Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Whelans??? Or am I late

Options
  • 22-11-2004 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I dont know about you, but I was away for a while (a year) and since I have come back I realised things have changed man... and whelans as I knew is dead.

Listen....
    The bar pracitcally remains the same up until 11 and then the night club kicks in.

Regarding the crowd, To some degree on Thurs and definatly Fri, Sat, the characters have changed to a more generic ('sure I like rock') crowd. Plus the crowds have got massive, absolutely jammers, and very uncomfortable.

Regarding the music even in the last few months it has gone down hill and on Fri and Sat extremely predictable. I can literaly guess with a 70% accuracy what song is coming up next. One of the DJ's (fridays I belive) actually just had one CD-R and plays the songs from that.

Its become boring, crampt, and less of fun crowd.

Maybe I'm just becoming old, but I dont know what you kids like anymore.

Bring back the good old days of Phantasim, and where you might hear some slightly left of centre rock tunes, unlike what it is now i.e. new band stuff, 5 strokes songs, the complimentary 30min olde tunes of zepplin, Hendrix, through in a few tunes from Resovoir Dogs, Where is my mind, debaser, Cannonball all in a row and another Strokes and finish off with Jeff B or Damien D.

Any suggestions for a new club anyone, where can I go out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

havn't been to whelans in a while myself. i think your looking at whelans with rose tinted glasses there. it never was perticularly origonal musicly and the crowed where a bunch of music snob ássholes.
    although i also miss phantasum. that was usually a great night... (when Jack H was doing it)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

i agree,i was there on saturday night and it was ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

I'd agree with the last poster about Rose Coloured glasses as in all honesty the play lists were always fairly predictable even back in the halcian days of 1999-2002. Although I agree it does get far to crowded, especially if you are standing near the bar and are getting bumped left, right and centre.

In terms of the crowd rock music has become trendy and fashionable again so more "normal" people are coming to Whelans but in a years time fashion will switch to back to dance music or something like that so not as many normies will be around. Guitar music is also reaching a wider audience, along with the droping of the under 21s law and all the smelly goths who would normally huddle around the central bank are of age and go to whelans aswel.

Its still the best place for music (aswell as The Oak and Doyles) and good a late pint during the week but I havent been there on a weekend in ages, The Village gets it then, its a slightly older crowd and better bitches too :D

If you compare everything you were doing years ago today it'll always seem better as you only remember the good.>>> Thats my Jerry Springer thought for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

Thanks Jerry your thought of the day has opened up my mind!!!

I suppose trends come and go, with my superior age I should remember them.

I'm not sure but isn't the Under 21's thing back legal again. Cause I have seen places with over 21's and over 25's and I thought that was illegal but some mates of mine informed the law was changed again somehow.

My verdict weekday (mon-thurs possibly) Whelans, any other day, back to my house I'll be spinning Thearpy, Soundgarden, Pumpkins and Weezer till 2.30am then I'll get my polite bouncers to kick all the lads out, leaving me with the drunken ladies.

Actually are the lasses in the Village better looking than the permiscuous Whelan's ladies???? Another thread perhaps of note?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

Yeah Whelans was always as predictable as the Jack Charlton long ball but it definitely has gone mega disaster the last year or so which is probably down to music and trend. long live the time when you and your hit posse could go upstairs on a saturday night without having figure four leg lock your way through the crowd and then go dancing to "Just" and more recently "Pounding" which even then was a couple of years ago. Now when Pounding comes on again i get to the dance floor to body pop my ass the songs over...
    Bandit was never invited tho. Dont know why he get turning up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Ste k wrote:
    Actually are the lasses in the Village better looking than the permiscuous Whelan's ladies???? Another thread perhaps of note?

Heh oh thems fighting words! :D Good thing it seems there isn't any of the female whelans regulars using boards :)

I'd second that motion that Doyles is great, our sound lecturer DJs on a thursday night and tis great fun! Even harass him with new music to play between the lot of our class. Ah good times.

At the risk of sounding like a complete cretin, where is "the oak"? I've heard many things about it, good things that is, but never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's on Dame Street up near Parliament Street. Next to Thomas Reid's. It was a good spot when I used to go. Haven't been in a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marwood

the oak is actually part of reeds,one part upstairs each, while you will find good music in the basement of The Oak on friday and Saturday nights.......

As for Whelans someone should tell your man that 'this charming man" is not the only Smiths song,ditto debase,lovecats,town called malice.cannonball etc etc.

A robot would have more imagination.

As for the girls, the village customers are nicer but the whelans staff are cute. esp the babe who does the paintings........ ;)

Now when Pounding comes on again i get to the dance floor to body pop my ass the songs over...
    Bandit was never invited tho. Dont know why he get turning up.

