Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable modem issue?

• 20-11-2004 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Friend had NTL BB 'installed' this afternoon. The installation amounted to him being handed a box and signing for it. Plugged modem in and waited for a bit during which time the ready LED just flashed. 'Installer' said that's what's supposed to happen.

After a bit more hunting around here it seems that all is not well. He gets a 192.168.100.x address and can get into the modem diagnostics but it still appears to be booting (long after power up).

Anybody had this happen to them and, in your experience, is that how an installation typically occurs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OK so it was over a year ago I got mine, but, no, an engineer came, cabled, fitted the modem, and set it up. He made sure it was working and left a copy of the drivers for usb in a folder he created on my PC. What your friend got was NOT an installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Thanks spannerhead.

I'm getting it installed on Monday and I'm hoping I don't get the same eejit. I'm in Citywest so I might just pop home when he arrives as we're getting the TV service installed too. I think yer man was just anxious to get in and out. I'll spend a bit more time on that NTL support site to read up on what should and shouldn't happen.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

hmm, sounds a bit suspect.

Am not an expert but I think the installer needs to plug in the modem and give the people back at base a shout so that it is enabled (lets them know what the MAC address is so that the modem is given the all clear to log into the NTL network**).

The 192.168.x.x is just a default IP range that is normally used on internal networks

Wookie

** Ok not sure what I am talking about at this point but I think this is the general idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

just had a quick read of this thread and this is what should happen. All credit to thund3rbird_ who went to ntl.com and had a gander around for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Wookie is correct. The process he links to in his post should have been followed exactly. The sound guy I had install my connection didn't leave until he made sure I could connect to the NTL network and successfully surf the web. The "installation" guy that your friend got sounds inept, unprofessional and should probably be reported. I know - it's NTL (and their contractors) but I haven't had a bad experience with their broadband service. [Yet! ;)]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Yeah the guy who installed mine, made sure it all worked (he had to ring NTL for some kind of set up code) and he hung around 'til I had asked all my questions. Have to say it was a good service.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Same as meself he had to test if mine was working,
    so he fired up my mozilla and went to the bookmarks to see if a page loaded
    he then saw my bookmarks and appoligised becuase there was some thing he saw here and musta thought it was a bit private..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Well it seems as if my pal got the 'economy' install :) Mrs Doyle has been duely briefed on what should happen in terms of the BB install and that she is under strict instructions to keep making cups of tea until she can access the official Lourdes web site.

Thanks again one and all.

Advertisement