Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer society?

• 22-11-2004 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

is there any sort of computer society/game society in the ucd that plays games...
    e.g. counter strike or quake3 or something like that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

stevenk wrote:
    is there any sort of computer society/game society in the ucd that plays games...
    e.g. counter strike or quake3 or something like that.
    well It sounds like a great idear, in ucd there is netsoc which seems to be full of linux heads:rolleyes: (not that thats bad or anything) and then there is game soc , which seem to be a harmless crowd of buffy the vampire style people who sit around and play D&D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Superman has it right, NetSoc or GameSoc are the ones. They had a LAN party last friday in Dun Laoghaire. The main problem is that they couldn't play games on the PCs in college. Since they are societies, then the UCD 'man' knows who runs them and can tell them to fuck off if they tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

we play games every monday/wednesday night from 5-10pm.
    we (disguise) call the society compsoc and use the room to play games. once we are kept quiet, dont cause any trouble or break anything we get on grand.
    we mostly play games, but for we also help people out with computer ****.
    like last week i had to show a guy what gfx card was best for his money and where to buy it, this week i am getting a dead machine of CSD and showing him how to install it

come guys.... dont let this die off....
    play games, they are fun, nice way for nerds to make new friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's be cool to have a dedicated computer and video games society, with (as examples)
    Console gaming tournaments. Games like Super Smash Bros Melee, Pro Evo, Tekken, Mario Kart, Halo...
    Casual console-type nights. Set up a room with a few TVs, a GC, PS2, Xbox and let people bring their own games down. Preferably multiplayer again, and stuff with system linkup would work.
    LAN nights. Stuff like Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Command and Conquer(pick your version), Battlefield (I doubt the ability of any computers here in UCD to run it, though an internet cafe could be booked)
    Old games. The Netsoc Tetris competition was great (and I'm not just saying that because I came 3rd), so obviously the interest is there.
    Computer Services would hate it though.

• Advertisement

stevenk wrote:
    come guys.... dont let this die off....
    play games, they are fun, nice way for nerds to make new friends!

You tell people to come, yet don't tell them where to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭aSS g0BliN

lol,if yee wanna play some games like quake1 and duke nukem 3d go to www.liberatedgames.com yee can download them they are really small so yee can fit them on the gay 50mb ucd gives ya

Syth wrote:
    You tell people to come, yet don't tell them where to go...
    where am i supposed to tell them to go to?
    im not in your college!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cr

It's be cool to have a dedicated computer and video games society, with (as examples)
    Console gaming tournaments. Games like Super Smash Bros Melee, Pro Evo, Tekken, Mario Kart, Halo...
    Casual console-type nights. Set up a room with a few TVs, a GC, PS2, Xbox and let people bring their own games down. Preferably multiplayer again, and stuff with system linkup would work.
    LAN nights. Stuff like Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Command and Conquer(pick your version), Battlefield (I doubt the ability of any computers here in UCD to run it, though an internet cafe could be booked)
    Old games. The Netsoc Tetris competition was great (and I'm not just saying that because I came 3rd), so obviously the interest is there.
    Computer Services would hate it though.
    how ya doing?
    im in the netsoc at it tallaght,so far theres us, it carlow,d.i.t and maynooth who are interested , due to regualations in our college we have to have lan gaming nights off campus, d.i.t hae come to us with an idea of running a big intercollege gaming night at the rds( still just an idea),there are also plent of net cafes around town, and being lan gaming it is not limited to one location!
    we plan to play cs and quake3,
    is there any computer soc or gaming soc at your college that would be interested!
    you can contact someone from our forum http://www.it-netsoc.ie/
    or i.t carlow http://www.netsoc.itcarlow.ie for details!

stevenk wrote:
    where am i supposed to tell them to go to?
    im not in your college!
    Wy are you interested in a UCD gaming society? Intercollege stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

cr wrote:
    how ya doing?
    im in the netsoc at it tallaght,so far theres us, it carlow,d.i.t and maynooth who are interested , due to regualations in our college we have to have lan gaming nights off campus, d.i.t hae come to us with an idea of running a big intercollege gaming night at the rds( still just an idea),there are also plent of net cafes around town, and being lan gaming it is not limited to one location!
    we plan to play cs and quake3,
    is there any computer soc or gaming soc at your college that would be interested!
    you can contact someone from our forum http://www.it-netsoc.ie/
    or i.t carlow http://www.netsoc.itcarlow.ie for details!
    Sounds good. The thing is in UCD, Netsoc tends to be more of a service provider and GameSoc tend to be based more around board games and pen-and-paper RPGs. We kinda need a computer games society to fill that gap. Now I'm more of a console girl myself, but there's plenty of people playing stuff like CS/Q3/UT, and if DCU can have its own CS team I don't see why UCD, the biggest college in Ireland, shouldn't have one.

Someone wants to resurect the computer society, so there might be hope yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Netsoc tends to be more of a service provider

Yeah they take themselves pretty seriously!

I dunno about a big nightr at the RDS it seems a bit too ambitious, because they rarely fill the place during exams and that's alot of people, easily over 1000 at any one time, but don't let me stop ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cathcart

I'm the Auditor of UCD Netsoc, We're all for organising gameing nights like the last one we did. There just isn't enough interest withing Netsoc itself to organise them, if you're interested in helping get things togeather give us an e-mail netsoc@netsoc.ucd.ie.

Advertisement