Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirates!

Options
  • 21-11-2004 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

i just realised they are doing a remake of sid meiers pirates!
    ah good memories of playing that game for hours on the c64 :)
    the remake will probably be crap though
    has anyone heard much about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

http://pc.ign.com/articles/567/567694p1.html

review here

seems very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I want this game !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Actually this is looking like a good remake that's gonna be very faithful to the original. Sid Meier's still leading the design team and they're putting a lot of emphasis on retaining the freeform gameplay of the original game.
    There's only one review so far which is from IGN and is looking very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Peteee wrote:

Oops beat me to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't wait for its Xbox release. Pirates! Gold remains my favourite ever game, still play it all the time on my GP32's Megadrive emulator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i never knew it came out on the megadrive
    i got the rom and played it last night
    still a great game
    the remake will probably be crap though

after reading up on it more maybe im wrong
    i hope i am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'm not that fussed. Might Yarr! it though.

*Budum-tish!*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PcZone gave it 87%, i think. it looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

is this a remake of the ye olde pirates game, where you sailed around the caribbean and attacked ships and towns, and recruited people to join your bloodthirsty crew? I had a game called pirates on the atari ST, just wondering if it was the same game.

it is indeed a remake of the same game
    sid meier is a genius :)

• Advertisement

has anyone else seem other reviews for this
    it was out yesterday in the U.S and still hardly any reviews :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i looked, but i couldn't find any decent reviews, except the ign one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Bought this in pc world in liffey valley today. 60euro limited edition w/ free t-shirt. Will install and give verdict later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Freeform Gameplay you say? Definetly sounds like it's right up my alley so. Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Been playing it now for the past 3-4 hours and the first thing that came to mind was how easy it was to pick up. Nothing complicated at all aboot it, all you need in your numpad and your mouse for menu's and thats ALL the controls. A bit repetitive but seeing as you have to recycle your crew every few months to avoid mutiny its not all that repetitive. Good game, graphics are ok, gameplay gets an 8 from me.

You also get the original Pirates! game free with the limited edition, along with t-shirt, extra dvd of mods and interviews, parchment map. Great value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Freeform Gameplay you say? Definetly sounds like it's right up my alley so. Must check it out.

Freeform in the sense that you can attack any ship or town you like, and accept or decline any missions that pop up. People don't go about their lives, but ships do. There's not a huge amount of variety, but it's great fun to play in relatively short bursts. Short bursts being 2-3 hours at a time...

It's more or less the same classic Sid Meir made ages ago, but prettier, more coherent (Towns get rich/poor depending on the safe arrival of immigrants, treasure, etc, there are trade routes that ships actively sail across, and pirate towns where pirates sail from to pillage said ships, and no more of those random encounter things), and with extra-frilly shirts. If you like pirates in any shape or form, you'll love Pirates!. It's simple as that...

Advertisement