Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pressie ideas!!

• 22-11-2004 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Tis the season to traipse around a never ending parade of tinsel drowned shops trying to think up something to bring a faint flicker of a polite grin to auntie bessie's face in that solitary 8 minutes a year you see her and she remembers who you are. But what to buy?

Ok, perhaps a tad harsh, but if anyone has ideas it could be handy to share them. My flatmate is buying her parents a weekend in a swish holiday in the west. I thought that was a nice idea, anything like that, for any member of the family...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're looking for the sort of presents that fall within "I have to buy you something but I don't love you that much" price range, I find it's a good idea to find one of those "stuff you never knew you needed" shops. The sort that sell scented candles in all shapes and sizes, various bits and pieces of tableware, unusual trinkets and gewgaws, other shiny items.

Then go and spend some money on quality wrapping paper, ribbons and cards. You can get away with all kinds of crap if it's wrapped nicely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isn't it mad that there are entire industries out there dedicated to making items for people who don't want to buy them for people they don't like who'll never use them?

I may have slaughtered a clause or two there, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

any idea what i could get my boyfriend?
    goin out 2 years so it gotta be good , i was thinking mp3 player for starters?he dont want clothes , anything kinda out of the ordinary that makes a good present , he has xbox ps2 puter , i dunno what to get him.?
    wow trajan would a weekend away work out as a very dear christmas present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trajan

MP3 player is s good idea as is the playstation. Although consider that a playstation will likely enslave him to its wicked spell. It'll be hey you coming out tonight? Um no, I have, er, a killer contagion, have to stay alone home...etc
    Yeah thats a pricey prez but it was between all the sisters in a big family so not so bad.

na he already had xbox and playstation an were livin together so im well used to that , any other ideas so?
    yea if ye could afford the weekend away thats a great idea , throw in a bottle o perfume too , my mothjer jus looked so dissapointed that 1 year nobody bought her perfume , maybe thats jus my mam tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    na he already had xbox and playstation an were livin together so im well used to that , any other ideas so?
    yea if ye could afford the weekend away thats a great idea , throw in a bottle o perfume too , my mothjer jus looked so dissapointed that 1 year nobody bought her perfume , maybe thats jus my mam tho.

What are you getting me ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

olld yellar the mp3 is a great idea, but if he really wants an ipod 40gb and would prob buy one if you dont then make sure you dont get him a 256mb one, that would really put me in an awful position, how about a new phone? or spooky candles that melt down the side in haunted houses, he play guitar? get a tablature book of a band he likes (just listing some stuff id be really happy with....) weekend away.... will post up more when i think of something

yea he does play guitar , heard him on about a new case , an i was thinkin playsation game mp3 player and guitar case , ah i dunno , hes hard to buy for .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    any idea what i could get my boyfriend?
    goin out 2 years so it gotta be good , i was thinking mp3 player for starters?he dont want clothes , anything kinda out of the ordinary that makes a good present , he has xbox ps2 puter , i dunno what to get him.?
    wow trajan would a weekend away work out as a very dear christmas present?

I'm at the stage where i have run out of the good normal presents to get my boyfriend so with the help of a friend I'm getting him tickets to a soccer match in liverpool and then we'll stay there for a few extra nights as well.
    He loves both liverpool FC and the Beatles so it should go down well.
    It depends where you want to go on a trip and where you are willing to stay, but all going well I should do fairly reasonably.

And the best is - its a present for me as well :D:D:D

aww wow thats a really cool present!!
    doubt i could afford tickets to see man u playing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

You'd be surprised Oldyellar, I was informed today that there are all types of different matches and while most of them are big matches thats cost a fortune and thats if you can get a ticket, there are little matches as well that not many will go to and are therefore cheaper.(My boyfried will just be overjoyed at being in Anfield-I hope) Saying all that I have no idea about man u, Probably are dearer because they are so popular, but you should check it out.
    Otehr than that i was thinking concert tickets. And a complete set of cd's, again he dosen't have all the beatles, so I was going to buy them all on cd, actually works out quiet costly but a nice idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah I'm in the same boat this year and kinda broke on top of it all!! It'll be our 5th Christmas together, and it's his birthday on 31st!!

