Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic rubbish

• 20-11-2004 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

I think the tide is turning to the dark side.... they were very poor today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As far as I can see, it will probably continue - in Europe at least - until the board decide to spend some money. One of the best strikers playing football today, Henrik Larsson, left and was never replaced because the board couldn't or wouldn't get the money out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Celtic controlled the game for the first 15 minutes. Rangers did not have a look in. Poor defending when Joos went sliding in to concede a penalty. Even when they went 1 - 0 down, they were coming back good then poor defending again to allow Prso in and head in from about 10 yards.

It all boiled over when Thompson and Lovenkrands clashed. Thompson was sent off when he brushed his head agains t PL's head and PL done a Rivaldo. No way back when Sutton was booked for the 2nd time. Celtic done well enough with 9 men to hold Rangers and not allow them to score more. Camara was lucky to stay on the park but the worst incident was the stamp from Novo on Pearson. both of these incidents were ignored today.

They were poor today to concede 2 goals and not hold their discipline. The tide has not yet turned to Mordor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

2 defeats to rangers now in weeks, rangers are a poor side too which makes it worse.

larsson is badly missed, hasnt been replaced or even looked at replacing as the money isnt there although imo thats an excuse. celtic could easily afford a 10/15m striker, you hardly going to go into liquidation for spending a few million you 'dont have'.

celtic are well run, too well run for the football side of things to succeed. gambles must be taken, we dont need to spend 40/50m just enough to buy decent young players that want to play football. the future as ive said before is dull looking at celtic's creaking 1st team. its not as if we can say, oh well the side will improve, its still young and learning. these players are at the end of their careers and should be producing the goods against relatively poor opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As far as I can see, it will probably continue - in Europe at least - until the board decide to spend some money. One of the best strikers playing football today, Henrik Larsson, left and was never replaced because the board couldn't or wouldn't get the money out.
    Yep, money is certainly needed. Its ridiculous that O'Neill has said he will be looking at players to bring in in January even though he doubts there'll be any money available.

smemon wrote:
    celtic could easily afford a 10/15m striker
    HAHA, good one. Anyway, a defender or a holding midfielder should be the main priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A good quality defender should be sought out in January

A good quality defender should be sought out in January
    What I don't understand though is we are only being linked with wingers and full backs. We are in need of a left back but I think we could do without one for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

But they have arguably the best defender in Britain already.. ahem

But they have arguably the best defender in Britain already.. ahem
    as WWM said, one man don't make a team. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

They aren't as good as they were with Larsson but i wouldn't call them Rubbish. Martin has to get a good striker or their chances of gaining the title will jeopardy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Varga is next to useless IMO, Jackie Mc is past it too, Lennon doesnt have much left nor Sutton. Juninho doesnt have the legs anymore (he couldnt even get a run). Celtic need a new spine in the team. A good centre half, Andy O'Brien has the pace others lack. A central midfielder, Savage from Birmingham and a excellent centre forward, take your pick, are needed but I dont think MO'N has the cash. He should have left for Liverpool at the end of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

celtic need a big name player, i think the confidence in the side is down. they dotn look like they have a belief they can win against big teams in europe. I think if they sign a big name or at least a talented attack minded player the defence will improve. i know loosing larsson is a great loss bu have to think about mjalby too, very expierenced player....lennon looks like hes on his last legs, doesnt get up and down the pitch as much. I dont know who could be considered realistic targets that would offer value vs talent.....read today that spurs are in fro van bommel, hed be some talent to get doubt hed move to celtic if a spurs deal was on....

johnor wrote:
    I dont know who could be considered realistic targets that would offer value vs talent..
    Well if you're talking about attacking midfielders, MON has been keeping tabs on Wihelmsson who set up 3 of Sweden's goals against Scotland last week. Also, Edgar Barreto has been linked. He's only 20 and captained Paraguay to the final of the Olympics. Both would cost around the £2m mark. He's also supposedly interested in Aruna of Anderlecht to replace Larsson (since Camara is likely to be let go in the summer I assume MON will get the £5m he would have cost, if the £5m was there in the first place).

Other rumours are Motherwell are interested in doing a swap deal of Hammell for Douglas.

Oliver Bernard is out of contract at the end of the season and since he's a left back we could really do with him. I'd also like us to sign Biscan on the bosman too. If Graveson is interested we could take him on the free too. :)

Advertisement