I'm sorry I dont speak retard, what in the name of the monkey priest and all his followers are you babbling about? :D

I'm babbling on about you and your tag along ass :D
    Thursdays gonna rule like a cock.
    In the oak saturday two weeks ago. wasnt very good. first time i was there in ages. can be a good laugh. we need a new nightclub/bar. even just a promotion night somewhere friday or saturday.

• Advertisement

There a party in my pants every night all females welcome...........some males to (when a bears hungry it eats)
    QUOTE]
    Thursday will be the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end, I've got Friday OFF, a new kidney in wait and as much V.D. cream as humanly possible to apply

Amz wrote:
    It's on Dame Street up near Parliament Street. Next to Thomas Reid's. It was a good spot when I used to go. Haven't been in a while though.

Oh think I know the place....

Merci Beaucoup! :)

bandit wrote:
    There a party in my pants every night all females welcome...........some males to (when a bears hungry it eats)
    QUOTE]
    Thursday will be the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end, I've got Friday OFF, a new kidney in wait and as much V.D. cream as humanly possible to apply

You'll need a snow a machine to get that much cream or your Andy Dufrane ass.

I've pre-arranged my prescription with my local GP :o . He said it was better to be proactive. The one you call hamrogue is making a cameo appearance from the mean streets of Brooklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Thursday night is probably the best at the mo for the music that it played.

The one you call hamrogue is making a cameo appearance from the mean streets of Brooklyn.

AKA the ginger ninja.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

I am a regular in Whelans and I every time I go I have a great time.
    The Village, in my opinion, is a poser place. I've been there a few times and there is no astmostphere.

While Whelans is jammers and the music is predictable - its still great.

I say stop moaning, things change and you'd be complaining if you didn't have any alternative clubs to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

i still have a massive fondness for whelan's.. y'know, it's sometimes ****, and the music can get predictable, but it's an institution. and it's great. when else do you get to see sooooooooo many people dancing like they're own their own in their bedrooms (nobody else dances alone in their bedrooms, no? ok. i'll stop..)
    but. y'know. it's.. i dunno. special. rose tinted glasses aside, i know the vast majority of people are gonna smell and spill beer on ya, but still.
    yeah.
    and sometimes predictability is nice. sometimes.
    i'm going in circles.
    ..yeah.

The Village, in my opinion, is a poser place. I've been there a few times and there is no astmostphere.

I say stop moaning, things change and you'd be complaining if you didn't have any alternative clubs to go to.

whelans has become as much of a poser place as the village or anywhere else in town.

"to all you haircut bands touring the lands, thinking you can turn the world upside down, with your guitar hung over your shoulder, a new kind of experience is taking over, cause we're simply the best band in the whole damn land....and texas is the reason"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

butterfly wrote:
    i still have a massive fondness for whelan's..

So do I, and I'm glad that the place isn't dead! By what the original poster
    said, it's more alive than it ever was. Just not in the way he wanted...

I used to live about 10 minutes walk away from Whelans, so I used to go
    there often, but not on a regular basis. I'd go to see gigs and usually stay
    on for the club (depending on who I was with), or go there as part of a pub
    crawl (usually the end part).

It can be amusing to go to a gig there on a Thursday night, and suddenly
    find your post-gig finishing-the-pints conversation interrupted by a load
    of student looking types getting ready to boogie to the same tunes that they
    boogied to last week.

Not so amusing to the band members, still packing up their gear, having
    just played to 20 paying punters, to see the dancefloor fill up as the same
    Pixies song gets played over the PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

just get so drunk you can't remember what songs were played....problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

The music in Whelan's is always horribly predictable, and has been of a Saturday night since I ever started going there enough to remember what they played. I still love it though. Best is when it's just not so disgustingly busy. New tunes would be rather nice though, and it's not much to ask seeing as they are DJs after all....

I'm not overly fond of The Oak, but they do usually play great stuff there, and it's always free. :D

Another place that can be great, despite the lack of a dance floor, is TBMC after a gig. Or even in the actual venue. I've spent many hours dancing in there when only about 5 of us had the whole place to ourselves and the music was brilliant!

QUOTE]

Last bus my ass!! I was so tired this morning I thought I was going to be sick.

xm

oh I hate being in an empty pub, just feels horrible to me :S Give me jammers anyday, you need that atmosphere, now that the hazey atmosphere that smokers provided is gone, tis good for our lungs at least :)

One of the reasons why whelans is good on the friday/saturday nights. Thursday is Doyles no question about it, Wednesday is the student bar.

I'll agree with you meave though that the TBMC is underated. And good oul eamonn dorans

I'll agree with you too when you spell my name right. ;)
    mx

just cause I have type leperosy! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

and now theyre letting pure ****e like brian mc fadden play there. hello?

