Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KanYe West tonight

Options
  • 20-11-2004 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea who's supporting him tonight in the Point and after in Vicar Street?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

eh...Talib Kweli afaik...who's 6 bagagillion times better than, and metaphorically pisses all over, Kanye. Oh and Consequence'll be there too, but fuc k the point, worst venue on the planet, vicar street all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

wish i could get there but no one wanna come to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Great! Can't wait to see Talib. I'm Vicar Street'ing it all the way! Just asked about the Point incase there might be a few surprise faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is it true he only played 6/7 songs and was utterly ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Well at the Point he did only play for about 50 minutes but the time he was on stage, he was pure quality. Shame it ended kinda abruptly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

my sis went ans said it was good but far too short for the money paid. Soem irish dude supporting??/ who was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Rob kelly, G.Leech and world champ DJ Flip

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Went to point, he was savage but way too short!!
    How did vicar st go? How long did he play and who supported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Would love to see Talib Kweli on his own, and news of him touring here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

So was Kweli actually there?

• Advertisement

Vicar Street was ok. Didn't rock my world. 2 Irish MCs (above?) were a great warmup and their DJ was pretty nifty. Then 2FM's 'The Big Smoke' DJ & MC warmed up which was painful. Really bad crowd reading. Then about 25mins of alterations to the decks later...the man himself comes on.

His DJ may have been world champ but apart from one exhibition part (which wasn't THAT good) he played CDs as far as I could see...including a big medley to introduce Kanye that woulda been brilliant if performed live. KanYe himself was grand. Not exactly brilliant with the crowd. GLC (?) his supporting MC was pretty impressive. Played for roughly an hour I guess...felt the material lacked in places and he ended up doing a cover of Twista's last single. Guess it was late and I was surrounded by unsavoury characters (no really), mixed with my quiet hope that he'd do some acoustic sesssion like on Jools Holland (not a chance!), made for an average night.

Still I'm glad I went, my taxi driver said the Point was fulla kids so happy enough. Felt alot of the crowd knew his singles only.

So Kweli wasn't there?

eh, bri...A-Trak did not place CDs AT ALL during the gig. The time they gave him alone (which was so short cos the MTV teeny bopper scum wouldn't put up with it for any longer) was ****in unbelieavable. He ****in juggled Apache like I've never seen a DJ do before...****in spectacular. If you know anything about DJing you'd have been goin crazy, like me and my mate amidst a bunch of ignorant, silent pop ****s (one of them asked me, when he was jugglin and $hit: "Do you know this? Is this oldschool is it?"). And aswell, the DJ for the Irish emcees was not 'tasty', he was crap, he just baby scratched and his battle record skipped about 12 times. The 2fm guy was so annoying, I seriously wanted to hop up there and beat the living crap out of him...twat...he tried to juggle records and it skipped so many times, it would have been embarrassing if the crowd wasn't oblivious to it. The gig overall was a big let down. Talib didn't show, it was so f uckin packed you couldn't breath (seriously) and he only did like 6 or so songs. I had a laugh but definately not worth the money...

eh Klimseven,
    A-Trak may be good but he's not good enough to scratch with his arms are folded (please don't bring up scratching with elbows). He did not look remotely interested in the gig and definitely didn't perform the intro on the decks from where I was standing. He may have played the rest of the songs on vinyl but apart from the odd trick he kept it all for his own short slot...which was not that impressive. If you know anything about it, then it was clearly out of time on too many occasions for such a big name. He did some nice stuff but overall I've seen Cut Chemist impress alot more in the same kinda time frame. Glad you enjoyed it but the whole gig smelled of under-performance. Oh and that long gap after the build-up involved hooking up two Pioneer CDJs from where I was watching...
    Then again what the hell do I know about it.

And the Irish lads were pretty decent considering Ireland isn't exactly awash with talent. Their DJ was a hell of a lot better than Wes Darcy, sorry if that wasn't clear. If anything the two acts should have gone on in the opposite order.

