Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink Problem

Options
  • 20-11-2004 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of my first build, and I've ran into a few problems. Here's what I'm using:

Antec Sonata ATX Case (PSU included)
    Gigabyte GA8i915P LGA775 Motherboard
    Intel P4 3.0 GHz LGA775 CPU
    1GB Geil Value RAM
    128MB Leadtek nVidia 6600GT (PCI-E)
    Samsung Spinpoint 160GB SATA Drive
    NEC DVD-RW
    Samsung DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Home OEM (Including SP2)

When I opened the Processor box (retail version), I took out the processor and heatsink. The processor looked fine, but the heat sink seemed to be missing some thermal compound/pad - a small corner of the silver bottom seemed to have been scratched away. I thought maybe this was normal, so I continued.
    So I try powering on, and all seems to go ok, until I start to install windows. There was something about not detecting a hard drive (may have something to do with SATA drivers?), so I restarted and had a look around the BIOS before I tried to install again - and noticed that my CPU temp was at 67/68 degrees! Surely that can't be good??? I set a temperature alarm for the CPU for when it gets over 70 degrees, and immediately when I exited the bios the alarm sounded. I switched off immediately and havent turend it on since.

Pictures:
    heatsink.jpg
    I had taken one before I installed it, since it didn't look quite right
    And here's what it's like now, after I just took it out:
    heatsinknow.jpg
    And the processor:
    processor.jpg

So I'm basically asking what I should do about my insanely high temps and messed up thermal compound situation. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

..clean it off and get some AS5 on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

ViperVenoM wrote:
    ..clean it off and get some AS5 on it!

Ok, I remounted the heat sink, and now it's at 47 degrees... sounds good?
    I'm gonna get some AS5 as soon as I can find somewhere in Galway that sells it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Bah wrote:
    Ok, I remounted the heat sink, and now it's at 47 degrees... sounds good?
    I'm gonna get some AS5 as soon as I can find somewhere in Galway that sells it!

That's fine as long as you don't start overclocking, from those images it looks like there wasn't enough thermal compound to cover the core which would cause it to overheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Your Prescott is safe to run 24/7 up to 65c load. Your temps are fine atm but that's just idle temp I imagine.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    Your Prescott is safe to run 24/7 up to 65c load. Your temps are fine atm but that's just idle temp I imagine.

BloodBath

Yeah, that's just idle temp - I haven't even put the system under strain yet... it's staying around the 40 degree mark, usually slight over. Still having major problems with my SATA drive though... not being detected in Windows XP home, sometimes it's detected in the BIOS, sometimes it's not. Becoming very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Did you install the sata drivers? You should have got a floppy with your mobo with them on it.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    Did you install the sata drivers? You should have got a floppy with your mobo with them on it.

I couldn't install the drivers during setup... so I got them from the Gigabyte resource CD and made a floppy with them on it... but Windows still wouldn't accept them. In the end I was forced to just take off the SATA drive and install Windows onto my (sewriously crappy) 10GB, 6 year old, IDE hard drive. But now I actually want to be able to use my 160GB SATA drive, and can't since Windows isn't detecting the drive, and sometimes it's not even detected in the BIOS.
    I know the VIA IDE RAID controller is detected, but Windows keeps finding another RAID controller everytime I start up, but can't find any suitable drivers - I've just downloaded the Intel ICH6R drivers from the Gigabyte website, hoping that they'll do the trick, although I'm still skeptical.
    The motherboard manual doesnt mention anything about having different controllers for the different SATA ports... Any ideas on how to install the SATA drivers after installing windows, or just how to get my SATA drive working??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

does the 915 mobo that your using have 2 sata raid set-ups i have probs to begin with on the 925 chipset ...if you go into the bios and and go to the first page and go to IDE CONFIGERATION and change the settings to ide instaed of raid ...i noticed that when i was setting up the raid on my system which are both sata ...i had lots of trouble ....in the end it was just trying each different opion in the bios the got it in the end ....the bios on the new 775 boards are confusing due to all the new tech that comes with them ....you wont have to install floppy divers for the normal 1 sata setup on if your using a raid setup ...the bios will pick it up and install windows onto it ...
    if there is 2 sata raids on your board disable the one your not using and set the other as either sata or ide ....you probably know this already ;) best of luck with it anyhows and about the cpu temps what you have now is the normal for idle and as bloodbath said it will go up as far as and maybe past 65c on a full load with a small overclock ...the reason the first temp could have been so high is maybe the new system they use to twist and lock the heatsink to the mobo was not down all the way it can be a bit dodggy ....
    anyhow end of waffle "thank god he says"best of luck with the new rig ...i find the new chipset stable and fast hopefully you will aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

did you not get the option to press F6 to install the SATA drivers?

the stock heatsink is crap, get something else, that stock HSF wont even pass stress test at stock speed, and overheats on some games too! Mad Intel cooling! and I've got artic silver as well, was interesting finding out how crappy that stock HSF is!

Advertisement