Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver "Error 678" all the time

• 20-11-2004 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

My Clicksilver connection (in Arklow) just stopped dead on Wednesday night and nothing could be done to get it work again. Every web page or ping just times out. I did everything to try and get it working again.

I rang UTV on Thursday and went through everything - reinstalling modem etc - but no joy. Both lights were on on the USB modem. (No joy with a router either)

UTV said they'd get on to Eircom about it but they give them 5 working days.

Do I just have to wait and see what happens now or should I contact Eircom too? Is it worth even trying?

(Dial up is crap :( )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You are one lazy f*cking mofo!

I did a search first site on altavista.com, and this came up;
    678 - There is no answer.
    679 - Cannot detect carrier.

All versions of Windows - This error can occur if:
    You are dialing the wrong number
    There is a problem at your ISP or in the telephone network
    Your modem is unable to handshake with remote modem before allotted time

Use modem's speaker to listen to connection attempt: Make sure it dials, and make sure you hear remote modem answer tones.

Dial number with regular phone and make sure you hear remote modem answer tones.
    Make sure correct phone # is dialed with DUNS - examine Modemlog. (If # dialed is not displayed, adding E1 to extra settings may help. Note also, you may have your telephony/connection settings such that long-distance digit is unintentionally being added to your phone number.)

If you hear your modem handshake, and 678 error appears at same time handshake sound ends, you may need to disable 56k or increase the 'Cancel Call if not connected' time in ControlPanel-> Modems-> Properties-> Connection

Back to all DUNS errors
    If this doesn't help, continue checking through the list in the altavista.com link.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Clicksilver is DSL and not dialup so the above link/quote is prob no use.
    As you have 2 lights on the USB modem (presume one is the DSL light) your DSL connection to the exchange is OK. I had a similar problem before, link was good but could not get an active PPPoE connection. My router log showed that it was communicating to the Eircom BAS and that the problem was an authentication problem. UTV told me to that they would need to pass the line to Eircom to test....told them to F**K Off - told them that the comms was good as far as the Eircom BAS - they then setup a new User ID and that resolved the problem.
    Looks like you tried the connection with a router - can you get any logs from that, might help to prove that the comms is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

the_syco wrote:
    You are one lazy f*cking mofo!

I did a search....

I did all that on Wednesday night but thanks for the lecture....

Rash, UTV tried changing my username & password and that didn't work either. What should I be looking for in the logs exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    I did all that on Wednesday night but thanks for the lecture....

Rash, UTV tried changing my username & password and that didn't work either. What should I be looking for in the logs exactly?
    Sorry. My bad. I got the DSL and the dial-up mixed up, due to
    Nyum Nyum wrote:
    (Dial up is crap :( )

I'll look later.

Advertisement