Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom bb & Remote Desktop\VNC

• 21-11-2004 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

hey all just wondering if you could lend some help...I have recently installed eircom bb and want to set up remote desktop web connection or vnc...

I also have a wireless network in place with internet connection shraing between two pcs..

Now i have setup both vnc java server and remote desktop web connection and they work working perfectly only on the internel ip's ie it works great between the two wirless pc's but i can't get it setup to use the broadband ip..I've tried taking the firewall down to see if that was the issue but it made no difference..stills works on internel ip's but not externel...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

you need to enable port forwarding. find out what vnc uses and forward that port from your router to the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Full instructions on www.realvnc.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

So if for example im using say port 1234 for vnc java server i need to forward this port to the router?do i do this in the router settings?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

do you have a static public IP... you need one to use vnc from a remote location

nopes i dont have a static ip but its public alrite...it won't make a difference after that once you know the ip...it works great off iol bb which has a dynimaic ip..just want it working on eircom now :rolleyes: then again iol bb doesn't have this router business like eircom....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

Hi
    Very Easily done

1. Register with no-ip.com , it easy and the will leave with FQDN eg. napalm.no-ip.com , So no matter what your public IP is you will always be found at that address.

2. In the Advanced features of the netopia Router set up a PINHOLE to the IP of the PC in question and use port 3389 all the way ,

Very easy and works great .

great thanks! :D yep ive already setup an account with dyndns.org its great no remembering ip malarky!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

declans wrote:
    use port 3389 all the way

Or port 5900 for VNC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As an extra security measure, i'd change the ports. i.e. open up something like port 35900 on your firewall and get it to forward to 5900 for vnc.

Some of the common ports like those used for VNC and PCAnywhere are susceptible to hack searches. This way someone has to scan your complete port range to find out what is available.

Advertisement