Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MD or MP3 :confused:

• 30-06-2000 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Soon i will have £225 and should i spend it on a portable Minidisc or a MP3 player. Another question, Where can You buy memory for MP3 players.
    I Need help confused.gif

Comments

I got a minidisk and i have never looked back.Not only can you record mp3s to it but you can record straight from TV radio even voice.Each minidsk has 74mins were as you mp3 you have to expand memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I heard that there's MP3 players on the way some time soon with their own built in micro sized (physically) hard drives, upwards of 2GB... I'd go for that, personally...

Bard

home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

Yeh, In japan they have MP3CD's which are quite good but they have been there for 1 and a half years and you can't get them here?

After searching the web i came across a european company selling MP3CD-player.look at it now
    http://www.maxtek.de/prod2_e.htm

smile.gif

Amazing_person@hotmail.com

Thanks for the help smile.gifsmile.gif

• Advertisement

ah, to hell with MP3 CD players... they'll skip like regular discmans do, but worse- CD-ROMS (and CD-R's especially) are even more sensitive.

I'll have the hard drive enabled version, thanks.

Bard

home page

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd go with an MD player/Recoder right now as MP3 players just don't have the versatility and feature that an MD one does (yet).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

by the time I've enough money to waste on buying one, they will have... wink.gif

Bard

home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That's rubbish Dav.

I've got a Rio 500 & it rocks. Buy online, not off Petes Electronic Robbery Ltd.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Yes, I have a diamond rio and I have it racked up with 96megs of ram. 14 Hours on a single AA battery. Fast transfer from your PC too, non of this recording in real time lark from MD.
    Smaller, lighter, cheaper, dunno what people see in MD's for MP3 purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can you plug your MP3 Player into a PA and record directly? No. Do they record voice? Not all of 'em. That's what I meant above...

Untill MP3 players can do those things, I won't be getting one.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

So- anyone got anywhere in Dublin that they'd reccommend for buying a DECENT MP3 player? - that being one that you can whack nearly 100MB of RAM into or one with a HDD?

Bard

home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I wouldnt say that you'll see solid state mp3 players with that kind of capacity over here, at least not for a little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What kind of connection(s) to your computer do the MP3 players use to transfer data? And how fast is it/them ?

- Munch
    - My OLD pc has no usb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

mp3 players recording directly? dont think so.. surely they'd need to store it as something large first and then convert it to an mp3 format?
    could see them infringing on quite a number of compression algortihms as well (a la blade-enc)..
    if anyone can point me in the direction of such a player that can do this .. please do, wouldnt mind reading up on it.

http://www.filmsoc.com

well programs such as Music Match Jukebox record directly to mp3 from CD's, so no reason why this technology cant be built into onboard chips or whatever...

on another note, - as regards high capacity hard drives getting winchy small- small enough to be whacked into a portable mp3 player, I hear tell of a >2GB hard drive thats being advertised as "smaller than a hamster"... strange analogy, but fairly small all the same... (well, if our rapidly deteriorating gerbil is anything to go by...)

Bard

home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

MusicMatch simply gives the impression to the user that it's recording directly to mp3. It compresses the tracks which are saved as temp files one by one to mp3.

Now, get yer asses over to the technology board with this shít.

Lucutus of Borg

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 06-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

munch the rio i got ages ago used parallel port connections but **** slo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Most mp3 players use a USB port which gives
    about 1.3Mb/sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 minion

Recording to mp3 is an impossibility as it is a compressing format not a recording one. If it's recording you want then md is obviously the better choice. Otherwise mp3 is in my opinion the better option. No skipping, no need to buy new disks every so often etc. etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement