Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you Sony...

• 04-08-2000 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Sony, for the lovely MS Walkman. Thank you, Richer Sounds in Dublin, for selling it to me for £299 instead of the marked price of £399. Thank you, my employer, for my bonus, allowing me to pay only £49 for this lovely piece of kit.

For those who don't know it, The Sony MS (MemoryStick) Walkman NW-MS7 is a tiny little yolk (half the size of a pack of 20 cigarettes) that comes with a 64Mb memory stick, USB cable and software for Win98. It supports MP3, WAV and Audio CD's - converts these into its own highly compressed audio format. Transferring these files onto the player's memory stick through the USB takes mere seconds and the sound quality from it is excellent. I've squeezed 18 songs (just over 80 minutes of digital audio) into the 64Mb.

Apparently it uses a slightly more advanced version of the compression used on minidiscs. I'm impressed anyway..! Anyone else had the chance to play with one of these nice little toys? - More to the point, anyone have any idea how much the memory sticks cost on their own?

Bard

|home page|scary éire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

_buy_ the memory sticks? hahahah

check out http://www.aibo-europe.com
    after christmas you can go up to kids on the street with them ask them can you have a look and run off with their memory ..
    or wait till late january and they'll be found in rubbish bins all over ireland smile.gif

http://www.filmsoc.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

What a bad buy Bard.

Memory sticks are expensive, MiniDisks are cheap. mp3 walkman 64 meg hold 18 songs, 5 MDs in your back pocket hold much more.

Later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm not too bothered about having a load of music in my **** pocket- if I'm out and about, 80 minutes of music in a walkman per day is more than enough for me. Then again, I AM curious to find out how much the extra Memory Sticks cost.

Bard

|home page|scary éire

http://www.sony-europe.com/com/walkman/english/index.html

well I think it's a f**kin' cool piece of kit, - especially considering how good a deal I got on it. I would never have paid £400 for it, mind you.

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I just wouldnt pay for it full stop smile.gif

walkmans...pleh smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

letsbuyit.com are selling them now - dunno how much tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

300 quid for 64 megs in this day and age?!?! Sure i picked up a Diamond rio pumped up to 96 megs there over a year ago for 350.

And then next month creative are releasing thier nomad jukebox - which holds 6 gigs! for $500 - about 450 quid

As for minidisks - all that hassle recording songs - sloooow, eats batteries, bulky, skiping - crap.

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 11-08-2000).]

actually- don't start... but I'm going to be bringing the f**king thing back for a full refund as its crashing randomly during the transfer of the songs.

The 300 quid will be put to better use buying me a plane ticket anyhow wink.gif

Bard
    |home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmmm,

MP3 player - Link digital cable, record songs

Minidisk - Link Digital cable, record songs...

Sorry bubbles, don't see the problem - if you're doing it right that is.. smile.gif

And not all minidisks chew batteries. Mine lasts for 10 on the internal, and 38 with the plugon 3xAA pack.
    I recharge every 3 weeks or so......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

It a mp3 player u just have to copy the files across, with a MD u have to play them and record them ? Am i wrong here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

the elephant has no legs

Advertisement