Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pads

Options
  • 20-11-2004 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

I guess this is as good a place to post this as any. Recently, out of curiosity and boredom, I went cycling through the demo disk that came with my sister's PS2. My first port of call was tekken 4 as it appeared to be a very challenging skill based game and I have played a lot of beat'em'ups such as SF2, MK and the Virtua Fighter series. Anyone familiar with these types of games will probably agree that they are the ultimate test of a controller. You're nothing in the beat'em'up world if you can't pull off a quarter circle forward + punch without thinking.

I downloaded the movelist for Paul Phoenix (the only other choice in the demo was christy) and proceeded to pick out a few moves to try and replicate against a low-skilled computer opponent. This was my first attempt at a PS2 beat'em up so I was surprised at the difficulty of pulling off a simple quarter circle on the D-pad. I found that, even after a couple of hours, it was hard to reproduce moves that required this basic roll without a moment preparation.

My original gamepad education was on a standard megadrive 6-button pad which had a rounded d-pad raised above the surface of the casing. I notice that the PS2 d-pad is partially submerged within the casing which is probably why I found using it so difficult.

My question to you all is why did they do this? Is it because it makes it somehow easier for newcomers to control or understand? I have seen people not used to the megadrive and snes controllers jumping up and down because they sometimes roll too far in the midst of a game. Or is it just me being inflexible when attempting to adapt to a new controller?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its easy after a while, Street fighter 2 invented them moves.

For a Qtr circle instead of pressing rub your finger from down to right making sure you get bottom right.

After a while doing that you be a master , now full 360 thats a bitch :0

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you should try quarter circle moves on the gamecube's d-pad :(
    the one failing of that joypad is its crappy little d-pad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Old School - http://www.gamestech.com/playstation2_info/controller/PSX2_Street_Fighter_Joypad_Limited_Edition/controller.htm

Game specific excellence - http://www.gamestech.com/playstation2_info/controller/vitrua_fighter_4_evolution_stick/controller.htm

Too expensive to use ;) - http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-70-5w3.html

I love those jap style arcade sticks and those sf2 pads are almost identical to the old megadrive 6-button pads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS controller is terrible for circular motion moves. On any controller I can perfectly time a barrage of unrelenting fireballs in SF2. Had a lot of trouble trying it on the PS1 SF2 collection.
    tekken 4 as it appeared to be a very challenging skill based game

Are you talking about tekken? I wouldn't associate the words challenging and skill with tekken 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jared almasy

ive harvested many burns on my fingers trying to manouvere around the ps2 pad, i end up just trying to press really fast than rubbing my bruised digits around the d-pad. as for the complaint about the gamecube pads, the d-pad is a bit annoying, luckily most of my games dont use ti to much. but what im looking to get is my saviour in that respect --> http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/hardware/hori-digital-controller/

the genius's behind this deserve my respect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i agree the ps pad is awful for beat em ups

hers the best erver made imo
    pad_white.jpg
    the d-pad just rolls so smooth on the satun controler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got myself a saturn during the summer. The japanese pads are so sweet. Perfect for shumups and fighting games. Even the complicated controls for radiant silvergun work great on the pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I got pretty good at using the ps2 d-pad to do moves in c vs snk i could pull off the dragon punch manuveur(sp) without having to think. But there were some complicated special moves that were very difficult to do on it and I actually just switch to the stick to do it. ( I'm talking about the double half circle movements like akumas super fireball for example)

Zangiefs uber throw was impossible on the PS pad. I could manage it easily on the terrible 3 button mega drive pads, which goes to show how bad the PS controller is for capcom fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I got pretty good at using the ps2 d-pad

its not a d-pad its 4 buttons and thats where the problem is

• Advertisement
Advertisement