Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 or xBox? Which should I get?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

exactly Blub2k4, qz do you realise all you can do with an xbox and a modchip - store/watch /play/listen to videos (nearly any codec divx,avi,mpg etc.), music (mp3,wav etc), games (regular xbox games plus emulaters like sega mega drive and super nintendo for example - play sonic the hedgehog and super mario bros etc) and photos (any type).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yuri

The xbox games are €10 dearer but xbox has 4 controller slots so no money wasted on multi-tap or memory cards. Xbox console is cheaper i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yuri wrote:
    The xbox games are €10 dearer

No there not. New Xbox, PS2 and GC games are the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

is there a better deal out there for a ps2 than the one in xtravision
    €189 for a new ps2 and fifa2005?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Yuri wrote:
    The xbox games are €10 dearer but xbox has 4 controller slots so no money wasted on multi-tap or memory cards. Xbox console is cheaper i think.

dearer games???? with a 120gb hard drive and an xtravision nearby my games are surprisingly cheap! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Im own all 3 myself (xbox,ps2,gc)
    Id rate the ps2 top followed by the GC !
    PS2 joypad in my opinion is much more comfortable to use than the rest,the xbox is feckin huge if space is an issue like!
    Overall there is a far greater selection of title available for the ps2 granted its not the most powerfull console but in my opinion it is the most playable one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Personally I think the xbox is weakest of the consoles, but it must be said it makes a great wee enterainment center once you've chipped it. Nearly all the games it has a cráp ( halo isnt that good and halo 2 is just more of the same) and better can be found on a PC.

I would suggest you go with a gamecube if you're looking for a few quality games to play ,it certainly has the edge there but not volume, obut if its a volume then its the Playstation some amazing games ( I think the gamecube has more orginal ).

So consoles where films it would be as follows:

a) Gamecube ... Art House, classy films which everyone talks about but few people see.
    b) Playstation ... Hollywood blockbusters with some weird japanese shíte thrown in, and all of bollywood thrown in as well.
    c) Xbox ... Hollywood eyecandy (think indepenace day) and straight to video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I have all three too, gamecube is the best and then i'd have to put the ps2 and xbox at a level par (cos of the type of games i like).

Have you considered buying both second hand for the price of one new console?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Nearly all the games it has a cráp ( halo isnt that good and halo 2 is just more of the same) and better can be found on a PC.

I'm sick of comments like the above. "Surely better can be found on the PC" applies to all consoles and not just the xbox?
    Why do so many people insist on comparing ps2 to xbox and then comparing xbox to pc? xbox is not trying to compete with the PC and saying, ah the games are better on a PC to a guy with 150 euro in his pocket is possibly the most pointless advice to give anyone considering which console to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I have the xbox ps2 and the cube (not bragging just telling it like it is)

The xbox makes most ps2 games look dated. Compare the cross console games, burnout 3 etc and the xbox is far better. However the ps2 has a huge catalog of games, most of which are crap but There is obviously a lot of great ones out there too. The xbox has got halo (2) which I'm not a big fan of (which is another arguement) but also has riddick, star wars battlefront, ninja gaiden etc.. and will be getting GTA sa soon enough.

Personally I prefer the cube. If you look at the games that are console specific the cube wins hands down.
    Wario ware, metroid 1 + 2, zelda, mario, mario kart, res evil, f zero etc. Plus its cheaper.

If however you're def going for the ps2 or xbox check out gamestop for the deals they're doing. Get an xbox and 2 classic or preowned gaes for 169. can't beat that. That where I got mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Comparing the xbox to a pc is valid, and while its true that yes a pc will out perform all console available at present. What sets the other two consoles apart from the xbox is the variety of the games they offer.
    Simply put the xbox at present caters for a largely mainstream us audience so lots of guns and vroom vroom and the usual movie tie in's. The day I see something remotely original on the xbox is the day I'll retract my statement.

All depends on what you what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Comparing the xbox to a pc is valid, and while its true that yes a pc will out perform all console available at present. What sets the other two consoles apart from the xbox is the variety of the games they offer.
    Simply put the xbox at present caters for a largely mainstream us audience so lots of guns and vroom vroom and the usual movie tie in's. The day I see something remotely original on the xbox is the day I'll retract my statement.

All depends on what you what.

I agree that if you want true originality in your games the xbox is probably not the best place to look, ps2 has rez etc and the cube has well, nintendo games but there is more to the xbox than just your run of the mill games. ninja Gaiden is brilliant and original being one that comes to mind. (although not many others are springing to mind at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You can pick up a second hand gamecube with 4 controllers and half a dozen classic games for what you'll pay for a new standalone PS2 or XBox.

If you don't want a GameCube, I'd recommend the XBox. The PS2 does have a huge catalogue of games, but it's blockbuster exclusives are dwindling by the month (MGS, GTA, PES...) while the XBox has some fantastic exclusives, as well as usually receiving the best version of multi-format games. And XBox Live!, if that floats yoyr boat.

Go for the PS2 if you've no dvd player (welcome to the new millenium, by the way), like your japanese role playing games, or want to play some of the more quirky games like Rez, Freakout and whatnot. Of course, the GameCube covers the last two pretty well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yuri

Ciaran500 wrote:
    No there not. New Xbox, PS2 and GC games are the same price.

I retract my statment xbox games are indeed the same price as ps2 games.
    Halo 2 kicks ass!

Advertisement