Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mullholland wierd

• 21-11-2004 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

ok im just watching mulholland drive

i should have learned the first time i watched it but

WHAT THE F*** IS GOING ON IN THIS MOVIE??

is there a point or is it just david lynch going even more mad then twin peaks???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i think its primarily about a lesbian scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

and that isnt the sole reason im watching it again i swear

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

(Homer watching Twin Peaks)

Brillant! I have absolutely no idea what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fatboy

Mulholland weird alright!

Ah feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

The end is the beginning, all of the main body, after the pillow at the beginning is a dream (Naomi Watts dream) She was rejected by Cammila in real life carry it from there yourself.....

• Advertisement

im even confused from that explanation

and why was there a trafficlight on the tree?????

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Click here for a site with the full plot explanation...

my head hurts

i think i will watch donnie darko to make the world make sense again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was supposed to be a full TV series, but budget problems forced him to try and fit everything in on top of the pilot episode. It's a wonderful mindf*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I suppose from a certain perspective, in that the movie heightens how Holywood objectifies women, the entire movie is about the lesbian scene. Leaving that aside, the movie's worth watching on its own merits, even if you just keep an eye out for the red lampshade. Miss the bit before the credits start and you may never understand it (even just in the simplistic way that I think I understand it). It's up there with Lynch's best work, though I wouldn't have had the patience if they'd made a TV series from it.
    So how many of you didn't even notice that Betty and Diane are the same person? Bah, go and watch it again

• Advertisement

wow i never know it actually made sense in a wierd perverse way

ah well ill leave this movie to peopl who can look past the obvious

but whats with the dwarf? and the blue box? and the wierd "thing" behind the cafe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This minor thing really annoyed me: the two women go to bed together and, although the end up having sex, their original intention was to go to sleep. Yet, they were both wearing full makeup! Any woman who knows anything about beauty (and two women as glamorous as these especially) would know that going to bed with make up is bad for your skin and so, would have removed it before bed. OK, in certain circumstances (drunkeness etc) you might leave it on but there was no such exceptional scenario in this case. OK, maybe the fact that the whole thing is a dream could let the makers get away with this but I think it's more that they don't truly put themselves into the minds of the characters down to their most trivial habits.

Apart from that, it's a pretty cool film. That explanation linked to above is good, especialy for me as I missed the start.

(this thread should be in the film forum, btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Thanks ixoy for the link!! that is a great explanation.. I had missed so much of that! + rep for you tomorrow!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

One theory I liked was
    Betty gets rejected, she makes a bargain with God/Devil and alternate reality high-jiinks ensue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Look, even David Lynch has admitted that he hasn't a clue what its about.

Love the lesbian stuff though, very arty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Kudos for the link, ixoy!
    I went to bed frustrated after watching this but am now enlightened.
    Definitely a return to form for Lynch. Have to say there aren't many films that can mess with your head like that. (Apart from anything written by Charlie Kaufman!).
    Wasn't the dwarf-like guy in the film also in Twin Peaks? In the series he did a weird dance and spoke backwards if I remember correctly? :confused:

Haruspex wrote:
    Wasn't the dwarf-like guy in the film also in Twin Peaks? In the series he did a weird dance and spoke backwards if I remember correctly? :confused:
    Yup. Michael J. Anderson. He played the Man From Another Place in "Twin Peaks". He was in charge of the Red Lodge, and sent Agent Dale Cooper clues, in his dreams, about who murdered Laura Palmer. As far as I can remember, he was the embodiment of Mike, the good spirit, as it were, and the nemesis of BOB. But then who really knows...

He didn't actually speak backwards though. Instead Anderson spoke the lines backwards and then they were subsequently reversed in production. So he's talking backwards lines backwards, meaning that it's proper speech that sounds fragmented and odd. I kept expecting him to do that little dance when the actor showed up in "Carnivale"...

and dont get me started on carnivale :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So when is Twin Peaks going to be repeated on TV?

RainyDay wrote:
    So when is Twin Peaks going to be repeated on TV?
    Dunno. I recommend buying Season One on DVD from somewhere like play.com, which has it for £24.99. The R1 boxed set is far cheaper, but doesn't contain the pilot.

Unfortunately, due to studios being bitches, you can't yet get Season 2 on DVD. Possibly, maybe, it's floating out there in some other form, but a proper DVD transfer hasn't yet materialised, despite frequent rumors. Still S1 is a worthy investment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement