Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Heroes supergroup....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Mixie wrote:
    What's the server population like at 'normal' times here? Pinnacle is sometimes dead, especially for lowbies such as myself. Might consider moving server before I'm too invested in a char on Pinnacle if Guardian is a better option?
    Well, Guardian was originally supposed to be the unofficial Euro server, but I've not seen t(s)oo much evidence of that. I play at both normal hours (I guess you mean after-work hours?) and antisocial hours, and there's always someone on to play with. I'm not working right now, so I've found I've adopted to US times a little bit too well, as most of my friends are in the US!
    On the issue of having a lowbie char, my friends and I frequently bring lower alts on, and just get sidekicked for missions. It's still fun, and a great way to gain xp without powerlevelling (cos you're actually helping), as the kill turnover is much greater for higher level characters compared to lower levels.
    I love Guardian, I've met loads of great people on there, and there are always lots of people on, but I'm sure everyone thinks their server is the best anyhow!
    When issue 3 comes out there will be a lot more lower-level char activity on every server; I know I for one will be starting all over again; most of my supergroup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Posted at 2:37 am - 'antisocial' hehe :D

Yeah that's exactly the kinda thing I meant, but the unfortunate thing is that regular groups will tend to leave me behind do to RL commitments - I know this isn't a problem with the sidekicking thing, but still.

Since we're on that, sidekicking - best thing ever? That's what I hated about DAoC, if you fell behind you couldn't really group with friends till you caught up. Do most MMORPGS have a 'sidekick' system?

Mixie wrote:
    Posted at 2:37 am - 'antisocial' hehe :D

Yeah that's exactly the kinda thing I meant, but the unfortunate thing is that regular groups will tend to leave me behind do to RL commitments - I know this isn't a problem with the sidekicking thing, but still.
    .... Do most MMORPGS have a 'sidekick' system?
    Well, CoH is my first MMO - most MMOs have a fantasy (i.e. wizardy) bent which leaves me totally cold, but superheroes and comics I like, so I can't really comment on SK'ing in other games. The only problem with SK'ing is that if you're a lvl 8 SK'd to a lvl 36, say, you have many less powers available to you, even though your current lvl is comparable when SK'd - you're 1 lvl less when SK'd, so in this situation you'd be playing as a 35. It doesn't bother me or anyone I play with if the person who's getting SK'd is nice, and able to play.
    Also, there is reverse SKing for people who've outlevelled trials or task forces and want to do them - I don't know if that happens in MMO's, but it's a very cool reversal of roles i.e. the higher chars having to suck up to lowbies and get on a team! Plus they lose the uber-powers they got after they RSK down to that lvl.
    I find CoH really friendly and nice - my only other experience with MMOs was a 2 week trial of EQ which came on the front of a magazine, and I *hated* it. It was so unfriendly, and *such* a pain in the ass to lvl or feel useful at all - all that bat-hacking wrecked my head. In CoH you feel useful out of the box.
    Also, off-topic, but something to note with CoH, is, in my experience, about a quarter (maybe more) of the playerbase is female, which makes for a much more pleasant enviroment, just as a working enviroment comprised of both genders is much more pleasant than one totally dominated by one sex. My SG of about like 12 people has 4 women in, me being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

quaalude wrote:
    The only problem with SK'ing is that if you're a lvl 8 SK'd to a lvl 36, say, you have many less powers available to you, even though your current lvl is comparable when SK'd

Also if you are over 10 levels in difference (maybe 15, can't remember) the XP gain will be really bad. Its to stop powerlevelling.
    Also, there is reverse SKing for people who've outlevelled trials or task forces and want to do them - I don't know if that happens in MMO's, but it's a very cool reversal of roles i.e. the higher chars having to suck up to lowbies and get on a team! Plus they lose the uber-powers they got after they RSK down to that lvl.