Seriously? :confused:

Ha!!!

xm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

well for all yeee feicers lucky enough to live in dublin... the oak is a grand spot... i have a fond memory of that place, and then i passed out... i was in whelans once, that same night actually... i wasn't impressed.. i asked the dj for some turn and he looked at me blankly... that was the friday before goin to witnness jayzuz thats a year and a half ago nearly... i think i'm gonna send a demo to phantom in the hope they'll play it for me... *fingers and toes and eyes crossssed* okidoke anyway gettin back to pubs... on my way from whelans to the oak i found a nice pub called the hairy lemon, i stopped in for a pint cos there used to be a pub in cork called the hairy lemon too... not a bad pint in not a bad pub, might not be everyone's cup of vodka though.... grand place to maybe start off for one or two before movin on to greener pastures...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

Ste K wrote:
    Death of Whelans??? Or am I late

I dont know about you, but I was away for a while (a year) and since I have come back I realised things have changed man... and whelans as I knew is dead.

Listen....
    The bar pracitcally remains the same up until 11 and then the night club kicks in.

Regarding the crowd, To some degree on Thurs and definatly Fri, Sat, the characters have changed to a more generic ('sure I like rock') crowd. Plus the crowds have got massive, absolutely jammers, and very uncomfortable.

Regarding the music even in the last few months it has gone down hill and on Fri and Sat extremely predictable. I can literaly guess with a 70% accuracy what song is coming up next. One of the DJ's (fridays I belive) actually just had one CD-R and plays the songs from that.

Its become boring, crampt, and less of fun crowd.

Maybe I'm just becoming old, but I dont know what you kids like anymore.

Bring back the good old days of Phantasim, and where you might hear some slightly left of centre rock tunes, unlike what it is now i.e. new band stuff, 5 strokes songs, the complimentary 30min olde tunes of zepplin, Hendrix, through in a few tunes from Resovoir Dogs, Where is my mind, debaser, Cannonball all in a row and another Strokes and finish off with Jeff B or Damien D.

Any suggestions for a new club anyone, where can I go out?
    Okay Steve, where do I start. I love ya and all, but you are a fool. The bar does stay the same till 11 pm what else would it do) but the music in the bar is actually better than in the club, cause Packie has decent taste.

This "sure I like rock" thing you're talking about ... you're one of em!

I agree about the predictability of the music wholeheartedly. A few weeks ago I stood at the end of the bar to check out this theory of the Whelans CD-R. I watched as the DJ repeadly changed the CD that was in the left hand cd-player and didn't touch the right one, that was actually playing. This was the guy with hair by the way (thursday guy) not bald man Saturday (he's better but still as predictable). By the way, you left out the manditory "Hey Ya".

It's becoming cramped ... true.
    It's becoming boring ....... I know you don't believe that. Anyway where doesn't if you go every thursday. I should know.
    The crowd is less fun ...... Now I take personal offence to this. Bring back Carl.

"Any suggestions for a new club?" how about that place for lease on Nassau Street?

Startled frog (if that is in fact your real name) .... nail -> head.
    just get so drunk you can't remember what songs were played....problem solved
    Works every time
    marwood wrote:
    As for the girls, the village customers are nicer but the whelans staff are cute. esp the babe who does the paintings........
    Get your filthy little hands off her marwood, she's mine!

The Oak was good but it's too small and pints are WAY too expensive. Whelans has the mighty Haufbrau at a fine price. Doyles "keeps it real" but it's twice as packed as whelans.

What we need is more Whelans, or more thursdays in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

In my bad books, Mr Kev Patts hiding behind a impenetrable forcefield of a username.

Anyway I agree should be more thursdays in the week.

Regarding me being one of those rockers, sure I like some of the songs but I dont want to hear 5 strokes songs on one night and you know as well as me that, that happens.

And it was you who told me it was the bald guy, with the CD-R and not John Walshe, he played Super Furries last week, it was great.

Apparently after an ex-westlife memebers show, there was much Eninem and Beyoce Knowles and copious amounts of crap, even my little sister was dissapointed.

The Fact brian is playing there is a little bit sell out ish, soon they we have me doing my favourite covers then that will be the end of whelans.

oh see you there on thurs Kev, you owe me a beer!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

Steve, I don't owe you a beer. You smashed my Haufbrau, remember? What's all this about "Maybe I'm getting too old"? You're in your prime, your heyday Steve. Don't take it for granted.

I didn't know which DJ it was, I think I just picked one at the time I was telling you. I now know it was Hair Boy.

I notice you didn't reply about the state of whelans female talent Steve, a nervous subject to be discussing on a public forum?

Yours Sincerely,
    KEVIN PATTISON

Advertisement