-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

yo,
    I was just browsing thru the examinations.ie site and found a list of all the JC exams at http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sc ...
    There's a typewriting and technology exam... We dont do computers in school anymore (did in 1st + 2nd year tho), but if I took those exams I'd almost be guaranteed an A tbh (in typewritin anyhow, wouldnt have a clue whats on the technology course)... So what'd I have to do to take the exam? I'm already doing 10 exams, am I allowed with 12? I suppose I'll have to talk to my year-head, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

When they say typewriting, do they mean with a typewriter? 'Cause if so I wouldn't have much of a clue.

And.. are you sure you'd want to do extra exams...? I mean, without having even done the class at all it'd be sort of like... well, taking an exam without knowing anything abuot the paper/course/what's expected. Seems a bit crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I dont have a clue but I wouldn't study for 'em at all...
    I can already type pretty well, but dont have a clue bout the typewriter...
    and, technology? Dont have a clue what'd be on it but, liek, I know quite alot bout PCs/hardware/software/linux etc... how hard could it be?
    would suck if they threw me in front of a M$ winblows machine, thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

... okay.
    Just 'cause you can type it doesn't necessarily mean you can do well in an exam... And I for some reason doubt it's simply a typing exam. They'd probably have questions on like... typing and history and that kinda stuff, dvorak keyboards and stuff...

And if you were using a computer (which I think is unlikely) it would most undoubtedly be a windows os, probably in safe mode or something equally horrifying.
    And also, technology isn't just computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Technology is like metalwprk and stuff

Unless they're leaving certificate exams as well, you are severly wasting your time.

ko...
    well I'll just leave it then.
    I was just thinking of 2 handy A's.. maybe not...

• Advertisement

Don't think about it like that. Think about it as more time spent studying. You're taking away from the time you have for other subjects. You do a ridiculous amount of JC subjects, what is it 10, or 11?

You're only going to do 7 for the LC, maybe 8. So you'll be dropping things next year

I think I had a point....but I lost it. Crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd check out the exam papers before I'd go along with a plan like this. Maybe the Typewriting exam has a "Shorthand" section. Do you really want to learn shorthand?

In theory you can do as many exams as you want, provided the timetable doesn't clash. I think you aren't allow do Classical Studies with Latin or Greek. In practice doing more than 10 means you are just going to burn yourself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Raphael wrote:
    Don't think about it like that. Think about it as more time spent studying. You're taking away from the time you have for other subjects. You do a ridiculous amount of JC subjects, what is it 10, or 11?

You're only going to do 7 for the LC, maybe 8. So you'll be dropping things next year

I think I had a point....but I lost it. Crap

it is only your best six that actually count in the lleaving cert. maximum number of points is 600.

ko..
    well, I was just thinkin that if I did the 12 exams, it would be easier to get more As.
    and the exams would (probably) be dossy liek...
    Iĺl see if i can find some sample papers, and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

declan_lgs wrote:
    ko..
    well, I was just thinkin that if I did the 12 exams, it would be easier to get more As.
    Thats fair enough doing 2-3 extra subjects over the 6 "needed", however at 12 subject you are spreading yourself too thin. And in anycase you may find conflicts in the timetable where two exams for different subjects are on at the same time.

• Advertisement

I know, I am in 5th year. But I have no intention of taking points from Irish or French

Victor wrote:
    Thats fair enough doing 2-3 extra subjects over the 6 "needed", however at 12 subject you are spreading yourself too thin. And in anycase you may find conflicts in the timetable where two exams for different subjects are on at the same time.
    do the easiest one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

We do typing in 4th year and you have to be able to type from a handwritten manuscript with loads of mistakes on it. It really sucks

Advertisement