Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers in pubs and clubs

Options
  • 22-11-2004 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my boyfriend went out to a well know Dublin pub on Saturday night to celebrate a friends birthday. We headed downstairs to an 80's theme nightclub in the pub. We where all having a good time, dancing and the like. Me and the boyfriend weren't drinking as we had had a heavy night the night before. One thing naturally progressed to another and we left the dance flour to make out at our table, while the rest of our friends danced. Our table was right at the main door into the place, and the door man had been steering at us all night long, holding hands, sitting close to one another. I guess the kissing was to much for him, but for what ever reason he threw the remains of a bottles of bear over us as we sat, and then dashed out the door and hide. (people where leaving bottles with them as they went to smoke).

This really upset me on allot of levels. For the rest of the night I couldn't stop sizing up people, determining if they where a threat, what I would do if any of them started something. Its not thinking about kicking the **** out of people. All enjoyment was gone, and I started to feel increasingly nervous and paranoid, to the point that if I stayed there much longer something would have kicked off. We didn't tell our friends was happened with the bouncer guys, but they knew something was up( kept commenting on how serious I looked) and left. I didn't see the bouncer guy one the way out, I don't really know what I would of done had I.

Things is I'm generally innocent in the way of these things, this was the first time I've had this type of response. Usually its the odd look or whatever, but this is different. I want to know what I should do if something like this ever happens again. How other handle it. I still feel sickened by the whole thing, but more so for bringing out an angry/dangerous side of myself and I've tried to control.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Bouncers are the scum of the earth. Everytime one gives me a hard time i take solice from the fact that they're the dregs of socieity and will probably never better themselves beyond their primitive apelike selves...........no offence to any bouncers who post on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Now now, a lot of bouncers are students who work part-time etc., so they may just better themselves :)

Bouncers are the scum of the earth. Everytime one gives me a hard time i take solice from the fact that they're the dregs of socieity and will probably never better themselves beyond their primitive apelike selves...........no offence to any bouncers who post on boards.

Yes and all gay men are annoying, vain, effeminate and regularly **** each other?
    The worse thing anyone can do is mass generalise. I have very good friends that are bouncers, and I think the best bouncers are in the Village. They're the friendliest out of the lot. Michael_Dublin had a bad experience, but you know,you can't paint a group with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Talking of painting bouncers with the same brush, and the bad experience of the first post.

I remember being very overtly affectionate etc with my guy in a sraight night club in the midlands. As the music happened to be "significant" to us we you know ended up gettign as physical as you get I guess in a public place, but notcing the bouncer near by was now 2 guys, and then more... and we were being observed very closely. We started to prepare ourselves for some hassle, or being asked to leave etc. but that wasn't the case.

We eventually worked out the bouncers were gathering to actually protect us if there were and problems.

Noticed the same thing happen in a nightclub in Kilkenny.

The bouncer inthe first post sounds truly pathetic, but I also can appreciate how it would be unsettling, especially when what action can you take. Even if some one else caused you hassle, how good an idea would it be to go to a bouncer for help in that place?
    I've never ever had a bad experience with bouncers, often the opposite, e.g. letting in friends under the age limit if the were "kept an eye on" etc. I would not know what to suggest. Myself it might cross my mind to mention it to the management in the daytime.

Basically though sounds like if you were getting off with a pretty girl, his moronic response to emotions might easily meant he'd do same out of jealousy .

In fact maybe thats what happened this time. Just maybe realise soome one like that is almost beneath your contempt, and feel good about yourself that you were able to be expressive to your bf in that situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

This bouncer assaulted you. You should still complain to the management but it would have been more effective to do that on the night. You and some friends should have asked to see a manager and forced this issue to be dealt with. Gaurentee you they don't want a law suit developing nor a guy working for them who is clearly a liability.
    He ran away, he was scared but now he got away with his assault on you.This should have been handled there and then. NO ONE SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE THIS!Complain!Never be afraid!
    This man clearly has big problems with his own attitudes, probably not dealing with his own attraction to men.

