Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox banned from Live for different HD ONLY

Options
  • 22-11-2004 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

The new Live update I downloaded with Halo 2 has now banned my XBox from Live. This is because I replaced my failed HD with a larger non-standard one via a softmod. Apparently Live now checks the BIOS and the HD, maybe just for size differences, but it might also search for things like extra partitions and EvoX files, etc.

Just to warn anyone else out there who might play Live with their chip turned off for example.

Now, anyone got a cheap Xbox they don't want?

Ciarán.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Gutted for you.
    I just replaced my dvd-rom drive because of failure so I hope they wont check that..(not connected to broadband - waiting on a router so haven't tested it since new dvd)
    Langers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah i posted up a few threads+links warning about this.

one really important question: did you replace the hd before or after you subscribed to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

what does microsoft think is so bad about changing the hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its pretty much conclusive proof for them that the xbox has been modded..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Modded Xbox means those people are more likely to do things like play cracked/copied games. They make their money on the games, not the consoles themselves. They're just protecting their investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Well, I haven't been booted yet & have been on for over a week now. Explain that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bill Gates

I have to ban all those evil xboxes, so you poor folk have to buy another xbox from ME!!! :D MUHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

koneko wrote:
    Modded Xbox means those people are more likely to do things like play cracked/copied games. They make their money on the games, not the consoles themselves. They're just protecting their investment.

well its one thing to ban people for having a mod chip in their system
    but banning them for replacing a hard drive or dvd drive?
    if a drive fails i dont think you should be forced to have ms fix it when you can do it yourself cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't think replacing the DVD drive affects it, it's just HDs. I'm not saying I agree with the tactic, I'm just saying why they're doing it (most likely). Statistics-wise though, how many people that replace their HDs are doing it becuase the other one is faulty? Very few I'd imagine.

Len_007 wrote:
    Well, I haven't been booted yet & have been on for over a week now. Explain that

I'd put money on it that you signed up for live AFTER you had your HDD changed out.

When you sign up first it records your system serial numbers for the components. If they change from the original serials in the future after sign up...see ya.

Moral of the story: if your going to mod your box, get it done prior to signing up for live.

All of the above is unconfirmed, and you are unlikely to get microsoft to tell you whether its true or not... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I've been subscribed to Live for some time - I was an Irish beta tester. My original HD has been slowly failing for the past few months - it would start up about half the time, the rest of the time it would give the Error 7 screen. I used a tool to clone the old disk onto a new one, and installed it the other day. Then the other day I downloaded the Live update, and then today I'm banned :(

I agree with koneko that most people that swap their drives are doing it to get more space to store ripped stuff. I can see Microsoft's point - where do they draw the line?

Now I'm wishing that I had forked out the 110 euros to get it fixed, instead of paying for a new drive for a lot less. Still, I can use the existing box, just not on Live. I'll be able to play system link games with it, which isn't too bad. Just a shame that I'll probably have to fork out over 100 euros, just to get back on Live. :( And before anyone starts giving out, I think Live is worth having, especially for games like Halo 2. I'm just finding it hard to justify spending that much for it alone.

Ciarán.

Bill Gates wrote:
    I have to ban all those evil xboxes, so you poor folk have to buy another xbox from ME!!! :D MUHAHAHA

Ironically, the oppostie is true!! Microsoft sell each xbox console at a loss, as does nearly very other console manufacturer. It is the software that makes the money!!

So by buying an xbox and not buying software, MS are loosing money..

just buy a second hand unmodded xbox and use that for playing games on live!! How much would one cost, 80 quid?

There losing more on unsold xboxes though. If they could everyone to buy 2 because one is banned from live...it would be better for them. They still have to pay their suppliers..

Suppose so.. I wonder would it encourage them to buy an other xbox though or would they buy another companies console.. Thus loosing the customer altogether!!

good point, i reckon most people by now though have made their allegience. Although saying that if you shelled out for a live sub, it might mean your interested in live and therefore not want to reside in offline world with a ps2 or GC.
    But yea, piss them off and they will leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

just buy a second hand unmodded xbox and use that for playing games on live!! How much would one cost, 80 quid?

That's the (new) plan :) Anyone got one to spare?

Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bill Gates

Ironically, the oppostie is true!! Microsoft sell each xbox console at a loss, as does nearly very other console manufacturer. It is the software that makes the money!!

Thats what we want you to think! :D

Advertisement