Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

computer society?

• 22-11-2004 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

is there any sort of computer society/game society in the tallaght that plays games...
    e.g. counter strike or quake3 or something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There is, but they don't know their arses from their elbows.

It'd be good because theres a few decent Quake and CS players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

set one up :), tis handy to do, if you've the time and your in 1st/2nd year, do two grants a year to get money to run it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Theres one already set up. Next gaming night is Dec 5th (i think, will confirm)
    It looks like its going to be a fiver for the whole night. Cant remember where exactly it is, will let you know :o

Okay, name of the place is Chillout, its along the south quays near the haypenny bridge. Date is Dec 3rd, Cost is €5

Whats the deal with the closed registration on your forums anyway. It seems to be a society for the commitee, and stop stealing SA smileys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

that doesnt sound great, a gaming night???
    We run CompSoc ( computer society but all we do is play games ) every monday and wednesday night from 5-10pm in the college.
    Im asking ye about your GameSoc/CompSoc in the chance that we might be able to get a multiplayer college V college thing...

Forums are for soc members only, but were enabling guest posting.

The gaming night coming up is the first one this year, we've been a bit slow in orgainising them since our last venue (DNC) closed down. Unfortunatley theres nowhere in the college to play, so we have to rely on external venues

Be more than happy to organise an inter college dealie, something we've been considering ourselves but we wanted to get a few games nights going beforehand.

I'll PM my email addy if you want to set something up

well, as i said, we play twice a week in the college in a free lab.
    an inter college thing would be easier to setup. in fact the only hard thing about it would be talking to computing services to get them to allow our gaming traffic through the firewall.
    DCU also said they might be interested in a gaming night.

Happy days. We'll see if we can get a few colleges interested in it, maybe setup a league of some sort

How about Quake 3 CTF!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jaysonia

woot i finally got my account working again. :P im the man about gaming nights in the soc in it-t. :D

eh?

im the one who organizes all the gaming nights and all.

it doesnt bother me what game is played intersocs wise
    quake3 i would prefer, if the game is CS, i wont be playing on the team though, i hate CS :D
    but i will still organise something to try to get more interest in the society and to have a bit of craic.

just to add, i am the one in Carlow IT compsoc that organises whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

Another IT Tallaght NetSoc man signing in ;) Inter College Gaming sounds damn good to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cr

Big P wrote:
    Another IT Tallaght NetSoc man signing in ;) Inter College Gaming sounds damn good to me :)
    yep but where!
    we coud go down to carlow, drive by and get degrees one weekend, ( andslip in some c/s woop-ass) in the middle! or we could bring them up to dublin and show them how to play c/s!

we coud go down to carlow, drive by and get degrees one weekend
    not nice. and no we cant show them how to play cs pretty much all of us suck. quake 3 would be fun havent played that in donkeys years. maybe crack out some old duke nukem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

ITT Netsoc Member here.

Inter-college gaming sounds very interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

you guys from carlow could come up from the sticks and give us a challenge..
    Make a weekend out of it..
    not nice. and no we cant show them how to play cs pretty much all of us suck.

True

• Advertisement

yeah we all suck. Not enough practice is the reason, and truthfully its jason's fault anymore for taking so long for our big night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Hey everyone, ITT NetSoc Chair here.
    Big P wrote:
    yeah we all suck. Not enough practice is the reason, and truthfully its jason's fault anymore for taking so long for our big night!

Yeah thats it shift the blame slowly but surely. Muhahaha.

Anywho, I really like the idea of the inter gaming thingy-ma-jig, Jaysonia is the man to talk to it about. We should deffo do it after Xmas, we can use it as a nice relaxer for after the exams.

Me, Gideon and Vincent from boards are in Tallaght, get another 2 players for CS or Q3CTF and I guarentee we'd win.

CS im half decent at that. :D

anyone with cs/quak and a connection, should just join a common server before then for a laugh???? eh eh?

i usually play on the cs server #motiongaming.co.uk | The Phoenix
    213.230.200.75:27015 :D
    actually im gonna head on now

one of you in the society should get on to Tim, tell him what you need, and he'll help ya out. Very helpful when I was doing the Karting *biggest club in college for 2 years!*

For matches are you gonna try use the college connection ( i can see a world of pain right there, but might get it due the whole 'intervarsity' aspect) or meet up in a common place?

If you actually managed to get them to budge on using their connection, it would be better, simple because it would cost us less, and could happen a lot more often. Another thing ya need to think about is, if you do get it, would you have to use the college pc's which probally not up to it except some of the engineering ones, but ideally, would everyone have their own pc that they would bring into the college? When would you have it, after hours, prob best.

Anyhew just food for thought, carry on! :D

Intervarsities attract money more than anything. They'll throw it at you. Depends on numbers, but I could get something special worked out, if we get say, over 50 !!!

good server, it liked me anyway, love that feeling when you hitting where your aiming.

• Advertisement

I could see it being very difficult for our college to open up the necessary ports for us to play games because

a) games are banned [dunno if you found that out the hard way last year like some people lol]
    b) They're so damn slow. Even NetSoc had trouble getting SSH.

A BYOC in Maelruins hall :>

Big P wrote:
    I could see it being very difficult for our college to open up the necessary ports for us to play games because

a) games are banned [dunno if you found that out the hard way last year like some people lol]
    b) They're so damn slow. Even NetSoc had trouble getting SSH.

never caught ME! :D

me and Giblet and Vinit were the ones who's cs turned all T1000 like, ya'll know what i mean if you saw it, freaky old machines. haha.

sorry lads didnt read all of the above,
    still trying to get a team together, ive mentioned it to a few people and everyone is giving the thumbs up,
    as for ye travelling down or us travelling up, i dont think thats gonna happen, we're smelly lazy nerds :D
    it would be more like using our college connection to connect to your college and play that way

Gideon wrote:
    never caught ME! :D

me and Giblet and Vinit were the ones who's cs turned all T1000 like, ya'll know what i mean if you saw it, freaky old machines. haha.
    hahah :) Me either. They took peoples student cards. Pretty much all there was. Your fault if you sit in front of the door though isnt it?

stevenk wrote:
    sorry lads didnt read all of the above,
    still trying to get a team together, ive mentioned it to a few people and everyone is giving the thumbs up,
    as for ye travelling down or us travelling up, i dont think thats gonna happen, we're smelly lazy nerds :D
    it would be more like using our college connection to connect to your college and play that way

like it was already said, this is gonna cause a problem probally, due the college being tighter, than a devote relgious nun with high moral standards and old fashioned faith, not to mention an ironclad chasity belt with a broken lock, who ehhhh is damn ugly. :S ps she probally also has the aids, from eh sharing needles. :confused:

[edit] i meant college pretty tight about comp use, we don't even have messenger ffs [/edit]

I'd have no problem bringing my own pc to the college to play if ya's got the go ahead, couldn't be that hard to do for them. Just keep saying intervarsity.

• Advertisement

i found messenger on a couple of comps this year and skype on some. i was like wtf?? giblet i tried suggest that BYOC before and no-one was really up for it cause a few people have brutal machines.

lol. But it's easy enough to install programs on PCs in college anyway. They're really well locked down by the techies, but we always a few ways around things. I mean, we wouldnt be computing students if we didnt!
    jaysonia wrote:
    i found messenger on a couple of comps this year and skype on some. i was like wtf?? giblet i tried suggest that BYOC before and no-one was really up for it cause a few people have brutal machines.
    Yeah, that and its in tallaght jason. I'm not bringing my PC in on the old 75 bus! Piece of crap. I could bring my lappy tho....

Advertisement