Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 or xBox? Which should I get?

Options
  • 21-11-2004 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm looking to get either a PS2 or an xBox, and I'm undecided as to which one to get.

Xtravision has deals on both consoles - either one plus a game is €189.

So, could you guys help me out a bit? ie: pros and cons for both, which has the better games and so on.

Much appreciated ;)

Edit ---> the PS2 offer in Xtravision is the new slim PS2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

it all depends on urself

personaly im a ps man
    the new ps2 is nice and slick too
    its goin at the moment with 3 games for €199

if ur more into multiplayer games and online play
    i might suggest xbox and xbox live blah blah

but im a ps2 person its just easier and more popular and its got far more games

o well
    its up 2 u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

xbox

halo2.
    burnout3 is better.
    forenza motorsport coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

or you could get 2 of the consoles like me :D
    im a xbox man at heart
    xbox is great for fps like halo2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Hmmm. Let me think. If you get a PS2, you can play GTA:SA. If you get an XBox, you can play Halo 2 now, and GTA:SA in 6 months when it's released for XBox... what to do.... :P

Beh, I'm not really a console person myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

gamecube anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

it all depends on urself

personaly im a ps man
    the new ps2 is nice and slick too
    its goin at the moment with 3 games for €199

if ur more into multiplayer games and online play
    i might suggest xbox and xbox live blah blah

but im a ps2 person its just easier and more popular and its got far more games

o well
    its up 2 u

Whereabouts is that deal? The one for the PS2 and 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

gamecube anyone?

dont go there

Screw it, I'll get the PS2.

Just out of interest, can the xBox play audio CD's and DVD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

qz wrote:
    Screw it, I'll get the PS2.

Just out of interest, can the xBox play audio CD's and DVD's?

yes it can but you have to get a remote

edit --- get an xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Xbox

• Advertisement

yes it can but you have to get a remote

edit --- get an xbox

PS2 it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

gamecube anyone?

yea , why didnt u take the gamecube into consideration.

great console with great games , metroid , all mario games , zelda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

xbox and get live- u wont regret that

(i have a ps2 also,xbox wins everytime)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

I'd actually go with smoke.me.a.kipper and say GC.

Games I'd ever want for PS2 - FF X, Devil May Cry series, GTA:SA
    For XBox - Halo, Halo 2... uh that's it.
    GC - Metroid Prime 1 & 2, The new Zelda game coming out next year, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia Legends, SSBM.

XBox has a FEW good games, but not enough. PS2 and GC roughly tie each other for games I'd ever want to play(GC inches into the lead)... depends on personal preference. (Plus, GTA:SA will be out on PC in 6 months anyway)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And don't forget panzer dragoon orta on xbox.

Me i'd go for a Ps2 out of the two.

Otherwise get a gamecube. It has many more games that should be played by everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

the ps2 plus 3 games for €199 new
    is in Dixons im pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

well tbh i only would of said ps2 for gta:sa but the fact that its coming out on the xbox soon id go for xbox
    gta:sa has pushed the ps2 as far as its going to go and you aint going to get better than that game.afaik xbox is cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Go with the console that has the most games and/or types of games that you want to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I have access to all three consoles and in my opinion the PS2 is the best with Gamecube second. The only reason to buy an X-Box is Halo and it's not all that great.
    PS2 has San Andreas with MGS3 and GT4 coming soon, and a massive back catalogue with everything from Final Fantasy to Ratchet & Clank. Big multiplatform games tend to come to PS2 first and tend to be best played on a PS2 joypad(the PS2 pad is by far my favourite joypad too by the way, it's more comfortable and has more buttons and functions than any other controller), although the other consoles do have better graphics and in particular much better load times.
    Gamecube has it's First Party Support, which means Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario etc. etc. I would particularly say if you like multiplayer games go for this for games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Warioware, Monkeyball etc. to go for a Gamecube. The really great single player games on Gamecube can sometimes be a bit too few and far between though, with very little filler in between. (by filler I mean those really good but not quite great games that you can play while waiting for the next big release, the PS2 has tons of them)
    The X-Box is powerful but it really is lacking exclusive quality games. Knights of the Old Republic is the best of them in my opinion and you can get that on PC. Same goes for Splinter Cell(which is also out on other consoles now but not as good). Someone mentioned Burnout 3 and I would say the game plays identically on the two consoles, but the X-Box has much shorter loading times and I prefer to play it on X-Box for that reason, although I do prefer the PS2 joypad. Halo 2 is the big reason to get an X-Box, it's good but I'd rather play San Andreas any day(on a side note I'm really looking forward to the X-Box version of San Andreas because the PS2 does struggle with the graphics, but I'd still rather play it now on PS2 than wait ages to play it on X-Box, especially considering the other PS2 games that will be out by then).

Each console has it's good and bad points, if you can't tell I spend an unhealthy amount of time with all three consoles, but the PS2 certainly gets the majority of my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i never really got into the ps2 - never went near the gc - but i love my xbox. it does have alot less games than the ps2 but once it's full potential is unlocked it's great playing roms etc on it and then having a go of halo2 or burnout 3

Nige

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

PS2 or XBOX. A hard decision. Granted if you have the moola, of course get both.
    Xbox better, coz more advanced system, plays ur music with your games, and XBOX live. Better 4 the hardware, than the games u can get 4 it, i guess. Played Halo 1, O.K. but not anything great.
    PS2 getting old but still the DADDY.
    So i guess if you want the ultimate system with loads of games choose PS2, but if you want the most powerful machine, XBOX is 4 you, & as some1 said, GTA:SA in 6 months.
    It would be worth the wait 2 save up the cash 4 more games & an XBOX live sub.

C YA :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I had this very same dilemma runnin back and forth in my head for two months. i finally decided to get an xbox and I love it. if i got the ps2 it would have been for gta, im already bored of playin little bits of gta on my mates ps2. i love halo 2, burnout 3 plays miles better, kotor is amazing and i shall be gettin jet set radio future today! the main reason i got an xbox was online play though cause ive only recently gotten into pc online gaming but i dont really like sittin playin games on the pc except shooters.

ps2 is good for rpgs but you wont have the time to get through all the good ones.

although me personally, I still rate my gamecube above all of them. Zelda, metroid prime, viewtiful joe, resi 4, a more comfortable controller, small and light, best first party titles on any console and it also gets the majority of third party titles ie Warrior within, timesplitters series, call of duty......

get a gamecube!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

uh i dunno if u have a pc i'd get a ps2, nearly all the xbox games are 100x better on the pc (halo2 vs hl2/Far Cry/COD , kotor, splinter cell, etc..) . the ps2 might not be powerfull but it does have some quality games, me personally i'd spend the dosh upgrading me pc a bit more...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

PS2

GT4, metal gear 3.... nuff said really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have the xbox, ps2 and gamecube. The xbox is much better than the other two in my opinion. And now that pro evo 4 is coming out on the xbox i think my ps2 is going to become very redundant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

For a good comparison have a look at PS2 and X - Box on metacritic.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys, but I think i'm going for the PS2. It is such a close call though believe me.

Thanks again. :)

--->qz

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yuri

crazy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

no one really mentioned the chip and large hard drive option......ah well it's your cash, that said I am buying a ps2 and a gamecube in the new year once those shares come through :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Good point. forget to advertise the lack of a need for memory cards with an xbox. loading times generally are better as a result too..

Advertisement