Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just got set up with my first dish

• 21-11-2004 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Impulse purchases.
    I bought a "Strong " FTA digital box and dish in the irish life mall shopping centre in Dublin. Stuck it up last night minus Type F connectors etc . pointed it in the same direction as the neighbours sky dish. In the list of satellites available to me , i can get a signal from three options, Astra 2a/2B/2D, and Most, and Astra 1B-C/EH 2C.
    Its a fixed dish so i dont know how i'm getting all these options, but from reading past threads I really only have the stations on Astra 2a/2B/2D, I get 207 TV Stations, the vast amount of these are shopping channels, the ones i get on Most, and Astra 1B-C/EH 2C Satellites are repeated in the Astra 2a/2B/2D, i.e I get nothing new with these options, So I think something is up as the channels lists for Astra 1B-C/EH 2C seems to have lots of stations (it and Ger) that Astra 2a/2B/2D hasn't got.
    Was also looking at the Hotbird list, is it worth tuning into? I set the Dish up and it came defaulted with some stuff tuned in, one of these was EuroSport but once I picked a Satellite and did a full scan I lost eurosport, and eurosport in not listed as being available on Astra 2a/2B/2D. This makes me winder if i'm missing something.

What I'm getting at here is that I want to get the best from the dish, If i have to upgrade to a motorised dish then i will, is it worth it ?, the box i have supports multiple fixed dish and a motorised dish.
    Does anyone know a site that gives a decent description of these stations, like Bonanza for example is that ever any use? are there ever movies on these stations, i see that the horror channel is listed as a movie channel.
    I guess I'm looking for some direction on where to go next, I'm new to this area but am generally ok technically.
    Also for the 100 question, anyone know where to by decent reasonably priced Type f connectors with a suitable crimps, I tried CPC/Farnelles but i could not get it through to the sales rep, i eventually got a crimpers and 4 types of type F connectors but none of em worked, I got some twist on ones but are these any use? I'd prefer em to be crimped

Thanks lads

Stoner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Stoner wrote:
    Stuck it up last night minus Type F connectors etc . pointed it in the same direction as the neighbours sky dish.

Hopefully you made sure that no water can get into the LNB connector, or you could end up with a blown tuner in the receiver.
    Stoner wrote:
    In the list of satellites available to me , i can get a signal from three options, Astra 2a/2B/2D, and Most, and Astra 1B-C/EH 2C.

If you can receive the BBC channels and the shopping channels, your dish is pointed at Astra 28E, regardless of what 'options' the receiver gives you.

Stoner wrote:
    Was also looking at the Hotbird list, is it worth tuning into? I set the Dish up and it came defaulted with some stuff tuned in, one of these was EuroSport but once I picked a Satellite and did a full scan I lost eurosport, and eurosport in not listed as being available on Astra 2a/2B/2D. This makes me winder if i'm missing something.

Eurosport is only available Free-to-Air on analogue. It's encrypted on digital.
    Stoner wrote:
    Also for the 100 question, anyone know where to by decent reasonably priced Type f connectors with a suitable crimps, I tried CPC/Farnelles but i could not get it through to the sales rep, i eventually got a crimpers and 4 types of type F connectors but none of em worked, I got some twist on ones but are these any use? I'd prefer em to be crimped

The twist on ones are most common and work fine.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/sathowto-p8.htm
    www.grandata.co.uk sell packs of 100 F-connectors for just over GBP15 (including registered post to Ireland) - about €23 in total. They also sell in packs of 10 but postage will differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

As my learned friend says twist on connectors are fine

Some of the strong receivers do not have all the BBC transponders in the datbase so heres a step by step guide, hope it helps :

In order to receive the BBC free to air channels, please follow the following simple steps.

Connect receiver to TV and antenna as per normal.
    Switch on receiver and select “Menu”
    Select “Installation
    Enter Pin NO (1,2,3,4,)
    Select “Channel Set-up
    You will see “channel set-up” page. Beside “Satellite” will be “Astra 19ºE” highlighted in orange – press select on remote control
    You will now have a satellite listing from which you should highlight “Astra 28ºE
    Once “Astra 28ºE” has been highlighted, press select on remote control
    Highlight “Frequency” and press select on remote control
    A list of TP frequencies will appear and you should now press the BLUE button with text “Pause” on the remote control
    Now enter the BBC frequency which is 10.773
    Now scroll to the right and select H using the up/down arrow on the remote control
    Now scroll to the right again and enter 22000
    Now press green button on remote control with the text “sound” to save the data
    From list of frequencies on the right hand side of the screen, scroll down to select the last frequency added and then press select
    Now press the green button “sound” on remote control
    The receiver will now search and automatically save channels.

When all of the above are tuned, please press EXIT until picture is received

You have now successfully added one of the BBC frequencies. To add further
    Frequencies please select “menu”, “installation”, enter pin 1,2,3,4 and select channel
    set- up. You should then repeat steps I to Q for each of the following frequencies.

1 10.788 - V - 22000
    2 10.803 - H - 22000
    3 10.818 - V - 22000
    4 10.847 - V - 22000

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Stoner wrote:
    Impulse purchases.
    I bought a "Strong " FTA digital box and dish in the irish life mall shopping centre in Dublin.

how much was the system + in what shop? I need to buy a another dish & digibox to connect to Hotbird 6 now that Fashion TV has been removed from the SKY EGP AStra satelitte. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks for the advice lads,

I have all the BBC channels, got a list last night and checked against what i have, looks like Astra 1, and the hotbirds are the only other decent looking options, i was wondering if its worth getting a second fixed dish, or a motorised one.
    I got the system in that electronics shop in the irish life mall (Talbot Street Dublin) it was 200 euro, came with dish bracket even the rawl bolts to fix the dish as well as the tunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Stoner wrote:
    thanks for the advice lads,

I have all the BBC channels, got a list last night and checked against what i have, looks like Astra 1, anf the hotbirds are th only options, i was wondering if its worth getting a second fixed dish, or a motorised one.
    I got the system in that electronics shop in the irish life mall (Talbot Street Dublin) it was 200 euro, came with dish bracket even the rawl bolts to fix the dish as well as the tunner

Think about putting more than 1 LNB on your existing dish. Although I haven't had the time to sort out / through all the channels now available, I had very little trouble setting things up, with all the help available from the lads here. Search for my posts on this forum.
    regards
    t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Will do, thanks, i think i need a diSec something or other swith box, and i have options to change LNBs thats a great Idea. I'll check the old posts- it was very easy to set up in the end

http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/satellite.htm

good type F connection stuff here, I've been doing it right all along, i just thought they were abit micky mouse, i've had trouble working with amps and loft boxes recently with type f connectors

Advertisement