Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo - Playing as a SPOILER

Options
  • 22-11-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

What's the story with the level where you're playing as
    an alien
    - can't be bothered to sit through all the storyline that preceed each level!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You really are taking full advantage of the "experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Rosser wrote:
    What's the story with the level where you're playing as an alien - can't be bothered to sit through all the storyline that preceed each level!

Yes damn those development companies for wasting all of their time, money and resources on developing a plot!!! Sure what would you want a plot in a game for!! Go back to Space Invaders Rosser, might suit the attention span a bit better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

And theres a lot of people who havent got this game yet so shouldn't this be spoiler marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

What plot? :p Actually I think they over-complicated the plot (not that I struggled to follow ;)) and made the game reliant on the brilliant multiplayer.

MAJOR spoilers:

It looks like they changed the plot with not much time till release. I re-watched all the trailer videos I had downloaded, and all of them suggested an invasion of Earth being the main focus of the game.
    When in fact, Earth is a single level
    ! If you look at the the E3 2003 demo it looks like a premeditated attack - brutes and all!
    But in-game it's just a friggen fluke that they invaded Earth
    . If you look at the E3 2004 multiplayer demo, Zanaibar is introduced as an Elite fortification on Earth on some African coast. They said all multiplayer levels represented a place in single player
    - this one must have been cut
    . Also, the August trailer focuses on Earth and goes thorugh all the completed missions with the last incomplete one being saving the human race.
    The human race hardly needed saving, the Covenant turned out to be worse off

It was only in the October teaser that they represented the game in it's current state. And that was too short to discount all the other trailers.

Basically I'm saying Bungie sold out.
    The way the game ends back at Earth
    means (to me) that Halo2 was a series filler to extend Halo to Halo3 (and most likely Xbox2). Also, The story in the first mission just seems so rushed. If they put 2 or 3 more mission on Earth
    and then gone off with their other story
    , I would have been happy. It would have forced them to come up with someting new next time, instead of making Halo3 what Halo2 should have been.

I just prefer my games and movies to end with an ending. It doesn't have to be conclusive. Take Shrek1. It has an ending and a sequel that's just as good. Take Matrix2, it was the ultimate over hyping up for Matrix3 - which let a lot of people down. So Halo2 has made me very cynical of what Halo3 may be (
    especially since the Flood have a friken covenant ship now
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok now i'm confused.

• Advertisement

How are you confused? Have you completed the game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well done for spoiling the game for people who haven't played it yet. If I hadn't played it months ago I'd reach through this monitor and slap you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Please be mindful that not everybody has played the game in question up to that point. Don't spoil it on them.

(Master Chief is Kaiser Soze)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

(Master Chief is Kaiser Soze)

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loved the bit when you found out that the master chiefs mother was cortana and that his dad is darth vader.

• Advertisement
      • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I liked the story, until the end yes when my jaw hit the floor and i wanted to kill someone. It is wide open alright. But i read the books which fill in all the gaps from before halo 1, about halo 1, and since halo 1 to halo 2 (yes i know - geek). Its nota fluke they invaded earth for a start. Did you watch the ending? earth was referred to as the
        arc - the be all and end all control centre for all the rings turns out we are the forerunners or whoever inhabited earth before the first firing of the halo's hence, the covenant knew of earth and wanted to get their to start the rings and vegin their devine path to wherever it is they go when they die.
        pretty intricate story to be honest and i'm glad i read the books because it made the game a lot more enjoyable until the end when i was left hanging...good game, really enjoyed it and rol lon xbox 2 and halo 3.

I watched the ending, and I understood it. Actually I pretty much guessed it right after they said remote controll (or something like that). That's why I think the first level was rushed.
        You're told pretty much right away that the invasion was a mistake. I for one thought that the shamed covenant commander was going to seek revenge by invading Earth, maybe they could have played on that some more.
        If you say that the books all lead up to the Halo2 story then I have to believe you. However the 'revelation' didn't mean all that much to me, maybe because I havn't read the books. I'd hope that by the 2500's mankind will have explored all of Earth!

I was just looking forward to an FPS were you defend Earth in huge atmospheric battles from an alien invasion with all sorts of s*** going on (like in the trailers).

Are the books any good? I might get them from the library. I actually haven't been to a library in years!

I enjoyed the book yea, i mean you learn all about where the master chief came from and then you learn about how they all got back to earth (including the sarge). Worth a read if your a fan of science fiction and halo, but they aint gojng to win no nobel prize for literature.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

erm... did anyone else watch the credits to the end? What the hell is that thing? It's not something to do with the flood, sure it isn't?

flogen

It is.

My take on it is
        that the big wormy thing that also looked like a venus fly trap on sewerage is in fact some kind of flood leader and knows what starting the rings will do. hence his determination to 'stop the key from turning'. I reckon cortana works this out and somehow transmits this to the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i assume the whole reason behind playin as the arbiter is explained further in. im on the level after the one called "delta halo". i mean it just seemed like they jumped into playin as the arbiter out of nowhere. sure i followed the story but it was a bit confusin

is it explained later? it better be!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

My take on it is
        that the big wormy thing that also looked like a venus fly trap on sewerage is in fact some kind of flood leader and knows what starting the rings will do. hence his determination to 'stop the key from turning'. I reckon cortana works this out and somehow transmits this to the fleet.

you're probably right... I suppose that in itself creates a whole other game of story lines... the prediciment that comes from that situation... along with the obvious plot for Halo 3

flogen

evad_lhorg wrote:
        i assume the whole reason behind playin as the arbiter is explained further in. im on the level after the one called "delta halo". i mean it just seemed like they jumped into playin as the arbiter out of nowhere. sure i followed the story but it was a bit confusin

is it explained later? it better be!

Yup, the arbiter will begin to make as big an impact as you have so far with the master chief. Halo 2 was almost more about the arbiter than the master chief..you'll know what i mean when you finish. Its class... A little twisty too.,

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Have you read my post?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Yeah I'm so sorry, I want to play the game not live in, it's a game on X Box not War & Peace....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I think the arbiter levels are fantastic. The arbiter is an excellent character, and tho im only on the second mission with him, i hope he gets developed more over the course of the game. I loved the way in the games intro it showed how master chief was being rewarded and honoured for his destruction of halo and contrasted it with the arbiters torture and punishment for letting it happen. I have a funny feeling master chief and the arbiter will be meeting up soon... ;)
        I loved the story of halo 1 and so far the story of halo 2 hasnt failed to impress me. The developing of the covenant as a race is really excellent, in halo 1 they were just kind of 'the baddies' but now you learn alot more about them you almost feel sympatheic towards the elites and how theyre being taken over by the brutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Worst game ending ever!!!!

Praetorian wrote:
        Worst game ending ever!!!!

Never finished Quake 2 or Half Life 1 then?

at least they had an ending and not 'to be continued'. Its like 24 but even more annoying because with 24 you know the nest episode is out on next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Are the Marathon games meant to be set in a time before or after the Halo games?

Bungie say they are unconnected but there are obvious influences of marathon in Halo. The enemies are very similar especially the grunts, elites, hunters and the new flying guys from Halo 2. Also the background to the aliens is also very similar with the bad guys taking over other races and fielding them in their armies. Weapons as well. Lots of them have almost identical uses and the rocket launcher has the same writing on the side. Make of it what you will.

Advertisement