Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Whelans??? Or am I late

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

Regarding the women, you and I know that there had been excellent and poor attendences by the oppisite sex, I was just wondering whether the village had anything to offer cause I dont want to get into a situation like our long-haired lover did, i.e. hiding behind amps from crazy swede's and 30yr olds.

And you better start making a move on the ladies of the bar there or else your going to be too late KEVIN PATTERSON.

Well since I get paid this wed, I shall be able to purchase you that hoff-brau however I never remember smashing one previously??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

Okay, you've known me for how long and we've had this conversation how many times and you still can't spell my name right.

YOU DON'T OWE ME A HAUFBRAU! We're quits since you broke mine. I owed you one before.

anyway. and memaeve, I like the daniel johns pic. good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Thank you again. :)
    I'm just impressed you recognise him!
    Pretty picture alright.
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bumblebeemouth

I definitely have to take kevs side on this one ste, whelans rocks, it has always rocked and will always rock. It is the best thing that has ever happened to thursday night. Sure the music might get predictable even to the point where i can guess every song thats gonna come next (yes i'm nearly at that stage) and at the weekend its gonna get packed to the point where you cant help but knock everyones drink over while running away from some crazed middle aged female who just doesnt understand "no", while having to put up with the strokes or the hives or whatever other band begins with the but what about................

the part when rage against the machine comes on and all the stupid people get out of your way and let you go crazy

the part when where is my mind comes on and everybody goes oooooooooooo

the part where you bump into somebody cool who likes the same cool **** that you do that isn't into dressing up like a complete muppet with all that makeup and fake tan that the kids are wearing these days

the part where kev eats a cigarette

Where else you gonna find good times like these - nowhere (until we start up a really cool place which is gonna happen as soon as my parents give me enough money)

So heres to whelans, let the good times roll, see ya thursday!!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

No.

• Advertisement

IanluvsKathleen, you a buzz-wrecker.

the part when you spit on Moe's face from accross the dancefloor.

the part when you realise that you've left your jacket there ... again.

the part when I go up and request She Don't Use Jelly, knowing that he won't have it.

the part when Dave arrives and the night gets serious (come soon back Dave).

the part when Steve scores another minger.

the part when I don't.

the part when someone you haven't seen in ages wanders in.

the part when all you dignity hits the floor along with your trousers.

the part when Ross does the Robot or Steve does his Mancunian dance.

the part when we go to Gravediggers afterwards and puke all over the place.

those parts are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

kevpatts wrote:
    the part when Ross does the Robot

thats gonna make anybodys night!!! :cool:

Mingers what mingers...????? :D

I never touched one, here kev follow this link (http://www.superfurry.com/acatalog/New_Designs.html) you a moe can get me this for christmas and I swear I'll wear it everytime we go to whelans (look at the first t-shirt or if I attached it right)!

Oh I suppose I am with mingers but they have lovely personalities?

Who am I kidding...

myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

Whelan's was a great place to go but I stopped going after my mate was racially harrassed there... :(:(:(

So was I but that can happen in any club in dublin. The clientelle in Whelans are generally more amenable than in most clubs.

• Advertisement

kevpatts wrote:
    So was I but that can happen in any club in dublin. The clientelle in Whelans are generally more amenable than in most clubs.

In general, yes. A mostly decent bunch...

apart from the two 18 stone southside clown shoes who looked like that famous irish rugby lad and were dressed in the all blacks jersey and who spent the whole evening upstairs screaming and doing that scary new zealand jig thingy. there a lot of said aszhole types attending recently. and a lot of dudes that look like they got lost on their way to capital or flannerys.

apart from the two 18 stone southside clown shoes who looked like that famous irish rugby lad and were dressed in the all blacks jersey and.... there a lot of said aszhole types attending recently. and a lot of dudes that look like they got lost on their way to capital or flannerys.

Emily:- 'Sure Whelans is where they play all that rock and roll stuff, we should go check it out Ross you know, isnt Fionala into The Strokes, it would be so cool and then we can head onto Coppers after...'

Ross O'Carrol Kelly:- Roysh sound, yeah the lads said the burds there do anal and stuff, mad rawker girls and stuff, they were leather and stuff...massive call lads.

Mmm. Well I find the racists a wee bit more scary than the rugger types but I get the picture ;)

Yes however Rugger Buggers inert fear of homosexuality and lack of intelligence usually leads them to be racist pricks as well. Only the stupid fear, and fear and ingnorance breeds racism.

Mmm. Well I find the racists a wee bit more scary than the rugger types but I get the picture ;)

I'm not a racist just a snob who hate people who like things because its suddenly "cool". If they want to listen to Franz Ferdinand go to Redz the music is whelans is already sh!te as it is.

I'm not really a snob...well maybe i am a bit.

I'm not a racist just a snob who hate people who like things because its suddenly "cool". If they want to listen to Franz Ferdinand go to Redz the music is whelans is already sh!te as it is.

I'm not really a snob...well maybe i am a bit.

Ah! A music snob. Excellent. ;)

I was put off by the prospect of listening to FF for ages because

1. The hype, the endless hype. Marketing music gone mental. They can't be any good.

2. The A&R blokes. Sat in a select little boozer in West London, I had to endure a rather loud conversation from a couple of middle-aged company reps, allegedly flying the world to promote FF. Eugh. Boors the both of 'em. Put me off me pint as well.

Then...

I heard a few tracks. Not bad. Kinda retro but not bad. So I picked up the album and found it to be quite pleasurable.

Do I feel guilty? Nah, glad I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Oops, am I de-railing the thread? Apologies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Music wasn't nearly as predictable last night, maybe they read this thread?? :)
    xm

memaeve wrote:
    Music wasn't nearly as predictable last night, maybe they read this thread?? :)
    xm
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was in Whelans. You may have noticed the music has been a little different on Thursday and fridsay nights this week. I made a stand and got soe better tunes played, especially in the bar on thursday. Tonight I asked the DY (baldy fella) for a special request ... something different. He told me to go to Zanzibar if I want something different! I said I would but it's the same story there only worse music. Then, at the very end of Outcast, too late for him to change the CD, I asked him if The Smiths and Morrisey were next (cheers Moe), and guess what was next. I don't think he'll take any more requests from me.

Thursday night guy has promise though, he took my critisism well and played some better tunes (only a few). there's a light, and I'm gonna piss em off till I'm blinded by it.

Kev

p.s. I think I'm immune to Haufbrau

pp.ss. anyone know Simon in there (looks like Jesus)? him and I have just passed the 46th Thursday night in Whelans this this year! he's going for the big 50. Unfortunately I'm off to America for Xmas so I'll only make 49, but I wish him all the best in surviving next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭grimey

You'll never guess who I met in there on Saturday night - quite funny after all this talk of rugger guys frequenting the place! None other that Brian O'Driscoll - I mean what the hell was he doing there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bumblebeemouth

kevpatts wrote:
    pp.ss. anyone know Simon in there (looks like Jesus)?

I know Simon! Wahoo

Sure your one of his 12 disciples bumblebeemouth, I have been know to follow Simon in a pair of sandles on occasion too, that trick he does with the water and wine gets me every time. He always thinks water is wine, and falls over after drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

I don't know Simon. And I usually know everyone in there.

I once saw 3 scangers in whelans. With their jumpers and really white runners. It was a Declan O Rourke gig.
    They looked very uncomfortable.

I miss whelans

I once saw 3 scangers in whelans. With their jumpers and really white runners.

Terrifying. Did you alert the Gardaí?

Advertisement