Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record number of students in a house

• 22-11-2004 2:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

In second year in college there was 17 of us living in the same house. Admittedly it was a five bedroom house and wasn't that uncomfortable but we were all getting fleeced at E80 a week! Landlord was a total cowboy.
    Can anyone beat this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

17!! you are joking!! that's absolutely terrible! I was in a house with 9.. never again! tiny kitchen.. 2tiny bathrooms.. and 7 bedrooms.. was in city centre (Cork)€70pw so put up with it cos of location.. but wasn't worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

cashback wrote:
    In second year in college there was 17 of us living in the same house. Admittedly it was a five bedroom house and wasn't that uncomfortable but we were all getting fleeced at E80 a week! Landlord was a total cowboy.
    Can anyone beat this?

Good God, report the bastard, think of your fellow man, think of the lost revenue, think of the.........or maybe kill the fcuker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The most I've ever shared with is 13\14 but the house was small so it was very cramped. There were 4 bedrooms (one of them converted from a living room). With an average of 3 in each room + 2 in the sitting room. And we only had one toilet. But the rent was really cheap as there was only supposed to be 5 in the house and we split it between everyone. I think we only paid around £20 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A girl I used to work with lived with 28 other J1 students in Cape Cod. The council had half of them evicted on public health grounds.

Most I've shared with was about 12, but it was a big old Georgian House, 3 bathrooms, kitchen + breakfast room (with toaster + microwave etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

mm#

can' t really remember all those details of my studenty days..I do remember a bunch of us staying/crashing in a house in clonskeagh- maybe up to 12/14 at one point. We also had a motorbike which we were fixing in the living-room, we weren't very popular with the neighbours..
    /me goes off to remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

This was in clonskeagh too. probably the same fat b*stard. one weekend, he wandered into the house at about 02.30am, jarred, and started complaining to two of the lads about the condensation on the windows, or something :confused: . the next night we told him to come over to the house cos we wanted to talk to him. about 15 of us surrounded him in the kitchen which he might have found a bit intimidating I suppose. we told him we weren't happy with him wandering in to the house in the early hours of the morning without even knocking. complained about a few other things but he didn't like this and started giving out. "I don't have to listen to this sh*te" etc. and he stormed out.
    and come to think of it, the house wasn't 5 bedroom, one was a converted dining room. people started moving out after xmas thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

The most students ever in a house where I lived was 8, with maybe one or 2 people staying over. NO bad experiences though, we were lucky with a 6 bedroom house with big kitchen, dining and living rooms and 2 bathrooms. We were paying £40 each at the time, not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cork_girl wrote:
    17!! you are joking!! that's absolutely terrible! I was in a house with 9.. never again! tiny kitchen.. 2tiny bathrooms.. and 7 bedrooms.. was in city centre (Cork)€70pw so put up with it cos of location.. but wasn't worth it!!!
    Your landlord wasn't called Arthur by any chance was he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

no but I know exactly who u are talkin about!! he owned so many houses on college rd and donovan's rd. such a prick!!! yikes he is so well know how does he get away with it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No idea how he gets away with it but I gather the tax people aren't aware of his property interests either if you get my drift.

Sister was living in one of his houses for a year (opposite the Pres). House had rats. Exterminator was called (eventually). When the exterminator was asked by the girls if there were rats he said that the landlord had told him specifically not to mention the word "rats". Then he concreted over the floor again, hoping that'd keep them down. My favourite was when he turned off the water in the house over the Christmas holidays as he didn't want the pipes to burst. Was rather surprised when he found my little waif of a sister had managed to find the stopcock and turn the thing back on. My cousin was also living in one of his other houses, when they asked him about a hoover he told them to go to one of his other houses and borrow one.

He's well-known as he owns so much sub-standard property - everyone in UCC seems to know someone who's had the Arthur experience (mods, note that I'm leaving his surname out for the obvious legalities). I know one sister, one cousin and one girlfriend (current, oddly enough stayed in the same room as my sister a few years before her) who've managed to stay in one of his houses. I've never lived in Cork but should I ever move and rent and want to live with a crowd of students, I'll know to stay away.

Slightly on topic, a mate of mine stayed in a house in College Court in Limerick and there were five people in the house. House was sold and seeing as it was a reasonable house, we decided we'd rent it ourselves the following year. Number of people the next guy decided to put in? Eleven. We decided to set up camp elsewhere for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had a nice landlady in Carlow. Anything broke was fixed by her (unless one of the lads kicked a hole in the door, covered it with a poster for the year, or someone threw the mirror out the window, or maybe when "bitch" was inscribed onto a door...)

First house; 3 doubles, 3 singles. 9 people. Great craic. Good kitchen as well.

Second house; 8 singles, 8 people. It was a small 4 bedroom house, with a big extension.

Advertisement