Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem using SATA card with Dell Dimension 2300

Options
  • 20-11-2004 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a kingwing SATA card for a dell dimension 2300 that a mate gave me. I cant boot from a 200gig SATA drive. If i use the maxtor boot cd , it sees the card and drive and i can access it, also installin windows XP see's the drive. However in the bios it doesnt allow me to boot from it. The bios sees the HDD as bootable card in the harddrive preference window, However in the boot preference window it only allows me to boot from cd or floppy. is there a bios update i can get for this board, i am using the A02 bios which is the only one available to download on dell site. Or is it possible that this mobo just doesnt allow booting from sata cards, it just allows access to it. Anyone experienced this, i dont wana ring dell cuz they are useless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I don't think Dell would be any help even if you were lucky and got a competent technician, cos they won't support 3rd party hardware :mad:

But anyway - have you tried it wiht just the satahard drive in - without the ide drive that is? I had a fair bit of hassle using a PCI raid card recently - turned out my install wasn't done right ie putting in the card drivers before the OS install...

You've probably tried this, but if not might be worth a gander....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I havnt got an ide drive it is just the sata, i have to put the drivers in when installing windows, otherwise it wont be able to see the drive and install to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

what about partitioning it? some of them old PC's can't see a drive over a certain size? *clutching at straws here...* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yep tried that,still didnt work, im resorting to buying an ide drive and use the sata as my 2nd drive

Advertisement