Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have the beautiful south done to all those great songs !!!

Options
  • 22-11-2004 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Having heard some of the songs from the Beautiful Souths new album I have to say BOOO!!!! what a joke. I have lost almost all faith in them. I have heard some bad cover versions in my time but to put twelve of them on one album and actually expect people to pay money for them is a bit muck.

The Beautiful South were a great band in the early 1990s putting out some great music, what has gone wrong with them. and the worst part is, the song they're playing on the radio lately is not the worst song on the album. wait until you hear their cover of the grease song "your the one that I want"

It is enough to make your stomach turn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

wait until you hear their cover of the grease song "your the one that I want"

It is enough to make your stomach turn.

hardly a great song to brgin with though.

Haven't heard any of their stuff for years, last album I heard was about 5 years ago and it was pretty bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Anything from "everybody's talkin" was not their best stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

It's a sad state of affairs when bands have to resort to covers.....Beautiful South had some great songs.....

Saying that I like Paul Weller's New album......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Covers albums are almost always crap
    Nick Cave's Kicking against the pricks the only exception I can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Just heard their cover version of S Club's Don't Stop.....what a load of cack!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There's far too much stock placed in "reinvention" style covers in this country, thanks to Ray "Blackboard Jungle" D'Arcy. It's a pretty simple trick, get one of the tryhard ne'er-do-well Irish singersongwriter (on the radio to promote the fact that they're "cracked Poland" or such) to mournfully plod through a Kylie, Beyonce or Six number whilst "sensitvely" strumming their acoustic.

The upshot is that the perpetrator is seen as some form of postmodern pastiche king whilst Ray D'Arcy is lauded as some kind as music genius as opposed to a slimmer Gerry Ryan...

Advertisement