Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dwight Yorke Racism Incident

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

When I was at a United versus Blackburn game two or three years ago (just after Andy Cole moved to Blackburn), there was alot of racist chants coming from the Blackburn fans. Andy Cole was the only black player in the Blackburn side that day. I was very surprised that their attitude back then. But it was no surprise to see that happen yesterday, especially after being at that game two years ago.

There is still alot of racism in football in England, no matter what the media says. I heard a guy being interviewed on tv there today and he said that it only happened as a knock on effect to what happened in Madrid. BS! It has always been there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

When I was at a United versus Blackburn game two or three years ago (just after Andy Cole moved to Blackburn), there was alot of racist chants coming from the Blackburn fans. Andy Cole was the only black player in the Blackburn side that day. I was very surprised that their attitude back then. But it was no surprise to see that happen yesterday, especially after being at that game two years ago.

Yes what a suprise there was one or 2 idots in a group of 30,000!

FFS, the guy who was responsibe was caught and ejected. Its not like large section of crowd were involved, or the coach incited the behavior, as in spain.

This really is a case thats being blown out of proportion. I mean there's bound to be the asshole in a group of thats size. The important thing is to punish those involved and send out the message that such behavior wont be tolerated. However the media reporting of the incident can be counter productive.

X

Yes what a suprise there was one or 2 idots in a group of 30,000!

FFS, the guy who was responsibe was caught and ejected. Its not like large section of crowd were involved, or the coach incited the behavior, as in spain.

This really is a case thats being blown out of proportion. I mean there's bound to be the asshole in a group of thats size. The important thing is to punish those involved and send out the message that such behavior wont be tolerated. However the media reporting of the incident can be counter productive.

X
    Yes, obviously with cases like these it is minorities that are involved. But I was just saying that I was in Old Trafford two years ago and I heard a few chants from the Rovers end which I will not post here. Now it is most likely that this has been addressed and there are probably very few of these Blackburn "fans" around now. But I heard what I heard and that is why I said that I wasn't surprised at what happened yesterday with Dwight Yorke.

That is all I was saying. You are probably correct about the reporting of the incident by the media being counter productive. But there is a problem there that still needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

stop going on about how u were in old trafford. ah but it is a knock-on from madrid in one sense. these jackasss saw that ppl in madrid did it and got away wit it and they think they can do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

OR they are just a bunch of racist pigs.. Simple..

I am actually delighted that this has happened so soon after what happened in Spain. The way the English and their media were going on you would swear that they have never put a foot wrong in recent years. They conveniently forgot that during Euro 2004 their fans were going around Portugal looking for Irish bars to trash..

What happened in Spain was a joke but every other country is just as bad, including Ireland. Monkey noises may not be heard from the stands but it occurs is so many other ways..

• Advertisement

OR they are just a bunch of racist pigs.. Simple..
    yes but they probly feared about getting into trouble but saw that the biggits in madrid got away with it, so mite they.

Gangsta wrote:
    yes but they probly feared about getting into trouble but saw that the biggits in madrid got away with it, so mite they.

Not at all..

They probably noticed the effect it had on the England's teams performance against Spain and hoped it would have the same effect on Brum..

On an other note.. Why is it worse to make monkey noises at players than it it is to taunt Liverpool fans over the Hillborough and other disasters were many people died or even just calling Richard Dunne a "fat Bastard..

Not at all..

They probably noticed the effect it had on the England's teams performance against Spain and hoped it would have the same effect on Brum..

On an other note.. Why is it worse to make monkey noises at players than it it is to taunt Liverpool fans over the Hillborough and other disasters were many people died or even just calling Richard Dunne a "fat Bastard..

ah they're not that clever.

hm...i dont know bout that lpool incident but ppl r black by birth, dunne is fat by choice ;)

Gangsta wrote:
    hm...i dont know bout that lpool incident but ppl r black by birth, dunne is fat by choice ;)

Or any other slagging at that.. What about slagging red heads.. Surely slagging someones hair colour is as bad as slagging their skin colour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

They conveniently forgot that during Euro 2004 their fans were going around Portugal looking for Irish bars to trash..

No, Englands fans were getting on well with the locals and enjoying themselves, a bunch of knuckle dragging scumbags who just happen to be English were doing what you say

• Advertisement

Harry2001 wrote:
    No, Englands fans were getting on well with the locals and enjoying themselves, a bunch of knuckle dragging scumbags who just happen to be English were doing what you say

So, they were English fans then?

Gangsta wrote:
    stop going on about how u were in old trafford. ah but it is a knock-on from madrid in one sense. these jackasss saw that ppl in madrid did it and got away wit it and they think they can do the same.
    I was making a point... :rolleyes:

This whole thing has been blow out of proportion , the reason being is the FA have to do somthing to cover themself after what happened in the spain game .
    Chelsea and millwall are worse you dont even see black people in the croud.I was at a game against Newcastle and i was subjected F%$£ing Paddy chants , i never saw anything about that in the news after it was reported.
    Blackburn was one of the safest grouds to go to .
    What happened yesterday was a stupid copycat who has no clue. He was dealt with and ejected from the croud .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two arrests were made and one of the "arrestees" handed himself in when he saw the footage on TV. He was fined 1 grand and banned for 5 years from attending any games in England or Wales. He is also writing a personal appology to Yorke and to Birmingham City FC. The guy in question realised he'd been a plonker so he's an idiot not evil. Unlike the Nazi swastika scum who follow Real Madrid.

Mike.

Advertisement