Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(again) Dreading the response for this...

Options
  • 22-11-2004 2:17pm

Hi, I'm still a newbie (only been posting for two weeks) but what I want to know is, if you have a problem with a Mod, who do you say it to? I won't go into details here as its nobodies business aside from me and the Mods, but could a Mod that can take a complaint pm me? I tried to pm the Mod in question but I think he's a night user as the last time he contacted me it was at 01.13 so I've still no reply.

I'm dreading this in case I get bucket-loads of abuse btw.

I also didn't realise ppl can't reply on the help forum. Doh! :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

go to one of the admins: Dev || Cloud || Ecksor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cardog

Ecksor's yer man, decent skin he is and should help you out

THANK YOU very much!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

post it in the Thunderdome, for everyone amusement!!

gwan >_<

Em... what IS the thunderdome? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

bitching and fighting forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Papa Smut wrote:
    Em... what IS the thunderdome? :confused:

Big place down the road, ask your wan with the big hair if you get lost.

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=484

Incidently if DeVore And Ecksor went in there which one would be master and which one blaster?

For some reason that A) I wasn't told about and B) is a pile of p**, I'm banned from posting on thunderdome. Can anyone explain this? I got banned from the security part of computers for asking about a virus. I mean whats with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thunderdome is designed for when a row breaks out in another forum. If a moderator feels that a discussion is turning into a flamewar then the thread is moved to the thunderdome, I think that is what the admins had in mind when creating the forum.

You cannot start a thread in the thunderdome.

anyhow, that would be the wrong place for your query, here or the help forum is find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Always ALWAYS read the charter of a board before posting there. People moan about getting banned when they don't read the charter and post something that is against the rules. "I didn't know it's against the rules"/"I didn't read the charter" is not an excuse. My guess is that's what happened.

in fact, from the Security board charter:
    To make myself clear, if you've got a virus or some spyware or you think your ISP is haxxing you with pings... don't post here. This isn't the place, contact tech support or try another board where it may be closer to the topic.

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote:
    For some reason that A) I wasn't told about and B) is a pile of p**, I'm banned from posting on thunderdome. Can anyone explain this? I got banned from the security part of computers for asking about a virus. I mean whats with that?

enquiries about viruses belong in the computers forum I think, not security. This is stated in the charter and they are extremely strict on that.

don't know about the thunderdome "banning" I seem to be able to start a thread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You were banned from security because you were using it as a technical support forum when that's not what it's there for, it's there for discussion of "security; from new exploits to the privacy implications of particular technologies.". The mod's decision was harsh but apparently that type of posting was once epidemic so they have to be really harsh with people (no arguments cluttering up the forum for one thing). Besides if e-mail viruses confuse you then you're probably not the type who'd be discussing high-level security issues, so being banned from the forum won't affect you, post your topic in "Computers" instead.

Koneco, fair enough, but if you think about it, if you keep getting a virus sent to your computer, with the same name, wouldn't it make sense to put it in security than tech support? And isn't banning someone from the forum with no warning 24 hours after you posted a tad severe? couldn't they move it or at least warn me?

Cool, ok, I admit defeat, but they could make that "security" forum a little easier to understand as in what it's there for. :(

**I'm off to sulk now**

not to worry, the rules were changed because of the amount of "I am having problems with window security patches" threads diluting the forum. Its more of a place to discuss any security issues which come to light than a help forum.

hope this helps.
    cardog wrote:
    Ecksor's yer man, decent skin he is and should help you out

that you nanna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pluffy Bunny

that you nanna?

no, long time reader first time poster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Papa Smut - you can't start threads in the Thunderdome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Papa Smut wrote:
    And isn't banning someone from the forum with no warning 24 hours after you posted a tad severe? couldn't they move it or at least warn me?

No, not really. The charter specifically says "don't do this" and then you do it. It's only fair to expect something to happen in return.

I suppose the good thing that came out of this is you learned to read the charter before posting something, to avoid this happening again.

seamus wrote:
    Papa Smut - you can't start threads in the Thunderdome.

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2107466#post2107466

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Billy just to remind you that you are a mod and so have the ability to create threads in the thunderdome. Normal users do not possess such Godly powers

• Advertisement

Oh right I see , sorry sheamus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Oops, not been on much for the last few days.

It does seem harsh but the day before you posted there were 3 off-topic threads. 1 was locked and 2 were moved to the windows board. Nobody was banned.

You came along, skipped over the "READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU MAY BE BANNED", failed to spot two threads with "Moved:" infront of them and a locked thread all somewhere within the top 5 or 6 posts. Then you hit the "New Thread" button.

I tried to enforce this rule by posting a short note and moving the offending threads but people don't seem to take notice unless I start banning.

Regardless, you've been unbanned and I'll edit the sticky to make things a bit clearer; I don't mind how vaguely security-ish your post is to the security board but tech support requests will get you banned (especially if I find the answer to your question in the first 3 results on google).

Oh right I see , sorry sheamus :)
    yeah YOU SUCK!

Oh wait, wrong board ;)

seamus wrote:
    yeah YOU SUCK!

Oh wait, wrong board ;)

JOO WISH :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Papa Smut wrote:
    And isn't banning someone from the forum with no warning 24 hours after you posted a tad severe? couldn't they move it or at least warn me?
    Moderators are purely voluntary - that means that we don’t have time to spoon-feed posters who can’t be arsed to read the warning labels.

Moderators are purely voluntary - that means that we don’t have time to spoon-feed posters who can’t be arsed to read the warning labels.

ME-OW. Maybe if you read this thread from the start you would have seen I admitted I was at fault so there is/was no need for that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Actually, Papa, it doesn't hurt to remind people every so often so TC ain't being unreasonable with that comment.

Papa Smut wrote:
    ME-OW. Maybe if you read this thread from the start you would have seen I admitted I was at fault so there is/was no need for that comment.
    The point of his comment is that we sometimes have better things to be doing than PMing or warning users when we ban them. As dogs pointed out, you were the last straw guy and got yourself booted for it. **** happens :)

I'd say it was quite the opposite of severe - you got away lightly considering you're unbanned now.

I held up my hands, I admitted I was wrong, I was a victim of my own innocence for not knowing how important it is to read the "before you post sticky's"/ignorance for not reading the sticky,
    But can't we just let it rest?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

equine%20rights.jpg

Advertisement