Have all the usual presents got through the past few years.. so really out of ideas now!! think I'll have to win the lotto and treat him!! anyone have any ideas for me?

yea i was goina do that cd thing with metallica but i found out then he would`nt want that as a pressie , but i seriously think that match thing your doing is deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

the thing with presents is they need to come from the heart, for example this year my friends are all getting crappy pictures I will make. If they don't appreciate them... they're not really my friends, now are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trajan

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    the thing with presents is they need to come from the heart, for example this year my friends are all getting crappy pictures I will make. If they don't appreciate them... they're not really my friends, now are they?

so, Nasty the chief criterion for your choice of friends is if they'll accept sh1te presents from you? There's something to be said for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cool presents I've known friends to get from their girlfriends:

Parachute Jump
    Driving Day in Mondello Park
    New Mobile
    Gameboy Advance
    MP3 Player
    Decent Digital Camera (3 megapixels and above is fine)

Or you could go with one I got an ex myself: Weekend in Paris in January. - Cheap time for flights with Ryanair, cheap hotels and you can get a meal for 2 (with wine) in the latin quarter for €15. you can pull off a long weekend for about €300 if you book well (would be cheaper again to go mid-week).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Isn't it mad that there are entire industries out there dedicated to making items for people who don't want to buy them for people they don't like who'll never use them?

I may have slaughtered a clause or two there, sorry.

Here's a constructive alternative

http://www.greatgifts.org

Better than the hassle of buying yet more crap for people who already have too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Boots is always a good one... 3. for 2 gifts!! Get one of them free yay!!

yea boots is handy for friends awrite , yay every1 gets a good wash for christmas , heh jus messin , it is handy though i always keep the free one though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I got my brother and his wife an icecream maker! Great or wha'?

Got my mother a Bonsai tree last year, and she had it dead in three months... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Once got a then boyfriend an indestructible nutcracker as part of his Christmas present...

The main point of a present is not the cost but the thought and time taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I had been wrecking my head for the last week trying to figure out what to get my g/f for christmas & then it hit me (not her btw!); she wants to do a bit of travelling since she's done NONE whatsoever, so Christmas morning she gets a postcard of 'Prague' for example, with 'Wish you were here?' on the back of it & then buy her a weekend there for sometime after christmas of her choosing ;)

Therefore I kill 3 birds with one stone; (1) she gets to travel, (2) we spend time together & (3) I come out smelling of god damn roses - wooohooo, hehehehehehe

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

trajan wrote:
    so, Nasty the chief criterion for your choice of friends is if they'll accept sh1te presents from you? There's something to be said for that...
    No they've been my friends for ages so they should appreciate my artistic expressions and keep them as a token of my existence for when I dissappear next year anyway they all have enough feckin money anyway so it's a toss up between something semi meaningful or something retardly cheap and useless.
    Ah who am I kidding I'm just tight. Best pressie I ever got was a pet chipmunk, but that was for an anniversy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i remember him thats one scary chipmunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Teenys not scary! You're just afraid of her cuteness.

Best present I got? mmmmmmm I don't know, I like everything really. If someone took the time and effort to make/get something that you would like then its means a lot. Especally make......that takes a lot of time and effort. I

f you base your relationships on how decent your gifts are, you can't really like eachother. Surely its the thought and feeling that counts. Plus if its really love- be it family, friend or partner -then you should get something that matches them. Money is just money, it wont keep you happy or warm'n'fuzzy. Love does that, Friendship does that. Why should the times when you should feel cherished and loved be dominated by how much someone paid? Going on that rule, you can buy love, if you get the most expensive present, your most loved?

As for your boyfriend, how bout you make a "love promises" coupon book? With stuff he loves doing htta he can redeem at anytime, if there is a cost you foot it? Like a romantic walk, his favorite position, a full body massage, head for an hour etc? Or track down and frame his favorite picture ever?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

gogo wrote:
    I'm at the stage where i have run out of the good normal presents to get my boyfriend so with the help of a friend I'm getting him tickets to a soccer match in liverpool and then we'll stay there for a few extra nights as well.
    He loves both liverpool FC and the Beatles so it should go down well.
    It depends where you want to go on a trip and where you are willing to stay, but all going well I should do fairly reasonably.