Not fair to say bouncers all are scum. Most guys I know who bounce are very good guys, and NEVER think the are thick. There is a lovely guy on Langtons in Kilkenny who has a masters in Experimental Physics.(Unfortunately he is straight!) and if you search the forums you will also find Lump from Kilkenny.

Messiah's expirience is not untypical. Without these guys willingness to put their bodies between you and the guy who is willing to batter you to death could anyone go out?
    The bouncers on the George were featured on the cover of GCN because they are so good at what they do.
    Leaving aside the fact that I find most of these guys attractive(Big burly macho weight training shaved headed hunks you know where to find me!) you should not generalise about any group. (Xcept drag queens!pace Frankenfurter!)

Stand up for yourself or this type of thing will happen again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

boomdogman wrote:
    This man clearly has big problems with his own attitudes, probably not dealing with his own attraction to men.

Ah yes, he hates you cos he's gay. Pfffft. Too often used. You know sometimes people hate you cos they're assholes. I mean, do black people observe a klansman and say "He's angry cos he's secretly black" ? I'm sure it boosts the aul ego and you think "He's not as well adjusted as me YAY". Not always the case.
    The bouncers on the George were featured on the cover of GCN because they are so good at what they do.

They featured in the Independent too recently. For beating up a client and poking his eye with their fingers. Super people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

Yes true damian but I've never had hassle from an asshole but was nearly killed by a f**ked up musical soldier.
    Yes the george bouncers were in trouble BUT not the guys on GCN! And point taken but you should still not generalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

boomdogman wrote:
    but you should still not generalise.

You follow your own advice ? :D

Where did I generalise by the way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

The bouncers in the G are good at their job I suppose - jus get p***ed when they don't let me in. FLounge bouncers don't have a clue what they're doing but that's good for me and Yello and Gubu are okish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Appart from the rare occasion that I've been hammered drunk, I've never had a problem with bouncers, in gay or straight venue's... and I'm far from discrete *grin*

If however I was in your position I would have made a formal complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

WexCan wrote:
    The bouncers in the G are good at their job I suppose - jus get p***ed when they don't let me in. FLounge bouncers don't have a clue what they're doing but that's good for me and Yello and Gubu are okish.
    Bouncers in Yelo are sound (not that I go there very often given that it's become an old man bar)
    Bouncers in FL are total tossers. There is this new guy who is on a total power trip...think hes foreign of some description(not being racist jus can't think of another way to describe him)
    Never had a problem with the bouncers on the George but hey I think they know me by now given that I go there at least 2 nights a week these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Bouncers in Yelo are sound (not that I go there very often given that it's become an old man bar)

Do you mean as in Jurassic Park??? Just that the last time i was in Yello was gay pride day and it was full of young people... has it changed since then.??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

gazzer wrote:
    Do you mean as in Jurassic Park??? Just that the last time i was in Yello was gay pride day and it was full of young people... has it changed since then.??
    No I mean Yelo...I was in there on Fri night & my grandad wouldn't have looked outta place.
    Last time you were in Yello was gay pride...well that was a special day & all the gay bars were packed with young & old....think I was in Yello 4 a few mins that day 2. (downstairs was open AFAIR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tigerwex

i am a door man thats what we prefer to be called now not bouncer. i think what happened here is a pure and simple case of 1. assualt 2. disscriminsation and 3. just a poorly trained and thick doorman. i think you should have asked to speak with the head doorman and i mean speak to him not shout or curse explain to him what happend and ask him to make the managment aware of what happend and ask for some contact details for the manager and then speak to him or her i think you will find that these days most PROFESSIONAL door staff will look apon a complaint like this in a sieruos manner and you never know you may even get an apoligy and with any luck get that gob**** the sack wich is what he deserves

Advertisement