P.S. When did the word tasty come into it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I went to the point, those irish fools where boo'd non stop from where I was standing it was funny for a while but when one of them did a girls girls girls remix (birds birds birds) the whole place really started getting pissed off. As for the crowd im 24 not exactly old but i was at least 8 years older than 99.9% of the kiddies at the point and it seemed like everyone of them where begging me to buy them drink feckin annoying.

Oh and 50 min is a bit of a stretch id say it was more like 40 min at the most but kanye was good cant understand why it was so short and he ended it fairly swiftly allot of the crowd where waiting around for him to come back on.

Kanye was good but the night was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thats true actually...my friends little sister who is 17 went to it. And apart from the singles Jesus Walks and that other one he had out, she does not know his album...

That's pretty much the reason I didn't want to go.
    Too many kids, and well the Point is a crap venue.
    Also, price was too high just for Kanye West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Dont understand how any of you can mutter the words Kanye West in a place thats supposed to be a hip hop forum.

does that mean you didnt enjoy the concert ?!?

I didnt go becuase I didnt have any interest. It just kinda depresses me that West is considered hip-hop by this forum. Sorry Hip-Pop

• Advertisement

just out of intrest who would you consider a real hip hop producer if not kanye

ChRoMe wrote:
    I didnt go becuase I didnt have any interest. It just kinda depresses me that West is considered hip-hop by this forum. Sorry Hip-Pop

It depresses you does it?
    Well why don't you contribute something to the forum then?
    Show all the hip-pop fans what real hip-hop is.

Chrome: Whether you approve or not Nelly qualifies for hip-hop status too. It's just the way things are.

KanYe may not be Guru in your eyes but I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about it! We're all guilty of it at one time or another but music snobbery is usually totally unproductive...this post could easily turn into a "who's the greatest rapper" waste again.

P.S. What about the Irish warmup act and A-Trak...They not qualify for discussion?

IMHO (heh not really that humble is it ;) The best and most respected Hip-Hop producer is Prince Paul (Stetasonic,Handsome Boy Modeling School, De La Soul etc)

I just get sad when the person who created Hip-Hop Kool Herc comes over to Dublin and like 30 people show up. And the people who dont even know who he is claim to be hardcore hip-hop fans. Yeah I do suffer from music snobbery but its just becuase I have seen so many "wiggers" ****e on about a subject they dont have a clue about. It these people who buy and hence encourage the production of something that doesnt even really resemble hip hop. Thus reducing the general standard of the genre to medicore at best.

*GULP* I'm going to get flammed and I prob deserve it but sorry its something I had to say

ChRoMe

Just because Kanye West isn't as important/influential/good as Prince Paul it doesn't mean he's not credible.
    Granted he's not amazing, but he's not half bad either, it just happens that MTV latched onto him and so all the little teeny boppers happen to like him.

I don't know where you're getting your comment about hardcore hip-hop fans from. I'm sure the majority of people on this board do know who Kool Herc is and those who don't would hardly claim to be "hardcore".

When did knowing who kool herc was make you a hardcore hip hop fan ?!? Makes you old school, expecting him to be popular nowadays is insane it just wont happen, the world moves on get over it.

Kanye while not an exceptional rapper is a breath of fresh air in a sea of nelly wannabe rappers, and his production is always nice.

Prince paul is far from the greatest he is a weak rapper imho, listen to prince among kings that album is just one long interlude.

I just get sad when the person who created Hip-Hop Kool Herc comes over to Dublin and like 30 people show up.
    Amen, that was a ****ing tragedy. Full of locked, ignorant losers takin the piss. That gig needed b-boys. But did you also notice that towards the end Herc started playing ppl who you (and me) wouldn't consider hip-hop -- f ucking Usher and Sean Paul. So even Kool Herc has submitted to the dumbing down and blingification (?) of the culture he created. And I'd consider him 'hardcore' (whatever that means), seeing as he invented an entire culture and all, wha?

It wasn't about Herc being "hardkore" it was about fans being "hardk0re1!!".

Advertisement