Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here work for Eircom and does nixers?

• 20-11-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey Guys,

Anyone here work for Eircom and does nixers???.

I wanna get Sky Multiroom and need a phone line put upstairs, and I dont want cables running all around the house etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think any Eircom engineer is gonna openly say where he works unless you get a PM. (You should've mentioned what county you're in)

Anyway, maybe your local electrician could do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

me da is a eircom engineer. he said you can put the wiers under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

A Sky Engineer will do all of this for you anyway. But if the run is tricky or long or even beyond his normal scope, expect to be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A Sky Engineer will do all of this for you anyway. But if the run is tricky or long or even beyond his normal scope, expect to be charged.
    No! Some sky installers wont do it! Excellent excuse not to do a job if it is too awkward.

Since Sky introduced the Free box and Dish promotion several years ago there was a fixed price for installation/sale of the subscription. Then they introduced the connection to the telephone about 2 years ago, but since then they did not give any increase to cover our costs. So effectively every time an installer runs a phone line, it is out of his own pocket. Akward or not, why should we bother, we just end up "oweing ourselves money".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Since Sky introduced the Free box and Dish promotion several years ago there was a fixed price for installation/sale of the subscription. Then they introduced the connection to the telephone about 2 years ago, but since then they did not give any increase to cover our costs. So effectively every time an installer runs a phone line, it is out of his own pocket. Akward or not, why should we bother, we just end up "oweing ourselves money".
    so they should do it, if the customer pays extra?

In reality all the installer is supposed to do is plug the box into an eircom socket. If he/she offers to run you an extension if the socket is too far away, which as far as im concerned is his/her own business as they are only doing it as a nixer when they are there, they do have the right ro refuse as they are only there to install a satellite system and not "plug" the house for phones. Sky engineers, not Telecom eireann engineers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

In reality all the installer is supposed to do is plug the box into an eircom socket.

Not according to sky Paddy, they expect all engineers to run phone cable , extra payment or not.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony, if you look into the back section of the new sky contracts under "Installation terms and conditions" and then under "additional works" it states that an installation is not a standard one where your telephone socket is in a different room from your box. Sky have changed there rules since the new September 2004 contracts were published.

Tony, if you look into the back section of the new sky contracts under "Installation terms and conditions" and then under "additional works" it states that an installation is not a standard one where your telephone socket is in a different room from your box. Sky have changed there rules since the new September 2004 contracts were published.

My comment still stands, ring sky customer service and they will tell you the installer will do everything as obvioulsy they do not carry the cost. They will still expect you to run a phoneline in the same room for the same price and this is where it can be problematic when dealing with customers IE being told one thing by sky and another by the installer, would be much better if they were open and honest with the customer from the start.

Lets be clear there is nothing standard about having a phone socket next to your tv

Its the same with multi room, they expect us to do it for half nothing and then claim 12.50 back from them for the dish, I dont know any supplier who will sell me a dish for 12.50.

Its the same old story from sky this is why I am not actively pushing their products

• Advertisement

True, but why put one thing into into a hardcopy contract, and then have a sky representitive say another thing. If everyone whom is involved with the sales and installations of sky products goes by what is printed in black and white what can they do. But then again, that will never happen.

True, but why put one thing into into a hardcopy contract, and then have a sky representitive say another thing. If everyone whom is involved with the sales and installations of sky products goes by what is printed in black and white what can they do. But then again, that will never happen.

Sky dont even keep to their own payment deadlines Paddy, they selectively use contactual issues only when it suits them. Hardly a partnership approach I'm sure you will agree.

Sorry for taking this off topic guys

Absolutely not the business to be getting involved in for anyone anymore. They are just too tight money wise, and strict, but you have to admire them in another way, they are not so powerful for nothing. There is some good heads running it. But getting back to the point, as far as we are concerned there will be no "free phone extensions" installed unless the subscriber wants to do it for them self. We will not even listen to sky's complaints about it, and no more is said. It is my belief that the current representitives in the Sky Centre are not up to speal with the new t & c's. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay, I don't want us to be getting involved in dodgy dealings here.

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement