Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6820 Bounce game

Options
  • 21-11-2004 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Ive been asked to look into getting the game 'Bounce' from a Nokia 6820 and somehow get it onto a Motorolla mpx200, both phone are java enabled, but I assume I would have to remap the buttons and such.

Im a java programmer so I could possibly decompile the java code and change it so that it would work on the other phone. I know next to nothing about phones though, is this at all feasible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

I don't know how difficult it would be to get the game down off the Nokia on to your computer - if you can get that far you've dealt with a major stumbling block - but a few things to watch out for.

* Is the game actually written in Java? Its quite possible to program in C on the Nokia phones, Nokia do provide the relevant SDKs (though saying that I don't know offhand what version OS the 6820 is)
    * If it is written in Java, what version MIDP was used, 1 or 2. (i.e. what version of the Java mobile API was the game developed in)
    * If Java, was the game written using 'pure' MIDP, or were Nokia extensions used? If MIDP 1 its quite likely the Nokia extensions were used - not the end of the world if you want to decompile the class files, but would make things difficult.

Sorry if I don't answer your question, just want to help you build a list of things to watch out for.

Being curious, I had a quick google for bounce on Nokia phones (as I've never seen the game (or the phone) myself). Looks like theres a few variants around, most of which were SIS files - in simple terms these are Nokia executables. However I did find another version (for the Nokia 7210) which was a JAR file (did a search for nokia bounce.jar)
    Assuming its the same game, you at least would be able to have a look at the files within the JAR file and see how you get on. I'd guess just looking at the list of files that its probably using the Nokia extensions, but it should be possible to work around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Yeah i have it on a 7210 its the same game.

opr wrote:
    Yeah i have it on a 7210 its the same game.

Thats good news.
    It should be possible (though not necessarily easy) to get this converted to work on the Motorola then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Here's a link where you can download all Nokia java games free and it includes the bounce.jad and bounce.jar files.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

wolfman wrote:
    Here's a link where you can download all Nokia java games free and it includes the bounce.jad and bounce.jar files.

how do i get it on to my phone

how do i get it on to my phone

The simplest way I know is to go to the site via your web browser. Find the game you want to download, hover over the JAD file (don't click it, just take note of the URL).

Now on your Nokia add a bookmark to the full URL e.g. http://www.whatever.link/whatever/game.jad

Make sure you keep the case sensitivity!

Now access the bookmark and it should offer to install the game.

As for converting the bounce game to the Motorola, looks like the Motorola is actually a MIDP2 phone, so it should be easier to convert the game to that (any Nokia extensions probably have a MIDP2 equivalent),

Advertisement