Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessibility Suggestion

Options
  • 21-11-2004 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

After posting on this in the Accessibility / Mobility forum I had an idea.

The mobile style seems to be the best style for using screen reader software used by persons with a visual impairment. but as this is not the default style it would be difficult for a person visiting the site to find this setting.

So my suggestion is, could there be a link placed on the top of the front page giving a user the option to go straight to the mobile style. The DHTML menus at the top of the page do not seem to agree with speech software so going through them to find the mobile style is not really an option.

So a little link saying "low graphics version" could help. This could send a script which would choose the mobile skin automatically, or have a page say www.boards.ie/lmobile that would take you to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin but in the mobile style.

That's it really, I don't know if it was intentional, but ithe mobile style is the closest boards.ie has been to accessible, kudos to the person who came up with the style.

EDIT: other things that might be helpful that I forgot to mention:

1. If you could disable Avatars in the mobile skin

2. The Karma indicators cause speach software to say "billy the squid is a splendid one to behold" seven times. It would probably take even longer were one to read one of beruthiel's or smak's posts. could the Karma icons be removed from just the mobile style.

also some more short cut URLs could be added a quick way would be to have one for each category like below

www.boards.ie/arts
    www.boards.ie/comp
    www.boards.ie/games
    www.boards.ie/hosted
    www.boards.ie/rec
    www.boards.ie/region

and so on down the main categories.

oh and one more thing, it might also be a good idea to disable signitures in this also.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Any word on this?

I think it would be extremely helpful if these could be implimented.

Also if possible in the Evil skin (and I think maybe the Black skin) could hyperlinks be either underlined, made a different colour or both.

'Twould be extremely handy!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thanks for all the changes.

Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The links are looking lovely in evil

although the colourd bars in polls cannot be seen, Im using mozilla firefox if that has anything to do with it.

also still waiting for a reply with regard to changes to the mobile style.

thanking you in advance.

Advertisement