Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection dilemma

Options
  • 22-11-2004 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have just purchased a Philips 32PW9618 (4 scarts, 2 RGB). In my set up I have a Philips DVDR 880, a Pace Digibox, a Thompson DTI 1000 Freeview Box, and an Hitachi F460E VCR. Can anyone suggest the best way of connecting the above to get the best out of my set up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I see the problem alright. Easy enough to connect everything to the TV with Scart, but what if you want to choose to record one source onto either DVD or VCR? The only way to be able to switch between sources to be recorded and to decide to which recording device they will be routed to is to use, funnily enough, a switcher! Something like this should do the trick for you. I used the older version of this, so not 100% sure if this has exactly the same specs, but the older version allowed you to pick one of the five scart sources and route to either of the 2 record output scarts. So for example you could route the freeview box via scart to either VCR or DVD for recording, and at the same time be watching Sky on your TV.

It was able to route in composite, S-video and RGB, and pictures were excellent on it. The only issue I had with it is that it didn't support automatic widescreen control when you were watching Sky, used on scart pin 8. In other words, if a widescreen broadcast came on, the TV would automatically adjust it's picture ratio to match. I know for certain that this new model does not support it either, which is a pain. The benefits to you in this situation might just make this problem easy to live with though.

I don't know of anywhere in Ireland that stocks this, maybe try Peats, Harvey Norman or Alliance Electric on Georges Street.

Hope this helps!

Robbie

Advertisement