Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9800 pro running at 40fps.....

Options
  • 21-11-2004 5:24pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

.......in Counter Strike, not CS:Source!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:. And I'm getting 15fps in halflife2. I havent got a clue, i tried configuring it, no difference to fps. I also tried to get the latest drivers, no difference :( This is unbeleivable, my geforce2 mx performed as good if not better than this. Any suggestions. My computer is AMD Athlon 2000, 512ddr Ram. Windows XP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I'd check Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering first, make sure they're not turned on in your card peoperties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

also check that openGL and direct 3d ar set to max performance ..not max quality..that would kill your framerate too i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

chipset drivers for your motherboard?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Yes I've turned antianaltsing etc off. When I put it up to max performance, I get the same fps as max quality :confused: How would I go about looking into chipset drivers??? Hopefully that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Find out the manufacturer and model of your motherboard and post it here. I'm sure some kindly soul will find thr right chipset drivers for you.
    Also try running Adaware or the like for spyware and do a defrag. They can't hurt and might help slightly.

• Advertisement

popinfresh wrote:
    When I put it up to max performance, I get the same fps as max quality :confused:

that is damn strange! i tried it once and i jump about 3000 points in 3dmark03 from max quality to performance
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

As long as AA and AF are off it should be more than ok at max quality. I wouldn't change this to performance with a 9800 pro.

I think your going to be cpu limited especially for HL2. A 2000+ xp just doesn't cut it for that game but you should be getting more than what your getting. Check for spyware. Make sure all drivers are up to date ect. Check to see what agp speed your graphics card is running at.

BloodBath

Board model : MSI MS-6712
    Chipset : VT8366/A,VT8367 Apollo KT266/A,KT333 CPU to PCI Bridge.

HOpe that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.
    oh and for the record, I did a the video-stress thing in cs. With all the settings in my graphics card set to maximum performance, and all the options in the game on high I got an average 39.6fps. With all the settings on the graphics card set to low (high performance) and all the settings in the game set to low i got an fps of 41.3. :confused: WTF! That makes me think it might be something to do with the motherboard or bios maybe

To be honest I really think it's your processor. You could have an X800xt in there and you probably wouldn't get more fps than your getting now.

The physics engine of HL2 is really demanding on the processor and there are no settings to change this. Well there are a few changes you can make to the config but why not get yourself a mobile xp 2400 and overclock it? They are only 85e and you should be able to get at least 2.4ghz out of it.

Your Cs frame rate should be higher though. I doubt it's anything to do with the mobo or bios.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

what is your 3Dmark2003 Score. now benchmark it again see what the difference is.

Post your Scores?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

BloodBath wrote:
    To be honest I really think it's your processor. You could have an X800xt in there and you probably wouldn't get more fps than your getting now.

The physics engine of HL2 is really demanding on the processor and there are no settings to change this. Well there are a few changes you can make to the config but why not get yourself a mobile xp 2400 and overclock it? They are only 85e and you should be able to get at least 2.4ghz out of it.

Your Cs frame rate should be higher though. I doubt it's anything to do with the mobo or bios.

BloodBath

how fast will a 2400 mobile overclock to, with a good heatsink?? you say 2.4 ghz, is taht guaranteed or pot luck

also is it socket A compatible??

as for the opig. post, id say its your processor, i have a 2200 paired with a 6800 and get about 60 fps in hte stress test

In fairness though, I'm getting bad fps in halflife1 games, so that would imply that it's not processor related.

Peteee wrote:

as for the opig. post, id say its your processor, i have a 2200 paired with a 6800 and get about 60 fps in hte stress test

id say its processor related too now im getting 90fps on that stress test and your vid card craps on mine :confused:

how fast will a 2400 mobile overclock to, with a good heatsink?? you say 2.4 ghz, is taht guaranteed or pot luck

also is it socket A compatible??

Nothing's guarenteed with overclocking but from the list of overclocks i've seen most people reach at least 2.4ghz. I got a friend to order one and he got 2.5ghz. You don't even need a good heatsink as they produce very little heat. My friend is using a cheap 10e one.

It is socket A compatable and the multis are unlocked. Pc3200 ram is the way to go with them but they will work fine with lower speeds.

BloodBath

OK, I overclocked my 2000+ to 1.9GHz (I've got extra fans, don't worry). And, there's little or no difference in terms of fps.

I have my 2000+ in my other machine at 1.9ghz as well. It still sucks though, **** all cache and a crap core.

With a geforce 2 mx 32mb i get about the same fps in CS as your getting there though.

Well if you changed from nvidia to ati did you completely remove the nvidia drivers? Just uninstalling them doesn't get rid of them completely. There are programs to remove the final parts. Have a look on google but i'd recomend a format if it's not too much hastle.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I guarentee it's not the CPU, jesus some people on this thread.

Remove the drivers and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Giblet wrote:
    jesus some people on this thread.

prof4.jpg

oooohhheeeoeeiee

Yeah, that was my plan E :|.

ok, thanks for that

the better heatsink , is really just for a better/quiter fan, the fan i have on my cpu at the moment is drivin me crazy

then again will probably hold off upgradeing untill next year, should have plenty of money when im on co-op

if your only getting 15fps on the original counter strike i would recommend formatting tbh

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote:
    ok, thanks for that

the better heatsink , is really just for a better/quiter fan, the fan i have on my cpu at the moment is drivin me crazy

then again will probably hold off upgradeing untill next year, should have plenty of money when im on co-op

if your only getting 15fps on the original counter strike i would recommend formatting tbh

What are you hoping to gain by formatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

jessy wrote:
    What are you hoping to gain by formatting?

maybe he has a virus or a worm, or maybe Peteee is evil! and wants to play a bad joke

Nah my bet is that it's a driver problem. He hasn't removed the detonator drivers properly.

Google detonator destroyer. That should get rid of them properly and re-install your ati drivers. If that doesn't fix it, format.

BloodBath

By formatting he might get rid of driver remnants or something.

Or driver cleaner 3 or something to that effect.

Als, i'm evil anyway!

Peteee wrote:
    By formatting he might get rid of driver remnants or something.

Or driver cleaner 3 or something to that effect.

Als, i'm evil anyway!

you prob are evil but don't you think a format is a bit to evil?

i formatted my pc a few weeks ago??

its no big deal, just back up your important stuff.

if he's only gettin 15fps in counter strike theres obviously something severly wrong with his pc.

Advertisement