And the best is - its a present for me as well :D:D:D

You don't mention Anfield there anywhere; it's not an Everton match is it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

all girlfriends should give the b/f approx 1 hour of head every day over the xmas week:D its free god damn it!! plus you'll get an even better xmas present!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Here is one for the driver you want to buy a pressie for from the lovely people at Tee Shirt Hell :D

http://www.roadragecards.com/main.htm

gandalf wrote:
    Here is one for the driver you want to buy a pressie for from the lovely people at Tee Shirt Hell :D

http://www.roadragecards.com/main.htm
    LOL excellent im getting that for x-mas!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well if your a bloke and like telly, SKY+ won't be thrown back at ya

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cork_girl wrote:
    yeah I'm in the same boat this year and kinda broke on top of it all!! It'll be our 5th Christmas together, and it's his birthday on 31st!!

Have all the usual presents got through the past few years.. so really out of ideas now!! think I'll have to win the lotto and treat him!! anyone have any ideas for me?

Tropical Aquarium with easy to tend fish (e.g. platties?) ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Everyone should visit Funkystore opposite Champion Sports in the Jervis Shopping centre. I can make you a nice gift from old or new photographs. I do ceramic mugs, tshirts, coasters, placemats, keyrings,mousemats, Christmas decorations, bottle openers, Koolart car caricatures, snowglobes, christmas stockings, frames, travel mugs, jewellery boxes, 3d floating cubes and lots of other stuff I can't even think of right now....

What a great PLUGGER I am.

I got chocolate nipples one year , they were pretty cool too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My brother was always getting me unusual things - normally it just expanded my horizons - he got me green slime when I was quite young which I adored. One of the best things that he ever got me was his favorite book by my favorite author - it did not cost much but to me it is priceless.

I got a pendant from someone that had the constellation of Orion on it and two hearts - it was bought in Florence but was from Venice and I was staying near Verona at the time so it represented "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits (one of my favorite songs) which has the line "all I do is kiss you through the bars of Orion" - priceless to me - I always wear it.

One of the nicest present I got was before college was in sixth year, I was out at a friends house. Bit of a party. Anyway I *REALLY* fancied one of the lads there, had done for ages. He was bout 5/6 years older the me so I consigned hime to my spank bank, so to speak, Anywanys night wore on, a lod of them went to town, me being all of 16 and looking it didn't go, as I'd never get served. Anyway he stayed with me, cause he was broke. We were drinking away, and began to flirt. I told him I'd liked him for ages, and that I used to think about him, and it got me horny, even in school which could be embarrassing, but that I was shy to really try anything on me, and Id never fancied anyone as much as I fancied him. He said he thought I was cute, and kinda sexy. It also came out that I'd never had an orgasm.

We kissed, and he touched my boobs, and stuff happened- he gave me my frst orgasm. He gave my cheek a kiss as we all(4 people, one bed) went to sleep, which made it sadly clear that I didn't want to date him, but made me happy that I got to kiss him at any rate

However news came out about what happened, and he though I had spread the rumors. It got nasty probably because he got in trouble with his friend, who liked me. We eventually made up, and I know he wants to take things to the next level (I was a virgin when we mucked around). Not gonna happen, but I got off with my biggest crush, and he still wants to bed me 3 years later. How sweet is that?

• Advertisement

what a scumbag:D

*edit* errr, i mean.... classy guy :D *edit*

newband wrote:
    all girlfriends should give the b/f approx 1 hour of head every day over the xmas week:D its free god damn it!! plus you'll get an even better xmas present!!
    yeah but their pressie is quiet a mouthfull tbh!!! :D

you wish:D

heh your first orgasm naughty girl , that is a kinda deadly pressie awrite ,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I told him I'd liked him for ages, and that I used to think about him, and it got me horny, even in school which could be embarrassing, but that I was shy to really try anything on me, and Id never fancied anyone as much as I fancied him. He said he thought I was cute, and kinda sexy. It also came out that I'd never had an orgasm.

You told him all that?, No offence - but exactly what bit of you is shy? Your self respect?

• Advertisement

OLDYELLER_
    Yeah, I was proud. First in my class to have one,(LOL) and he was sexy. Ah I was so innocent. Didn't want to pursue him at all. And I got to do lots of taking, very little giving. Methinks he maybe got a good deal to though :p

My self respect? Plenty now, not so much at the time, and I'm not shy when I get to know someone. Ive got lots of confidence. Whats the worst that can happen? At least I won't die wondering "what if"...........

fair play , you were mad into him , you got your jollies :) heh and he got a whole load a time lustin after ya , sweet!
    worked out really well for you actually.

Yup, amazing what a female with attitude can do to a man.

So women of the boards take notice....strap on a pair, look out for number one, but stay nice and you can't lose.

Advertisement