Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going crazy!

• 21-11-2004 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect to AIM - which, for some unknown reason, has stopped working. I haven't changed any settings recently - nor have I changed anything at all really. I'm running Windows xp and connecting through eircom broadband - it simply refuses to connect and says that I probably need to configure my proxy connection.

Has anyone got any ideas what settings I'd use here?

- I tried to work around it by using AIM Express - alas, as usual, IE keeps failing and gives me error messages.

- So, I decided to install this much-hyped Firefox. Once again, the connection settings seem to be letting me down here - Firefox can't "find" any page.

Ahhhhhhh! Can somebody help!??!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Sounds like NAT is the problem. Find out what port it's trying to use, and you can set up a pinhole.
    In all honesty, I've never had any problems with NAT and IM apps, but this is the only thing I can think of that would cause this type of error. (your "proxy" settings)

Edit: Port 5190 afai can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Redownload the programme and exe it again !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Did that drapper...no avail. Downloaded Trillian too - having the same problems.

Bass - I'm not entirely sure what you mean, I did some searching on the term - but it seems to involve some coding?

You on DSL or Dial Up ? Maybe it need to have your proxy setting changed in the option folder...... have you changed provider recently ?

Nope, always had eircom broadband....not entirely sure. Might just ring eircom tech support in the morning. It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Sure sorry !!

No problem - the help is appreciated a lot :).

... The IE problems are the ones that are frustrating me most. Bloody thing. Switching to firefox asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

coding? No no no...

Ok.
    Go to your router's setup page. I think they're all 192.168.1.254 but I'm not sure.

Go Expert Mode -> Configure -> Advanced -> Pinholes.

Click Add.

Fill in the following:
    Name - Whatever you want
    Protocol - TCP
    External Port Start - 5190
    External Port End - 5190
    Internal I.P. - Your local IP address (Probably 192.168.0.1, go to "Run" type "cmd" and hit enter. When the dos prompt appears, type "ipconfig" hit enter, and it should display your IP address as 192.168.*.*) (No quotes on anything!)
    Internal Port - 5190

Edit: Nearly Forgot! You need to "Save & Restart" to apply the changes. Click the yellow ! in the triangle, and it'll bring you to the restar screen. Click Save & Restart, wait a minute and you should be back up.

There, I've just opened up the AIM port, and told every hacker here that PORT 5190 IS NOW OPEN! :P Messing...

Hm, I did as you said - your directions were perfect :) thanks a lot. I can't express how grateful I am :) thank you thank you thank you!

Advertisement