Where this is really good is debt. Level 16 character died 4 times in a row. I cleared all that debt in 20 minutes Exmp'ing with a level 2 character.
    I find CoH really friendly and nice

In general. I've seen intentional asses, although they are few and far between. Most of the idiots are generally clueless when they team up people and end up getting whole teams slaughtered over and over. Its sad to watch as nearly your whole team is ripped to shreads twice because the level 12 guy you are with thought it would be good to stick one level 18 on the team. Then watch as people leave in disgust and they invite more totally oblivious to the death they are about to have on them.
    Also, off-topic, but something to note with CoH, is, in my experience, about a quarter (maybe more) of the playerbase is female, which makes for a much more pleasant enviroment,

Where did you get that figure from? If you ask me there are more raging hormone teens in the game.

One character of mine "Alyx" (I call her the 'Money Wench') has made close to 2 million influence by the time she hit level 14. Generally I Would have to say something like "Anyone got 1k I can borrow", but I swear people were just coming up and handing out money to me. Shes not even dressed in the usual Xena/elastic band bikini that so many are in.

The male characters I have pretty much had to scrimp and save to get their stuff. Likewise with my lizard character (until I gave her a second costume of a girl).

just as a working enviroment comprised of both genders is much more pleasant than one totally dominated by one sex. My SG of about like 12 people has 4 women in, me being one of them.[/QUOTE]

Hobbes wrote:
    Also if you are over 10 levels in difference (maybe 15, can't remember) the XP gain will be really bad. Its to stop powerlevelling.
    I think what you are talking about there, Hobbes, is if you are *unsidekicked* to a person over 7 lvls higher you'll get rubbish xp - to stop PLing. Optimum xp gain is a 7 lvl gap, so if you are, say, lvl 20, and playing with a lvl 27 unsk'd, the minions will con purple to you, and you'll have a hard time hitting them, but you'll get excellent xp. This works well for, say, a defender being the lower char - they can help with buffs and debuffs, regardless of lvl. f the same lvl 20 is playing with a 28 unsk'd they will get rubbish xp.
    *But* a same lvl 10, sk'd to the 28 will get good xp simply because the kill rate of a 28 is faster.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Where this is really good is debt. Level 16 character died 4 times in a row. I cleared all that debt in 20 minutes Exmp'ing with a level 2 character.
    Agreed. RSK rules for clearing debt.
    Hobbes wrote:
    In general. I've seen intentional asses, although they are few and far between. Most of the idiots are generally clueless when they team up people and end up getting whole teams slaughtered over and over. Its sad to watch as nearly your whole team is ripped to shreads twice because the level 12 guy you are with thought it would be good to stick one level 18 on the team. Then watch as people leave in disgust and they invite more totally oblivious to the death they are about to have on them.
    Well, yeah. Pickup teams can suck. As you get higher in lvl the proportion of nice, smart people grows.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Where did you get that figure from? If you ask me there are more raging hormone teens in the game.

One character of mine "Alyx" (I call her the 'Money Wench') has made close to 2 million influence by the time she hit level 14. Generally I Would have to say something like "Anyone got 1k I can borrow", but I swear people were just coming up and handing out money to me. Shes not even dressed in the usual Xena/elastic band bikini that so many are in.

The male characters I have pretty much had to scrimp and save to get their stuff. Likewise with my lizard character (until I gave her a second costume of a girl).
    I said in my original post *in my experience* about the female players. I have both male and female characters. and I've never been treated differently by anyone. Then again, I've never stood around shouting for free influence.

What server are you on Hobbes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

quaalude wrote:
    I think what you are talking about there, Hobbes, is if you are *unsidekicked* to a person over 7 lvls higher you'll get rubbish xp

No there is also an upper limit while sidekicked. Its basically to stop level 1's SK'ing with level 50's.
    I've never stood around shouting for free influence.

You don't shout. I was something like 50 influence short of an enhancement one time and asked if anyone had it. Someone handed me 100k. But again it really depends on the character.
    What server are you on Hobbes?

Pinnicle.

Advertisement