Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Bank Draft for France

Options
  • 22-11-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I must pay for an ebay auction I won in France.
    It is for about EUR 160, so I want to get a bank draft,
    not send cash.

(Well if the envelope goes missing at least I get my money
    back in 7 years versus never)

I suppose I have to tell the cashier that it is for France, and not Ireland.

How does that work, do they have drafts for all the Eurozone countries,
    each drawn on a bank in that country? Like France, Germany, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is no euro cheque clearing system and so there is no viable euro bank draft.

the usual way to do what you want to do is by bank transfer. Ask your counterparty for their IBAN and BIC, and then go to your bank and ask to transfer the money.

The good news is that they will do this for you (if you are a personal customer) free, gratis and for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

thnx

I've already addressed an envelope, and put stamps on it.
    I don't want to throw 0.65c of stamps away.

So I googled and found
    http://www.bankofireland.co.uk/euro_update/cheques_&_drafts/

"What type of draft should should I buy, if I am sending it for negotiation in the euro zone?
    You should ask for a euro draft drawn on the country you are sending it to."

I use BOI, that sounds good unless the Irish arm says "That product is only available from UK branches" or "That is a discontinued product"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, good luck with it, but it's gonna cost you more than 65 cents. Don't you own a kettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Well, good luck with it, but it's gonna cost you more than 65 cents. Don't you own a kettle?

It was an "peel and stick" sticker stamp
    not a "lick and stick"

I think the kettle won't work
    (was this a conspiracy to stop that sort of thing by an post?)

As for the draft, BOI doesn't charge students fees for drafts under EUR 130
    so I'll get a 130 and a 30 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Used to be an FX official in a bank. Ask the seller for his bank a/c no + IBAN and BIC (swift) number. It is free to transfer amounts under 12500 within EU. Plus you can prove you sent it. PM me if you have any problems. Its way easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement