Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

editing Digital footage

• 21-11-2004 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just bought a Canon MV730i digital camcorder.

I'm running XP Home SP2 - After connecting the camera via USB, the PC recognises the device and a canon icon appears in my computer.

I can access the information stored on the cameras internal memory, but how do I covert the information on the mini tapes I've used to digital media - ie mpeg etc. Whats the best software available? preferably freeware!!

I ultimately want to create a DVD with menu for a wedding.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well windows XP has built in video editing software, I'm not sure how good it is, but it's free and it'll already be on the computer, so it's ready to go now.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Em, as far as I know the USB connection on this Camcorder is only able to transfer pictures and short video clips from the digital media card.

Unless your PC has a firewire port/PCI firewire card you won't be able to transfer the footage from the miniDV tape.

What you will need is probably a PCI firewire card (and cable to connect to camcorder). You can get these really cheap (a basic OHCP will do fine) or a little dearer. Quality of card won't always be much different, but the bundled software will be. Something like Pinnacle Studio 9 DV will do everything you want (capture/edit/encode and DVD authoring), but have a look at all the alternatives.

I use the firewire port on an Audigy 2 Sound card I got off Creatives refurbished shop (see my thread in Bargain Alerts). Alas it comes with no video editing software!

All the best,

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

davmigil wrote:
    Em, as far as I know the USB connection on this Camcorder is only able to transfer pictures and short video clips from the digital media card.

Unless your PC has a firewire port/PCI firewire card you won't be able to transfer the footage from the miniDV tape.

What you will need is probably a PCI firewire card (and cable to connect to camcorder). You can get these really cheap (a basic OHCP will do fine) or a little dearer. Quality of card won't always be much different, but the bundled software will be. Something like Pinnacle Studio 9 DV will do everything you want (capture/edit/encode and DVD authoring), but have a look at all the alternatives.

I use the firewire port on an Audigy 2 Sound card I got off Creatives refurbished shop (see my thread in Bargain Alerts). Alas it comes with no video editing software!

All the best,

Dave

I have a firewire connection on my tower and my Audigy 2 ZS Platnum pro...

If a USB lead is bundled with the camera will it be compatable with Firewire?

Also - How do I transfer the media from the tapes to digital media? do I have to play from camera and capture with software on the PC?

If the camera has firewire connections on it, then you play the tape in the camera and capture on the PC, What camera have you got? Make and model.... It'll make it a lot easier for people, myself included to help you.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

USB lead no use. Did those cheapskates at Canon not bundle a Firewire cable? If not buy one, making sure it has the right ends (small mini one to camcorder and probably larger regular to Audigy).

Fire-up Windows Movie Maker (you have it under Program Files>Accessories>Entertainment and have a look) for capturing.

Also check out camcorder guides on www.doom9.org (Guides link)

All the best,

Dave

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    If the camera has firewire connections on it, then you play the tape in the camera and capture on the PC, What camera have you got? Make and model.... It'll make it a lot easier for people, myself included to help you.

John

As qoated on my first post:
    I've just bought a Canon MV730i digital camcorder.

It is FIREWIRE - Just checked online...

davmigil wrote:
    USB lead no use. Did those cheapskates at Canon not bundle a Firewire cable? If not buy one, making sure it has the right ends (small mini one to camcorder and probably larger regular to Audigy).

Fire-up Windows Movie Maker (you have it under Program Files>Accessories>Entertainment and have a look) for capturing.

Also check out camcorder guides on www.doom9.org (Guides link)

All the best,

Dave

No FIREWIRE bundled! I'll get cracking then - Cheers for your help!

Hey,

Will a regualar Firewire cable do, or do I have to buy a camera specific cable?

Once the connections fit on each end you're good to go... most consumer cameras have the small firewire connection... And the card in the Pc will have a bigger connection

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

didn;t read the other responces -

you need a firewire cable to stream the data to your hard drive - it will probably be a 4 pin to 4 pin cable (make sure you get the right one - I didn;t and learned to tell others ;))

Install windows movie maker (not great but free and will do the capturing trick) this comes with XP2.

when you plug in the camera it should come up automatically - if not start move make and select the capture video option - you can control the full camera from where and just capture what you want.

Make sure to select the right quality - going full DV format will be huge so think about where you want to show it and what you want to do with it - play with the settings and make your own judement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Hey Sticker

What do you think of the Canon 730i?
    A friend of mine was thinking of buying it because it has an analogue-to-digital convertor built in.

Hey Sticker

What do you think of the Canon 730i?
    A friend of mine was thinking of buying it because it has an analogue-to-digital convertor built in.

My Dad actually bought it - I started this thread for a bit of feedback.

He's happy enough with it no problems so far... I've still to buy the firewire cable.

Anyone know a good spot to buy one or do I have to buy a Canon one and pay top dollar?!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

any good PC shop will have them m8

Advertisement